Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
New Soundstage - the most cost prohibitive option. The parks actually RENT THE SOUNDSTAGES FOR HHN. So, not only would they have to pay to rent the soundstage for three months, they’d have to pay to build a theater annually (to include seating) on top of the standard show production costs. This would also significantly impact crowd flow at the front of the park and cause congestion exactly where it needs to be fixed the most.

Costs, crowd control, backstage politics, the availability and interest of the design team itself… all of those things matter. It’s not as simple as “there’s a theater right there.” Some venues have been off limits to HHN for 30 years… and there are probably reasons for it.
This is an informative post, but it highlights the core of the debate here. Why would a guest, whose ticket price to HHN and to the park itself have increased very dramatically over the last several years (a full $100 dollars this year alone for APs) care that adding a soundstage show might be costly (particularly when a large portion of that cost is, I believe, just moving money from one division of Comcast to another)? The refusal to consider that cost is entirely a restriction Universal has imposed on ITSELF, a choice.

If posters were demanding Universal build an entirely new HHN theme park attached to the current Studios, sure, it would be fair to call that unrealistic even if it might be a fun topic of discussion. Even pointing out the logistical difficulties of using the Bourne stage is interesting, though one could still discuss theoretical ways around those difficulties on a message board like this. But when posters start demanding other fans solve the minutiae of staffing and guest flow WITHIN Universal's SELF-IMPOSED financial limitations, that's not really fair - particularly because the implicit and not unreasonable assumption of a lot of criticisms are that those financial limitations are overly restrictive given the scope and profitability of the event. It isn't our responsibility to maximize Comcast's profit margins.

To be cynical, if Universal could charge an entrance fee for every maze, every zone, every show, every themed bar or store, every element that might give guests something to do and ease overcrowding, all sorts of new options would present themselves. Those options, of course, are already present, even without a clear and demonstrable ROI. Uni just chooses not to consider them.

Last edited:
This is an informative post, but it highlights the core of the debate here. Why would a guest, whose ticket price to HHN and to the park itself have increased very dramatically over the last several years (a full $100 dollars this year alone for APs) care that adding a soundstage show might be costly (particularly when a large portion of that cost is, I believe, just moving money from one division of Comcast to another)? The refusal to consider that cost is entirely a restriction Universal has imposed on ITSELF, a choice.
I don't think anyone needs to care about the cost of a soundstage show. They need to decide if the offerings are worth the price of admission. Clearly, many people still do. If your argument is, "corporations should be less greedy," I'm happy to say we're in full agreement. But it feels totally fruitless to base a discussion around the relative greed of Comcast.
But when posters start demanding other fans solve the minutiae of staffing and guest flow WITHIN Universal's SELF-IMPOSED financial limitations, that's not really fair - particularly because the implicit and not unreasonable assumption of a lot of criticisms are that those financial limitations are overly restrictive given the scope and profitability of the event. It isn't our responsibility to maximize Comcast's profit margins.
Is that what's happening? I've seen ideas posited to improve Horror Nights' capacity and then seen discussion, and yes, criticism, of those ideas.

If the value for what Universal is charging for something isn‘t worth it, then don’t pay for it.

I used to have a Premier pass… then they jacked the price up, didn’t build anything that interests me since VC, and thought providing prime parking was optional, so now they get $0 from me.

There are obviously a ton of people who don’t mind paying current prices for 10 houses, a show, and crowds. It doesn’t HAVE to get fixed. I’m sure Universal would love to have 15 houses and three shows and pull 80k people a day, but there are realities that they have to navigate and pretty much all of them have been discussed here.

Is that what's happening? I've seen ideas posited to improve Horror Nights' capacity and then seen discussion, and yes, criticism, of those ideas.

Then present a solution that it isn’t Roller Coaster Tycooning something together. Lol

You keep saying they need to do this and that but move the goal posts when well-connected and informed people are giving rational reasons as to why it can’t happen or why it doesn’t make sense

You still didn’t provide a solution… just offered locations with no real rhyme or reason other than it can hold a show - ignoring staffing issues or other logistical ones that other posters have provided.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but this reads to me as demanding posters solve staffing and logistical issues, things that none of us have the information to even begin to attempt.

I also don't see why its odd, on an internet message board, to suggest that Universal needs to invest more heavily in certain aspects of the park. That seems like entirely reasonable and relevant criticism. Comcast's spending priorities are not written in stone by a divine hand and have no particular hold on those outside the corporate chain of command.

