Grinchmas 2015 | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Grinchmas 2015

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Unlike Disney, Universal has sort of dug themselves into a hole with the holiday overlays. At Jingle Cruise they can throw hats on some animals and put up tinsel and lights for decoration. Universal banked on 3D movies which probably cost millions of dollars to produce. It's not as simple as doing some set dressing. While I would love for them to do some overlays, I can't see it making sense for them at the moment. I would love some freshness in the park for the holidays though. Don't get me wrong. Now... Puting some Santa hats on those dinosaurs at Jurassic Park I can see. That would make me laugh for sure. Makes as much sense as Welcome to the Jungle on Halloween, or bushes that spit water on you.

Reactions: William
They do, actually, put a Santa hat on the first Dilophosaurus in the ride. I can't remember if they did it last year, though.

Something I'm curious about for this year is Springfield. The Despicable Me area of the park was dressed for Christmas the same year it was introduced in the park, and I think Springfield has potential for some set-dressing as well. Unfortunately they've stopped putting Santa hats on the Krusty archway and the Simpsons figures, so I don't know if a holiday overlay is in the cards for that area of the park this year.

Yes, most of the rides are 3D, but they can actually use that to their advantage in regards to a holiday overlay.

They can spend some cash just ONE year to create new holiday ride footage for Minion Mayhem and Simpsons, and then reuse it every holiday season, already paid off. This is Comcast and Universal we're talking about. I know it's expensive to create new footage, but it's a one time expense they can and should do. So much potential. It would be great for locals and tourists to see "limited time" overlays.

They have great facades to decorate. They should do the same with the rides inside.

Yes, most of the rides are 3D, but they can actually use that to their advantage in regards to a holiday overlay.

They can spend some cash just ONE year to create new holiday ride footage for Minion Mayhem and Simpsons, and then reuse it every holiday season, already paid off. This is Comcast and Universal we're talking about. I know it's expensive to create new footage, but it's a one time expense they can and should do. So much potential. It would be great for locals and tourists to see "limited time" overlays.

They have great facades to decorate. They should do the same with the rides inside.
For Minion Mayhem that would be absolutely feasible since it's already a Universal property. I don't see that ever happening with Simpsons or Shrek since Fox is pretty strict and difficult to work with and Dreamworks Animation and  Universal are on not so great terms at the moment. But there is honestly no reason this couldn't already be happening on MM. There is so much they could do with that property and Christmas.

With Shrek, they could just play the existing Shrek the Halls holiday special inside the theatre and decorate the dungeon and queue and sync the film to the seats and pump holiday smells.

For Simpsons, I don't think it'll be too hard to have Fox work up new ride footage cofinanced with Comcast. Fox wants Simpson's to stay relevant and have always had funny holiday episodes, and obviously their relationship with Universal is great, look at Springfield.

For Despicable Me, that definitely would be the easiest holiday overlay. They already do such a great job with the holiday themeing for the facades. Illumination has done a million mini Minion movies already so I'm sure they'd have a blast whipping up a holiday storyline. They would just have to make some new queue and "lab" footage as well, and theme the living room with some holiday decorations.

For the ride storyline, it could be as simple as my idea on the previous page: have Gru and the Minions work together to save the girls' first Christmas together as a family and make it the best Christmas ever. Gru as Santa Gru would be hilarious (he's dressed up as a fairy in the sequel, Santa would be nothing!) and he could decorate his rocket car as a sleigh, and thousands of Minions semi-dressed as reindeer would be so natural!

For Simpsons, I don't think it'll be too hard to have Fox work up new ride footage cofinanced with Comcast. Fox wants Simpson's to stay relevant and have always had funny holiday episodes, and obviously their relationship with Universal is great, look at Springfield.
The reason Hollywood's turned out so good was because they weren't all too happy with the Food-Court concept in Orlando. Plus Fox gave Universal a ton of problems with AVP. That's why they didn't allow any Media tours last year, until the maze was perfection. They have a good relationship, but they're VERY difficult to work with.

I would love a Holiday overlay of Springfield/Simpsons Ride.

GRINCHMAS IS UPON US!!!!!

kZ0gJG9.jpg

KuZY4gZ.jpg

Anyone else going today?

From the pictures IU has posted on Facebook, I'm disappointed that they got rid of the Mt. Krumpit props and scenery for the Grinch photo op. He's now inside a little post office. Idk, I really enjoyed the Mt. Krumpit "rock" work, garbage shoot, and other props. Seems more scaled back this year. I wonder if maybe the props or scenery got destroyed accidentally when they were removing them last year. Afterall, they were recycled from the super cool Mt. Krumpit overlay of the old spinning tunnel, so maybe they were worn out.

Overall it looks cute from pictures, but I can't wait till they go back to making the event a bit more extravagant.

Why did they cut back on that giant Grinchmas sign on the entrance arch from when the event first started? Or just decorations in general? I like the aesthetic and concept of Grinchmas, but it is not executed the extent that it should be. Entertainment and decor needs to be expanded further. I know construction has prevented that for a few years, but now it's not so much of a valid excuse. I've always thought that they should've moved the snow play area inside of the Castle Theater, ala Olaf's Snow fest. And put an actual show inside of it. Just anything that can be added will dramatically help the event.

I prefer the old song Martha May "sings", but I guess it's nice for some change. Decorations looks a lot prettier this year! The best backlot Grinchmas though was when the Grinch jumped into his garbage shoot after this performance and popped out next to the Spinning tunnel. That overlay was so simple but brilliant.

Reactions: Alexshow.
So yesterday was my first time experiencing Grinchmas at USH (didn't make it to the event last year FML)... but I enjoyed myself for the most part. I'll post a review later (yea yea I know, I still haven't gotten around to my HHN review yet)... Anyway, I have roughly over 200+ pics to go through :wacko:  

Oh yea... anyone that went yesterday, if you happened to catch the 11:30am "Martha May & the Who-Dolls" show.... yea, that was me :ph34r:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/c0lGzvZkSjU?feature=oembed
so that happened haha

So I have attended Grinchmas a total of 3 times.. 5th, 12th (only briefly though), & 13th... might hang out for a bit on Friday after the AP Preview of the Special Effects Show... but we'll see.. Unfortunately, I have to work Saturday (which is the last day to use my AP... stupid Holiday blackout dates).. I'll try to post a review before the "WHO-YEAR" (as well as my HHN review.... heh).. I didn't bring the camera with me the 12th.. but I have roughly OVER 500 pics to go through between Grinchmas, Holiday park décor/character day/night, & Citywalk xmas tree  :lol:  (You don't even want to know how many USH albums I have on FB... haha)

I will say this... out of the 2 days & few hours on the 12th that I got to experience Grinchmas, I enjoyed it. I would say that my experience on the 13th was pretty close to the same level that was the final night of HHN this year. Big difference between 1st visit & last visit.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet. There's a second meet-and-greet location for the Grinch. This one is on the Lower Lot, located on the seating/dining terrace above Jurassic Outfitters. Maybe it got added recently. During these incredibly busy days around Christmas, it's probably a much shorter wait at this location than up in the Plaza. During the several times I checked, the posted wait time in the Plaza was 60 minutes. Here in the Lower Lot, I waited about 6 or 7 minutes for my photo op. And based on the line behind me, it didn't look much longer than 15 minutes for anyone else. It's something to think about if you want a picture with the Grinch and the wait in the Plaza is enormous.

grinch_lower_lot_md.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: William and chris.g