Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 86 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I got just the vacation package for you... Give me a couple grand a few months in advance. I'll let you know what you're getting when you get to the destination. That sound cool to you?

I mean how many people are sitting back waiting to pull the trigger on this based solely on HHN? Im sure there are some....but most I'd be willing to wager have their trip planned, are booked, excited about Volcano Bay, Sapphire, Fallon, the parks during the day, and of course HHN one or two nights.

You're reaching a bit with your example I reckon

I mean how many people are sitting back waiting to pull the trigger on this based solely on HHN? Im sure there are some....but most I'd be willing to wager have their trip planned, are booked, excited about Volcano Bay, Sapphire, Fallon, the parks during the day, and of course HHN one or two nights.

You're reaching a bit with your example I reckon
Am I? Even if there are more people booking for the other stuff, shouldn't you want to put out full advertising to attract as many people as possible? I think you underestimate just how many people travel to go to HHN.

I think they could at least formally announce basics like number of houses, whether VR is coming back, etc.

Coming from Philadelphia and having to save money for HHN we start our planning early ... knowing basics like the above actually dictates how many days we go for, and affects our travel planning. For example, our current plan is to do HHN for 4 nights based on 9 houses and VR from last year ... if VR is dropped and the house number changes we would opt for less days. So I think some formal information is warranted this early.

Reactions: Porkchop
I'm sure they have numbers of guests who bu you tickets from out of state/city and decide on things with that. They do this a lot and it's still super busy so they aren't doing something right.

Allow me to counter point...
Completely valid argument. I can understand the impact of sustained announcements on "relationship" sales. But I think, from a corporate perspective, that because there's no way to track to ROI on that sort of intangible, it doesn't exist. Whether it's right or not doesn't matter if there's no data point. Ironically, from a purely social media standpoint, even the complaining counts as engagements which makes everything look fine, data-wise.

The Shining is still announced, and will still be an influencer for people deciding to attend regardless of WHEN they decide to attend. So will American Horror Story. While I understand calls to "plan" trips, trips are planned once a decision is made. If the data doesn't support that decisions are made in June, then it's fine to wait.

The homepage announces, "...monsters and maniacs. Explore nine terrifying haunted houses, brave five creature-filled scare zones, enjoy two outrageous live shows." Any VR house, as an up-charge, would be booked separately from the trip itself anyway. Enough is out there for the hardcores and haunt fans to make a decision. If most maybes aren't going to decide until 60 days out (when airline fares are typically lowest), then surging the info THEN is the smartest thing to do.

that because there's no way to track to ROI on that sort of intangible, it doesn't exist.

Point. While true, marketing managers should be able to keep those kind of tertiary hits in mind, and work them into the overall plan.

Ironically, from a purely social media standpoint, even the complaining counts as engagements which makes everything look fine, data-wise.

Sad, but true. Social media discussion is social media discussion.

Am I? Even if there are more people booking for the other stuff, shouldn't you want to put out full advertising to attract as many people as possible? I think you underestimate just how many people travel to go to HHN.
No, I think you're OVER estimating these people having bags packed and cancelling in June because the announced houses aren't "what they want"

You're going to go regardless. And so are the others willing to travel JUST for this event...

Reactions: Eckert
If they wanted to control crowds just up the prices. It would:

* Keep revenue comparable

* Keep out undesirable people

And to add to them doing a dog poop job - HOW they're announcing houses is incredibly boring. Though I am not sure if that's because they do "enough" to get people in with how they do it or not.

Can anyone honestly say that this year's marketing thus far has helped increase ticket sales? If you say yes, you've been drinking too much HHN Cool Aid. I'll leave it at that.
No, you're right here. Thus far, what they've done is announce AHS (which we knew was back) and "The Shinning" other than that, I agree its not increasing ticket sales.

And to add to them doing a dog poop job - HOW they're announcing houses is incredibly boring. Though I am not sure if that's because they do "enough" to get people in with how they do it or not.
So not being able to afford to go = being an "undesirable"? I would fall into that category if the prices go any higher. And I'm awesomely desireable. ;)

I've never experienced any 'undesirable' behavior at HHN, I'm not sure what night people are going, but it seems some people here have had a bad experience

Completely valid argument. I can understand the impact of sustained announcements on "relationship" sales. But I think, from a corporate perspective, that because there's no way to track to ROI on that sort of intangible, it doesn't exist. Whether it's right or not doesn't matter if there's no data point. Ironically, from a purely social media standpoint, even the complaining counts as engagements which makes everything look fine, data-wise.

The Shining is still announced, and will still be an influencer for people deciding to attend regardless of WHEN they decide to attend. So will American Horror Story. While I understand calls to "plan" trips, trips are planned once a decision is made. If the data doesn't support that decisions are made in June, then it's fine to wait.

The homepage announces, "...monsters and maniacs. Explore nine terrifying haunted houses, brave five creature-filled scare zones, enjoy two outrageous live shows." Any VR house, as an up-charge, would be booked separately from the trip itself anyway. Enough is out there for the hardcores and haunt fans to make a decision. If most maybes aren't going to decide until 60 days out (when airline fares are typically lowest), then surging the info THEN is the smartest thing to do.
All valid. And how the heck did I miss that statement on their homepage? :). I fully admit that I'm just impatient.

No, you're right here. Thus far, what they've done is announce AHS (which we knew was back) and "The Shinning" other than that, I agree its not increasing ticket sales.
But, that's been my point. It's entirely possible that all of the announcements and marketing through June last year didn't actually increase ticket sales either. The ROI (ticket sales) likely peaked at two moments; the first big announcements (which draws pick-ups internationals and those already inclined to attend) and then late-summer (which would be everyone else, and is also when people are starting to think about Halloween anyway). If sales stall naturally in June, then save the excitement for when they won't stall.
All valid. And how the heck did I miss that statement on their homepage? :). I fully admit that I'm just impatient.
It's below the imagery, in the short block of text.
I've never experienced any 'undesirable' behavior at HHN, I'm not sure what night people are going, but it seems some people here have had a bad experience
Work the event... you'll see the undesirables.

I wouldn't say I had a bad experience, so much as an annoying moment. HHN attracts the teen/young adult crowd, and they don't tend to appreciate the atmosphere or attractions the same way the average day guest might. We rode Transformers last year during the event and had a car full of kids yelling over the audio, using foul language putting their hands up in front of us like it was a roller coaster. Really just ruining the experience. I imagine they were equally if not more obnoxious in the houses. Luckily I didn't experience much else than that. But there does seem to be a typical haunted house guest that is just a bit more rowdy than theme park goers.

If sales stall naturally in June, then save the excitement for when they won't stall.
If they're goal was to keep sales stalling in June, they've done a top notch job this year then.

^^^^ One year we had a young girl who rode the entire Transformers ride looking at her phone. I couldn't believe it. 100 million dollar ride at a world class theme park and she's too busy on her phone to even acknowledge her surroundings. Crazy

Can smell some bans coming...

How quickly people forget. It used to be we didn't get ANY announcements until late August. Zilch. Nothing. Just a vague promise of "YEP, HHN IS HAPPENING!"

We'd get the backstory websites, but those were always for the fans, not the vacation packages. In short -- you guys are being a little insatiable. There is no reason for a steady drip of announcements. The headliners are out. (Comp from the "golden years" is 2009, where they announced Chucky, SAW, and Wolfman up front, leaving all other details until August).