Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Tips & Tricks | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Tips & Tricks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wanted to buy express passes for tomorrow night and they're no longer available on the website. Same thing for tonight. Ugh..

Express was sold out one night we were there, but my friends were still able to buy it during stay and scream. It was like $200 a person though.

Express was sold out one night we were there, but my friends were still able to buy it during stay and scream. It was like $200 a person though.

UOR Twitter Support told me if they're not available online, they're likely not available at the gate, but I doubt that's really the case. I wouldn't be surprised if they're are more expensive. They were originally $170 for tomorrow so we'll see how much they ask for them in person.

I personally never had a stay and scream night where I couldn't get every house done if I stayed to the end of the night. The one time I tried express was just way too much walking although I did everything twice. I would rather spend a fraction of that money on food and drinks. It's hard to imagine someone justifying express at that price point compared to the entry price if they already knew about stay and scream. But also I have learned that the there are enough very wealthy people going to the parks that make as much money in a few hours as do in a week and don't have the same value comparison as I do. As long as universal keeps expanding and has some affordable passes and tickets I hope they suck all that money out of these people. I just need to be able to plan around the crowds which has worked out so far.

Disney would prob make stay and scream resort guests only regardless of passholder level.

I personally never had a stay and scream night where I couldn't get every house done if I stayed to the end of the night. The one time I tried express was just way too much walking although I did everything twice. I would rather spend a fraction of that money on food and drinks. It's hard to imagine someone justifying express at that price point compared to the entry price if they already knew about stay and scream. But also I have learned that the there are enough very wealthy people going to the parks that make as much money in a few hours as do in a week and don't have the same value comparison as I do. As long as universal keeps expanding and has some affordable passes and tickets I hope they suck all that money out of these people. I just need to be able to plan around the crowds which has worked out so far.

Disney would prob make stay and scream resort guests only regardless of passholder level.

I can’t disagree that $200 is insane. If you have one night and you see the crowds/lines, I can see why someone might add express. You can definitely make it work with stay and scream though. Just make sure you have a charged phone.

These friends, I warned them, along with a team member, that they needed to buy express back in July. They said it was too much money and they’d be fine. Funny how impulse buys work. They can’t be the only ones.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I can’t disagree that $200 is insane. If you have one night and you see the crowds/lines, I can see why someone might add express. You can definitely make it work with stay and scream though. Just make sure you have a charged phone.

These friends, I warned them, along with a team member, that they needed to buy express back in July. They said it was too much money and they’d be fine. Funny how impulse buys work. They can’t be the only ones.
But they were already doing stay and scream. They would have been fine unless they wanted to leave early or just really wanted to do some things multiple times. They could have also waited for the cheaper express to go on sale late. I guess people just get in their own head about not being able to see everything.

I think this was the first time in the last seven years where I wasn’t able to complete everything at rope drop. Got 7 of the 10 houses in and left at 1:30. Some brutal under quotes on the queues early on (Bugs was listed at 25 but we waited over an hour).

This has been a consistent theme at Bugs. We were quoted 15 and waited 50. Their ops team needs retraining.

^I’m genuinely worried for 27th through the 31st of October when I’ll be there. Previous years we’ve done longer stays which means more relaxed nights even with big crowds. But this year feels like a packed park each night with inaccurate posted wait times could be a big stressor

Throwing this out there, don't recall seeing yet this year.

Both Orange and Seminole schools out Friday 10/7, which coincides with Columbus Day weekend up north. (Brevard off Monday as well). That entire weekend will be Hell Week, but I expect Thursday/Friday to be particularly bad.

Last night was one of the most crowded nights I've ever experienced at HHN... and it wasn't sold out. Lines for food & bev, and Halloween was the first house to reach 120 for the season.

I can't imagine October or if this was just a unique set of circumstances.
Opening Saturday was this for me - entered the park at 7:15 with Express and left at 12:45 having done eight houses in what I thought was as efficient a manner as possible (no shows, no eating, etc). Just an absolute disaster from the parking garage to 40 minute Express lines to sending people around MIB to get to Sprung 2 to having people walk a massive circle around Sprung 1.

Love the event, but it's going to have to turn around over the next month for me to think about putting $650 down on a ticket next year (technically over $1,000 when you figure I need an AP to get free parking). It's no longer worth that, and it seems like the only way to stem the tide is to raise prices which makes it even less worth it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Last night was one of the most crowded nights I've ever experienced at HHN... and it wasn't sold out. Lines for food & bev, and Halloween was the first house to reach 120 for the season.

