Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 108 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think the rides in Marvel Island now will be all there ever is there and Uni is forced to keep the rides exactly like they are?
Disney and Marvel are completely seperate when it comes to Universal. Part of the agreement for the merger was that Disney doesn't get to see Universal's plans only the Marvel division. As for Hulk, as it being IOA's signsure coaster, a people eater and a visual icon, its doubtful they'd have wanted to replace it.
s

My thoughts on this hyper coaster rumor is that if Universal had this in the cards, they would have designed the Hogwarts Express differently. I know we constantly argue about realism in theme parks, but this would definitely mess up a lot of stuff.

Not necessarily but there is a contract and there is Marvel/Disney who at least need to make sure everything is within contract.
But regarding "mega coasters" there is no way that will find it's way in Hogmead after DC is torn down. There is no logic behind that. It doesn't generate as much money as a dark ride of the forbidden forest where ton of merchandise will be sold to a broader audience.

With all the rumours about Guardians at EPCOT, I could see a some wiggle room for Disney and Universal with the contract. Something that helps both sides and it's a win win for the public (Depending on what you think about EPCOT). I don't think the type of ride is really going to influence merchandise at this stage. The land is big enough for a good sized coaster and something far more family friendly. I'd say the rides just now are fairly neutral, slightly too extreme for young kids and slightly too tame for the adrenaline junkie.

Disney and Marvel are completely seperate when it comes to Universal. Part of the agreement for the merger was that Disney doesn't get to see Universal's plans only the Marvel division. As for Hulk, as it being IOA's signsure coaster, a people eater and a visual icon, its doubtful they'd have wanted to replace it.
s

Let's be honest, there is no chance Marvel isn't going to accidentally leave a blueprint or rendering around when Bob Iger makes a visit. Disney and Universal will also have a pretty good idea what the other is doing at most times anyway.

Let's be honest, there is no chance Marvel isn't going to accidentally leave a blueprint or rendering around when Bob Iger makes a visit. Disney and Universal will also have a pretty good idea what the other is doing at most times anyway.

Yeah, it's a virtual guarantee that both sides have spies in the other sides creative departments.

After rehearing the hyper roomer this week and visiting IOA this weekend, I don't care what anyone thinks hogsmeade needs expanding. You actually can't enjoy anything because it was an actual zoo this weekend. I get it was Fourth of July weekend but hogsmeade is always packed. I really like the old rumors with the hogsmeade expansion, two indoor coasters, and a lot of nice greenery.

After rehearing the hyper roomer this week and visiting IOA this weekend, I don't care what anyone thinks hogsmeade needs expanding. You actually can't enjoy anything because it was an actual zoo this weekend. I get it was Fourth of July weekend but hogsmeade is always packed. I really like the old rumors with the hogsmeade expansion, two indoor coasters, and a lot of nice greenery.

I seen a few photos on Facebook earlier and it doesn't look fun at all.

This is why I always go in September.

I agree. I would never ever go to Disney or Universal in Orlando during the summer or any of the peak holiday periods. I'm not a masochistic person. :lol:

I was talking to my dad earlier trying to convince him to go in September since he's not been since 2005. Trying to explain to him that it's much busier now and you can't just walk onto any ride after 7 like you used to was making me want to pull my hair out.

Reactions: Mad Dog
what do people consider simulators? Jimmy, Simpsons, and Dispicable are the only ones I can think of as Spider-Man, FJ, and the such are not simulators to me.

what do people consider simulators? Jimmy, Simpsons, and Dispicable are the only ones I can think of as Spider-Man, FJ, and the such are not simulators to me.

Well I might be using the word wrong but Simpsons, Shrek, Forbidden Journey, Spiderman and Transformers (definitely about the same ride heck even the cars are the same which I about fell over laughing at), Despicable Me, Kong and the new Fast Ride ( again basically same ride different video playing), and Jimmy Fallon are all simulators to me. Yes some of they move but what should I call them screen rides? Seems a little one sided to me anyway 10 of those rides and only 4 coasters and Doctor Doom. What a surprise the attendance for them is decreasing when Sea World added 2 coasters themselves both unique for this area.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I actually just signed up to voice my opinion on this subject. First I will say I am a coaster junkie been to Cedar Point a few times, both Busch Gardens parks in Florida and Virginia, Kings Dominion in Virginia, Six Flags Georgia and I won't ramble too much more you get it. First I can agree with them wanting to do away with Dragon Challenge its old, its rough, the theming is awful it was way better as Dueling Dragons, and ever since it stopped dueling it lost its purpose and true design. Having said that if they do do away with Dragons and don't add another coaster back or show any desires I will probably consider canceling my Annual Pass I just got and get one for Busch Gardens/ Sea World. Yes I understand IOA and Universal wanna be more family friendly but with every additional simulator that is almost exactly the same as the one in the other park they are losing guests too in my opinion. While I don't really think they care anymore just wanted to voice my frustration and disappointment and see if anyone else agrees. I am starting to get sick of the amount of simulators if I wanted to do that I would go to Disney Quest. Yes I understand also about how if there is poor weather coasters have to be shut down but I think the parks are starting to go to a fine line where they are too hyper focused at beating Disney at their own game that they disconnect from others such as myself who still want an adrenaline rush too. Perhaps the reason for the poor attendance for rides like Doctor Doom (which I think needs to be taller), Hulk, and Dragon Challenge is because they are chasing away the very people who would come to ride them. Someone who doesn't white knuckle the restraints the entire ride and even puts our hands up and keeps them up launching to 120mph. Perhaps I am just 1% of their attendance though and like I said earlier they don't care but a good thrill ride can be enjoyed by anyone whether they like the theme or don't even know what it is about. I would LOVE a version of that Taron coaster in place of Dragon Challenge though!! Two launched sections yes please!
Please use paragraphs and line breaks. I can't even approach this wall of text

Anyone saying Forbidden Journey and Gringotts are basically the same ride will get little credibility from me, because the ride systems are so different it's not even comparable...
Yeah that's a HUGE stretch and not even close to being correct.

Anyone saying Forbidden Journey and Gringotts are basically the same ride will get little credibility from me, because the ride systems are so different it's not even comparable...

Sorry my bad wrong comparison I meant to compare it with Mummy. You do agree that Spider Man - Transformers and Kong - Fast are basically the same though right?

Last edited:
Transformers is a Spidey clone. No one has ever argued that, but how did Gringotts an indoor coaster with screen elements seem the same has a flying kuka arm???? Literally couldn't be any different.

Reactions: bob albert
Spiderman and Transformers (definitely about the same ride heck even the cars are the same which I about fell over laughing

This is not at you and I get the comparisons of the two rides (and really, from everything I read around here at the time is that Transformers was never meant for Orlando, we just got lucky when Comcast realized they could save $$ by decreasing their tax bill by building something real fast...so Transformers was the best clone they could do).

Anyway, I find the cars so different. I am sorry, but the Transformers ride vehicle are the 2.0 of the Spidey vehicles and technology improved 10 fold in the time between vehicle designs (when talking about the brains and the control of movement between the two vehicles.).

I for one am glad we have Transformers in FL....the fast and slow motion scenes alone make it stand out...plus being taken upstairs elevator style and not even feeling it...great stuff in the warehouse there!!

Transformers is a Spidey clone. No one has ever argued that, but how did Gringotts an indoor coaster with screen elements seem the same has a flying kuka arm???? Literally couldn't be any different.
I corrected my statement I meant to compare it to Mummy that was my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.