Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 419 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of ANYTHING coming out of the marketing department regarding this to T2 to basically anything at the resort has gone beyond simple reserved caution and into a level of incompetence I haven't seen of a major company if a very long time. This isn't how you do business. This isn't how you market what has become one of the major cornerstones of your parent company. I've said it for over a year now, something needs to change at the top. A small collection of imbeciles are quite literally not allowing a group of people to do the job they were hired to do (advertise, market, and hype the damn theme parks).

We've been laughing at the lack of information coming from the official park blog for over a year now and it's somehow gotten worse. This of course after they essentially made a promise to release more information on the two big attractions by the end of the year and then completely failing to do so. Only the most insanely pedantic people are defending that blog post by getting caught up in the semantics of the verbiage. It was CLEARLY saying we were going to get more information on the two attractions and Nintendo by the end of the year. That didn't happen and they didn't even acknowledge it didn't happen. Instead they spent what looks to be a couple hundred thousand dollars producing a hype video for Escape from Gringotts... a ride that is FOUR YEARS OLD! Well done?

Have to agree with this. I dont know how they normally do things but this all seems quite bizarre at this point. They should be hyping the hell out of this to get reservations in a year where WDW are going to be sucking the orlando market over to them. Sure, they probably cant pin point an opening date to within 3 months at this point of construction, but you dont have to put a date on any marketing at this point, just a season will do. I can only assume that this less is more marketing is an actual strategy, but I cant see it being a good one for the theme park business.

Not sure about the US but January is HUGE for travel agents in the UK and has always been the peak booking season. I find it very strange that wouldn't look to capitalise on that.

Do people tend to travel Orlando just for Disney or just for Uni? Are they just assuming G Edge is going to bring such ridiculous crowds in they are bound to head over to Uni also?

So many questions :afraid:

Reactions: tielo
The lack of ANYTHING coming out of the marketing department regarding this to T2 to basically anything at the resort has gone beyond simple reserved caution and into a level of incompetence I haven't seen of a major company if a very long time. This isn't how you do business. This isn't how you market what has become one of the major cornerstones of your parent company. I've said it for over a year now, something needs to change at the top. A small collection of imbeciles are quite literally not allowing a group of people to do the job they were hired to do (advertise, market, and hype the damn theme parks).

We've been laughing at the lack of information coming from the official park blog for over a year now and it's somehow gotten worse. This of course after they essentially made a promise to release more information on the two big attractions by the end of the year and then completely failing to do so. Only the most insanely pedantic people are defending that blog post by getting caught up in the semantics of the verbiage. It was CLEARLY saying we were going to get more information on the two attractions and Nintendo by the end of the year. That didn't happen and they didn't even acknowledge it didn't happen. Instead they spent what looks to be a couple hundred thousand dollars producing a hype video for Escape from Gringotts... a ride that is FOUR YEARS OLD! Well done?

^This

My only guess is that they're worried that their new coaster marketing budget is going to get completely overshadowed by Star Wars and keep holding back because of that. Universal still hasn't grown up to Disney standards in a lot of areas (such as park operations) and their marketing (or lack of) is an area that needs dramatic improvement.

They give you more heads up on temporary haunted houses for Christ's sake.

On the plus side, less marketing means smaller crowds...right?

Win win for us!! :rimshot:

I am still completely floored by the way they handled FF:SC. Just randomly opened. At least HP will get a bit of a hype train. Maybe a bike train. Take your pick.

Maybe marketing got burned out on HHN. They did an outstanding job with that. I would guess strings are being pulled from higher up to schedule announcements.

Universal has had last minute issues concerning a couple of mega opening attractions, ie. Gringotts and Kong the last few years. They may be waiting until they have a better handle on an opening date that has some certainty to it....But it behooves Universal to get this open ASAP, since Disney has basically left 2019 wide open for Universal to take advantage of. (Mickey & GESWL coming in very late in 2019. Almost really a 2020 opening, for all intents and purposes, for GESWL, since looking like late December for it )

Last edited:

THIS RIGHT HERE!