I can't imagine October or if this was just a unique set of circumstances.

Sunday (9/18) was similar. First time I've ever seen traffic to the "back" parking booth backed up most of the length of the overpass ramp. (I'd come that way only because FDoT signs on I-4 said Exit 75 was backed up.) To Ops' credit, they were hustling cars in, and Security was lightning fast as well.

Inside the parks tho ... Long lines for every food booth and Freestyle machine. Overflowing trash bins. This year's improvements to scarezones effectively nullified by the sheer volume of people walking through them. Just too many guests at this point.

Love the event, but it's going to have to turn around over the next month for me to think about putting $650 down on a ticket next year (technically over $1,000 when you figure I need an AP to get free parking). It's no longer worth that, and it seems like the only way to stem the tide is to raise prices which makes it even less worth it.

I'd love to see a chart tracking beer prices and HHN prices, maybe AP prices too. Because when a Dufftoberfest is north of $14, before tip, there's no way a multinight ticket, sans Express even, should be under $500. When you look at what MNSSHP gets and still sells out, I can't help but think HHN ticket prices are artificially low.

what surprised me is how many people each of the VIP tour groups seem to have. Prices can keep going up, but (to me) it almost seems that folks have been pushed into an attitude of 'go one day, take a ViP tour, see the whole thing in one night'.

Not sure who all has all these funds, but I swear the tours looked like much larger groups following each guide than I recall in years past and that must be contributing towards the complaints of how long the express lines are (but I am sure the bigger impact is how many FF+ buyers add Express).

I do also wonder if the crowds on SAT and SUN were a reflection of the fact that they were the first nights that week where the weather ap did not warn of monsoons.

what surprised me is how many people each of the VIP tour groups seem to have. Prices can keep going up, but (to me) it almost seems that folks have been pushed into an attitude of 'go one day, take a ViP tour, see the whole thing in one night'.

Not sure who all has all these funds, but I swear the tours looked like much larger groups following each guide than I recall in years past and that must be contributing towards the complaints of how long the express lines are (but I am sure the bigger impact is how many FF+ buyers add Express).

I do also wonder if the crowds on SAT and SUN were a reflection of the fact that they were the first nights that week where the weather ap did not warn of monsoons.
I'm shocked at how "affordable" RIP tours are, relative to Express. All the amenities and perks of RIP far exceed the $100-$150 price jump between one night of express and one night of RIP, especially if you get enough people for a private RIP tour. I can definitely see myself doing it in future years as I won't have availability for Wed/Thu night visits anymore.

First timer for the event, wanted to ask a few questions:

Current plan is to do one full night for HHN with express pass. Will we be able to do every house on a Friday? Would it be preferable to do 2 nights without express instead? Unfortunately I don't think our group line tolerance is very high.

Is staying in the park at a holding spot for potential early access to any house worth doing instead of waiting outside the gate to watch the opening ceremonies? We already have 2-park passes.

Is there anyway to walk through the houses to ensure you see every scare? Traveling in a group of 5 for context.

First timer for the event, wanted to ask a few questions:

Current plan is to do one full night for HHN with express pass. Will we be able to do every house on a Friday? Would it be preferable to do 2 nights without express instead? Unfortunately I don't think our group line tolerance is very high.

Is staying in the park at a holding spot for potential early access to any house worth doing instead of waiting outside the gate to watch the opening ceremonies? We already have 2-park passes.

Is there anyway to walk through the houses to ensure you see every scare? Traveling in a group of 5 for context.

1) You can totally see each house in one night with Express. You might not see all the shows, sample the food, experience the scare zones, or ride any rides, but you can do it.

2) STAY AND SCREAM IS ESSENTIAL. The opening ceremonies is usually just some sounds and maybe a few chainsaw people vs being in line for you second house of the night.

3) No, you're really at the mercy of scare actor timing.

1) You can totally see each house in one night with Express. You might not see all the shows, sample the food, experience the scare zones, or ride any rides, but you can do it.

2) STAY AND SCREAM IS ESSENTIAL. The opening ceremonies is usually just some sounds and maybe a few chainsaw people vs being in line for you second house of the night.

3) No, you're really at the mercy of scare actor timing.
Awesome, thanks so much. Houses are definitely our priority with scare zones second and shows third. Foods just kinda an afterthought but I’ve heard good things.

Edit: Anymore recommendations for a newbie?

Last edited: