Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 173 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hot Take: The Storyteller is a significantly better icon than the Queen despite her origins. As a familiar-but-twisted archetype she fits in much better with the other icons then the over-designed dark-fantasy Queen. Her vague backstory is an advantage (as it is with the other icons) because she can be used in a wider variety of situations and her “lore” can be adapted to fit the needs of new events, something the overly-specific concept of the Queen makes more difficult.
In terms of looking back in time on paper and reading up on their storylines on a Wiki page and figuring out where their backstory (that nobody but the super HHN nerds know) could go in the future? Sure.

In terms of being at the event, seeing the Terraqueen show, seeing her minions, motorcycles in the zones, and the vine/root logos and sineage? NO WAY.

I think if you were able to poll people at the event that year, like me, 99.9% would say the Queen was a million times better.

In terms of looking back in time on paper and reading up on their storylines on a Wiki page and figuring out where their backstory (that nobody but the super HHN nerds know) could go in the future? Sure.

In terms of being at the event, seeing the Terraqueen show, seeing her minions, motorcycles in the zones, and the vine/root logos and sineage? NO WAY.

I think if you were able to poll people at the event that year, like me, 99.9% would say the Queen was a million times better.
I was at the event.

The Queen was much more prominent, yes. Her zone - the vines, motorcycles, etc - had cool elements but wasn’t coherent unless you knew the “lore,” and even then it was a patchwork of ideas that didn’t fit comfortably together.

An icon needs to work for both the general public and the super fans. That’s why immediately recognizable archetypes, usually with a connection to forms of entertainment, works - it allows guests to immediately grasp the basic concept and the way the concept pertains to the zone, house, and/or overall event. Evil storyteller calling horrific fictions into reality makes immediate sense. Evil Queen with fantasy tree aesthetic, a Mouth of Sauron/Wormtongue mashup, and a motorcycle gang ruling a world of dinosaurs and clowns… doesn’t.

PS: You also have to be careful the icons don’t get TOO close to reality - the horror needs to stay pure fantasy. That’s the problem with the Director.

Last edited:
I think Pumpkin Lord and Oddfellow really hit close to bullseye when it came to bridging the gap between GP and superfans.

- Really fun design and persona that make people go "Hey, that guy looks pretty cool." and works as a fun way to greet guests and set the tone for anyone walking through the entrance gates.
- Greater lore significance and connections across multiple years for returning guests, but also pretty simple at a glance for newcomers.
- Sets a broad but specific theme for the zones and houses that are set around their respective years.

Pumpkin Lord's theme was Halloween, so the loop was Psychobilly like a Halloween Party, all of the zones were very traditionally Weeny, and they literally had "Halloween" as an IP that year. Oddfellow was less specific and honestly his character has a lot going on (maybe too much? :nervous: ), but his influence was felt through each zone by superfans in the know and even some houses like Dueling Dragons and of course his own Icon house.

I'd love to see this formula done a few more times at least because I think it's a really good way to give each year a specific and distinct vibe from each other.

I was at the event.

The Queen was much more prominent, yes. Her zone - the vines, motorcycles, etc - had cool elements but wasn’t coherent unless you knew the “lore,” and even then it was a patchwork of ideas that didn’t fit comfortably together.

An icon needs to work for both the general public and the super fans. That’s why immediately recognizable archetypes, usually with a connection to forms of entertainment, works - it allows guests to immediately grasp the basic concept and the way the concept pertains to the zone, house, and/or overall event. Evil storyteller calling horrific fictions into reality makes immediate sense. Evil Queen with fantasy tree aesthetic, a Mouth of Sauron/Wormtongue mashup, and a motorcycle gang ruling a world of dinosaurs and clowns… doesn’t.

PS: You also have to be careful the icons don’t get TOO close to reality - the horror needs to stay pure fantasy. That’s the problem with the Director.
To be fair, when has the backstory of a HHN ever made sense (as in it ISN’T a “patchwork of ideas”)? You brought up the Director, and in his year, there were jungles, funhouses, and toxic wastelands which really didn’t tie into him in either a story or visual sense.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Not. Even. Remotely. True.

First of all. There were zero clowns except for the random Jack cameo over at Rat Run.