I am wondering if they are waiting for the new harry potter game announcement. The game is focused on the forbidden forest and what appears to be ruined castle in the trailers. Is it possible that the ride ties into the game somehow?

That “leaked” Fantastic Worlds slide show pic was our Nintendo info :thumbsup:

I totally forgot that they said we would have more info on all those projects before years end! I can't believe they didnt deliver on that im disgusted. Whoever said earlier they need to grow up is right they are too big a company to be pussyfooting like this :enrage:, yet they wanna compete with mickey. I should have seen this ride on tv today atleast twice today!

Last edited:
Technically they said to stay tuned for more information on things “LIKE” and then listed off some stuff. They even specifically said you may hear an announcement or two. And yea, that’s about all there was lol.

Taken from thisblog post on Jan 2, 2018:

Crystal Ball Gazing

While I can’t share details on things yet to be announced, you can expect to hear an announcement or two from us this year on things like:
  • The previously-announced ride replacing Dragon Challenge in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
  • An additional projection mapping experience at Hogwarts castle
  • Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular being replaced
  • Something new going in where Terminator 2: 3D was
  • A new venue coming to Universal CityWalk where Element was
  • Our expanding hotel collection
  • The continued global expansion of our partnership with Nintendo. Our sister park in Japan has already broken ground on Super Nintendo World; I’m sure you can’t wait to hear what’s next.

Technically they said to stay tuned for more information on things “LIKE” and then listed off some stuff. They even specifically said you may hear an announcement or two. And yea, that’s about all there was lol.

Crystal Ball Gazing

While I can’t share details on things yet to be announced, you can expect to hear an announcement or two from us this year on things like:
  • The previously-announced ride replacing Dragon Challenge in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
  • The continued global expansion of our partnership with Nintendo. Our sister park in Japan has already broken ground on Super Nintendo World; I’m sure you can’t wait to hear what’s next.
Oh..still silly

Reactions: Mike S

Crystal Ball Gazing

4 out of 7 is more than half. Plus a half if you count the Potter Coaster Poster.

^This

My only guess is that they're worried that their new coaster marketing budget is going to get completely overshadowed by Star Wars and keep holding back because of that. Universal still hasn't grown up to Disney standards in a lot of areas (such as park operations) and their marketing (or lack of) is an area that needs dramatic improvement.

They give you more heads up on temporary haunted houses for Christ's sake.

This is a good point. They market the hell out of HHN.....which really doesn't need much marketing. Yet a major new attraction based on one of the top movie series of all time is being kept hush-hush 6 months before it opens. Bizarre.

Reactions: Ryno27

Crystal Ball Gazing

They really did talk up Nintendo as if we were finally getting official info on the stateside lands. If they were close at any point in 2018 of actually discussing it but pulled the plug at the last second then 2019 might finally be our year.

I mean, it’s only been 4 years after the first announcement and 3 years after official confirmation of Hollywood and Orlando but who’s counting anyway huh? Better late than never right? :thumbsup:

*sigh*

Last edited:
We are allowed to talk about this strategy as being either beneficial or not as long as they use it.

It's been talked about ad nauseam for years. This isn't a new discussion; just beating over the same points.

I don't like it, either; especially since this site flourishes when information comes out. If it weren't a cyclical discussion, I wouldn't care - but we don't need to derail another thread with it.

Reactions: tielo
But 50 pages of who can come up with the most clever name for the ride is okay? I think the unusually tight lipped nature of Universal on this project is a huge topic of conversation and opens up a bunch of different possibilities as to why it’s taking them so long to announce what is arguably their biggest attraction since Gringotts.

I’m still going with the theory that it’s Star Wars related and that their strategy is to do a saturated media and advertising blitz like 2 months out for the hype and then a heavy campaign for the ride over the summer months before Star Wars gets ready to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.