There is also a lot of room between, "I am concerned about certain aspects of the park," and "I am going to stop paying to go to the parks." It's a space where a lot of discussion can take place. Implying that posters who love going to Universal should either stop criticizing it or stop going doesn't really foster interesting conversation.

As for actual ideas to increase capacity that might be attempted before pricing out large groups of fans, we could discuss some of Brian's good ideas from his October post as a starting point.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Perhaps I'm wrong, but this reads to me as demanding posters solve staffing and logistical issues, things that none of us have the information to even begin to attempt.

I also don't see why its odd, on an internet message board, to suggest that Universal needs to invest more heavily in certain aspects of the park. That seems like entirely reasonable and relevant criticism. Comcast's spending priorities are not written in stone by a divine hand and have no particular hold on those outside the corporate chain of command.

There is also a lot of room between, "I am concerned about certain aspects of the park," and "I am going to stop paying to go to the parks." It's a space where a lot of discussion can take place. Implying that posters who love going to Universal should either stop criticizing it or stop going doesn't really foster interesting conversation.

As for actual ideas to increase capacity that might be attempted before pricing out large groups of fans, we could discuss some of Brian's good ideas from his October post as a starting point.

Well, I didn't have this on my BINGO Card... lol

Casper, the question stems from RBLX refusing to acknowledge some of the difficulties that would present itself with some of his suggestions. So to try to maybe get a better understanding, I posited the question because maybe there was something he could offer to this debate that all of us were missing.

It would be silly to "demand" that, and put the onus on the posters - but for the sake of the discussion, it needed to be asked because it was going in circles.

To be clear...

1 We've all acknowledged some things in regards to crowds need to be fixed. We've all acknowledged price increases suck. No one is advocating for higher prices, just realizing that it's an inevitability. The ticket discussion has either been to cut out ROF or change the ticket structure to "# of Days" system.

2. A majority of us don't have an issue with adding a 2nd show, but RBLX (and I'm sorry to single you out, but this is the crux of the discussion the last few pages) has been insistent that the show needed to be similar to the drawing power of HNF - which has caused the pushback from other users.

As far as some of your points:
The refusal to consider that cost is entirely a restriction Universal has imposed on ITSELF, a choice.

Everything about this is ITSELF, a choice - including the consumer side. The business makes a decision, the consumer considers if that decision warrants their money - and so on... It doesn't make it wrong or right, and considering the event has continued to grow; it's safe to say that the business decisions on the MACRO level have led the consumer to spend.

WITHIN Universal's SELF-IMPOSED financial limitations, that's not really fair
It's also not fair to just expect Universal to spend care-free. Every decision has to make sense. They aren't going to rent a soundstage out, especially when they are already using a good chunk of them, for a secondary (maybe even tertiary) show in an area that is already packed to the brim. That's not solving the issue, but exacerbating it - just for the sake of "adding a show".

That's the whole point of this debate.

Adding a show that also doesn't combat spreading out the crowds. In this case, as Legacy pointed out, a majority of the available spaces present some pretty big crowd issue which negates the whole point of adding the show in the first place.

I also feel that this needs to be made clear... understanding how the machine works is not an endorsement.

Implying that posters who love going to Universal should either stop criticizing it or stop going doesn't really foster interesting conversation.

We need to stop using this as a crux. It's a bad-faith argument. No one here has asked to stop criticizing the park. (See the #1 and #2 above). Funnily enough, the above comment contradicts your very questioning of "demanding the posters to solve" post. Criticizing an idea or pushing back hyperbolic posts isn't stopping a discussion. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Understanding that this is the slow time of HHN discussion, the thread got a little carried away - but I think it's time we put an end to the topic and just wait for the next bout of news for the sake of other readers. So time to move on.

RBLX, if you have any questions, want to continue the convo, or wanna vent - feel free to DM me.

Last edited:
My message from earlier today was deleted? Fascinating.

Please see below:
Understanding that this is the slow time of HHN discussion, the thread got a little carried away - but I think it's time we put an end to the topic and just wait for the next bout of news for the sake of other readers. So time to move on.

RBLX, if you have any questions, want to continue the convo, or wanna vent - feel free to DM me.

It's mid-late January, about time we start getting some whispers of headlining IP. Ghostbusters, Weeknd, TLoU all popped up in discussions around this time previous years, from what I can recall.

We should also keep tabs on Bloody-Disgusting.com. They've had some big stories drop early in previous years that seem to have coincided with a large marketing push for an IP or musical artist, HHN included. Billie and Weeknd popped up there around the same time as each other and both ended up at HHN 6-8 months later.