If guests can't grasp the concept of a hell world ruled by a badass busty tyrannical blood-thirsty queen... then, that's on them. And let's not forget, these same guests can't remember/don't know what they've done even with a park map (RIP) in their hand.

and for the record, the Bonechopper Riders were contained in the city of Iron Bone Gorge, NOT Gorewood Forest, which was NOT a "world of dinos".

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
No dog in the fight but the conceptual idea of a Grandmotherly Storyteller with the power to unleash whatever dark, deep nightmares upon the world is a lot more interesting to me than Evil Woman God from Hardcore Lord of the Rings.

You could do so many things and go so many ways with a character like The Storyteller whereas you're kind of limited with the Terra Queen, IMO, of course.

No dog in the fight but the conceptual idea of a Grandmotherly Storyteller with the power to unleash whatever dark, deep nightmares upon the world is a lot more interesting to me than Evil Woman God from Hardcore Lord of the Rings.

You could do so many things and go so many ways with a character like The Storyteller whereas you're kind of limited with the Terra Queen, IMO, of course.

The idea is definitely better, and much more appealing to a broader audience.

But in this specific example, since the Queen concept was worked on much more extensively and wasn’t tacked on like the Storyteller - it worked better. Had Elsa gotten a proper integration, it’s possible we’d be having a different discussion.

The idea is definitely better, and much more appealing to a broader audience.

But in this specific example, since the Queen concept was worked on much more extensively and wasn’t tacked on like the Storyteller - it worked better. Had Elsa gotten a proper integration, it’s possible we’d be having a different discussion.

Exactly, but even with the Terra Queen's fleshed out backstory I've just never been that much of a fan. For a one and done? Sure, it was a fun idea but I legitimately don't think she needed to be brought back (nor does she need to return).

Reactions: theuberguberman
I think they were on to something with making The Storyteller a shapeshifter for HHN30, but in my opinion, they went in the wrong direction. It would've been cleaner/more satisfying if she simply turned into the Terra Queen -- then the Queen and Elsa could be united in the lore, one and the same.

I think they were on to something with making The Storyteller a shapeshifter for HHN30, but in my opinion, they went in the wrong direction. It would've been cleaner/more satisfying if she simply turned into the Terra Queen -- then the Queen and Elsa could be united in the lore, one and the same.
She should have just turned into the Terra Queen. Would have made was more sense. Instead she turned into this demon we never seen before and probably won’t see again. It was really kind of pointless to add that to her story unless we see her again. It was a great scare though. Seeing her shadow as she transforms then you turn the corner and boom there it was. HHN 30 was really a great year. It suffered due to the year and its restrictions and that took away from it.

She should have just turned into the Terra Queen. Would have made was more sense. Instead she turned into this demon we never seen before and probably won’t see again. It was really kind of pointless to add that to her story unless we see her again. It was a great scare though. Seeing her shadow as she transforms then you turn the corner and boom there it was. HHN 30 was really a great year. It suffered due to the year and its restrictions and that took away from it.
I agree with everything your saying but at the end of the day the scare is what truly matters

She turned into a demon because grandma's aren't scary, but big scary monsters are

Both years since Minions Town came into existence there was a greeter / icon at the park entrance - isn't this just the new normal?

Didn't know Major Sweets was married ha, but can see them being the dual icons

It was a good commercial. Her telling a bedtime story to revealing the guy is on the bed of nails. To finish with sweet dream and her cutting the rope.
It also fit that era. OG Eddie, Caretaker, Director, and Storyteller were all very human with a hint of evil paranormal power. Jake, even as an undead clown, was an evil evil human. Mary, even as an spirit, was an evil evil human.

It’s one of the reasons Usher never did much for me. He never read as “evil” until after he died.

It also fit that era. OG Eddie, Caretaker, Director, and Storyteller were all very human with a hint of evil paranormal power. Jake, even as an undead clown, was an evil evil human. Mary, even as an spirit, was an evil evil human.

It’s one of the reasons Usher never did much for me. He never read as “evil” until after he died.
He's barely evil, he's like Lawful Neutral

Reactions: bdubsCEO

2000 Jack’s backstory is one of the creepiest tales I’ve ever read. The Mary Agana part of Bloody Mary is definitely the most notable thing about her, without it she wouldn’t have worked.

To be fair, guests only saw Usher after he died, never as a living being. Same goes for all of the undead icons.