It's mid-late January, about time we start getting some whispers of headlining IP. Ghostbusters, Weeknd, TLoU all popped up in discussions around this time previous years, from what I can recall.

We should also keep tabs on Bloody-Disgusting.com. They've had some big stories drop early in previous years that seem to have coincided with a large marketing push for an IP or musical artist, HHN included. Billie and Weeknd popped up there around the same time as each other and both ended up at HHN 6-8 months later.

I wonder if that's because we have like--multiple big Horror related IP projects all happening this year; and that it's not really as easy to boil it down? Makes you wonder what both coasts are considering in what is viable for their respective locations; and what isn't.

Been wondering on this in general for a bit, even with Shared IP's always as an expected. Compared to last year--there's a lot of major IP rolling up this year with new projects (Weeknd with Schults/Final Album, Ghostbusters with Frozen Empire, Beetlejuice with BJ2, F13 with Crystal Lake, FNAF celebrating it's 10th anniversary plus production beginning on FNAF2 in the coming months, and more!).

Makes you wonder what exactly was in the meetings back in May up to now, how the coasts are looking to define this year.

Also should be getting our first spec map for this year from HNN in less than a month (if its like last year at least, the first map of 2023 was put out February 18th), hopefully...
Spongebob Squarepants Nickelodeon GIF

Also should be getting our first spec map for this year from HNN in less than a month (if its like last year at least, the first map of 2023 was put out February 18th), hopefully...
Spongebob Squarepants Nickelodeon GIF
Would like to just bring up as a friendly way of saying, HNN's First rounds aren't super accurate most of the time.

Hell, speculation now usually isn't in the terms of January's. They might have a few things potentially right, but that doesn't mean it is going to be as concrete of a moment.

Reactions: Freak and Coolbfitz
Would like to just bring up as a friendly way of saying, HNN's First rounds aren't super accurate most of the time.
Last year their first map had The Last of Us, Universal Monsters: Unmasked (on the map it was just Phantom+Dracula but I would say they got it close enough lol) and technically Stranger Things with that lightning/guitar symbol... So while you're not wrong, there'll be at least one or two IPs on the first map for this year that'll probably be accurate I think which is exciting

Last year their first map had The Last of Us, Universal Monsters: Unmasked (on the map it was just Phantom+Dracula but I would say they got it close enough lol) and technically Stranger Things with that lightning/guitar symbol... So while you're not wrong, there'll be at least one or two IPs on the first map for this year that'll probably be accurate I think

And it's certainly possible--though that also comes with that of imitators trying to come in on that.

It's good to just keep in mind that things won't be locked in as some think it'd be--especially as both coasts are in a period where major projects both coming for this year and for 2025, will likely cause HHN's teams to change and adjust accordingly to that. I am excited to see HNN's map mind you, as it does mark of tradition--but I am also more curious to see how the vibe is come May than in January.

Reactions: Michael S
Didn't even get a chance to respond to some of the questions that directly apply to this year's event. Unbelievable.

I've never been disrespectful on this site and all of my comments have always been in support of creating a better event.

If I may as someone who watches it both from that of here and on TPS; I'd argue it's more of nitpicking and cherry picking what you do and don't like when it comes to what Operations and what executives do with Universal.

Doesn't matter if it's HHN, doesn't matter if it's Mardi Gras, it seems more as if you have issues with things that can't just easily be solved by instructions. I respect what you've done with all the work with Universal Roblox with you and your teams--but just because of your handling and abilities with that; it doesn't mean you are the one who can solve what needs to be fixed with Universal IRL.

Reactions: AmitySix
Didn't even get a chance to respond to some of the questions that directly apply to this year's event. Unbelievable.

I've never been disrespectful on this site and all of my comments have always been in support of creating a better event.
Brian put an end to the discussion. That means the discussion is over, whether or not you were able to get in one last response. That's why he offered to talk it out via DM if you still have things you wanted to say. It's not personal.

So, to repeat: It's over. Let's all move on.

I asked this question over 3 months ago and we are still basically running in circles. We know the park needs more entertainment and where they could potentially be spread to, but what can be placed that’ll entertain HHN guest?

Keeping Nightmare Fuel, what could they put on a stage that Horror Nights guest want to see? We've discussed adding shows countless times, but what could you put into those shows that NF isn’t already doing that would be more interesting than a one and done