Fast & Furious: Supercharged - Reviews, Photos, & Videos | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - Reviews, Photos, & Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
The attraction is under a “Soft Opening”.

For those unfamiliar, a “Soft Opening” is essentially a technical rehearsal of a new attraction, or a final release candidate test for the ride. All the major components are installed and operational but some tweaks, changes, and updates will occur prior to the grand opening.

One thing to remember is “Soft Openings” are never promised. There is no guarantee the ride will be opening. The ride might only open for a period of time, all day, or not at all depending on any issues or changes. There is no set schedule or guarantee it will be open until it’s officially Grand Opened.

Post all reviews, photos, and videos here. The main thread is now for general discussion, so please keep all general discussion over there.

The past few attractions openings have brought in new posters to discuss said attractions. The majority came with good faith in discussing and debating, some did not. If you see a poster who is doing drive by postings, making generalizations, sh*t posting, or trying to rile up the community please report it to the mod community. Do not respond as that is what they are looking for.

IU and the mod team is not against negative or contrary opinions but back them up with reasoning, don't use logical fallacies, ad hominem attacks, or drive by postings.

Your usage of the phrase "train wreck" would imply you still think it's a terrible ride, just one you enjoyed. Fair characterization?

It's a ride that, if in good company, you can have a good laugh at. That kind of enjoyment.

Yes and no.

There’s some good highs, but very low lows. I liked it but can admit that there’s some bad things about it. It’s not the worst ride at Universal. I’ll post more later.

Yes and no.

There’s some good highs, but very low lows. I liked it but can admit that there’s some bad things about it. It’s not the worst ride at Universal. I’ll post more later.
For me, the queue is fine and the Speed Tunnel was very effective. The musion scenes were far too long and it just seemed like you were looking over that way for wayyyy too long with little to nothing happening.

I'll admit some of the effects that they run during the 360 part of the ride sort of make the ride feel a little bit better, but the god awful graphics and incredibly convoluted story line - on top of it just ending - are unforgivable for a company owned by Comcast who we all know has deep pockets. They shouldn't be putting this product on display and feel proud of it.

I'm thinking through all of the rides at UoR that are on the same scale as F&F and i'm struggling to come up with a worst ride so i'll be interested to hear what you think is worse.

Okay, so here's my take:

The queue is done well. I am not nor will I ever be a car person, so walking through a garage looking at a bunch of cars doesn't interest me in the slightest. With that said, there is a lot of detail to take in, and most of it does a good job at trying to make a garage more interesting.

However, it falls apart when you get to the preshows, which are poorly integrated into the building and feel almost tacked onto the (unnecessarily?) gargantuan queue. The preshows themselves are awful, and should have been condensed into one. Double preshows only work when there's a complicated ride system to explain (FoP) or when there is a "transportation" element (Gringotts). F & F has neither, and the dialogue in both rooms is just bad.

Moving onto the ride: The speed tunnel is very effective, and honestly the effect was the best part of the ride. It's one of those effects that works so well that you don't notice it, and when you do, you go, "Oh, cool!". The dialogue here, however, drags the scene down, as it's really an elaborate warning to turn off your cell phones. It should be noted that the dialogue is bad throughout the entire attraction.

From there, you move into the practical set, which is lovely to look at. Unfortunately, nothing of value happens, and it lacks the gravitas and place setting of Kong's exterior portion due to the visuals (warehouse vs. giant temple in the mountains).

Once you enter the musion warehouse, it's pretty much an exact replica of Hollywood's (including the out of sync FBI agent), with the only notable difference being the blasts of CO2 for every "jump" the buses make in the 360 room. The clear screen makes it a little easier to see in front of you, but, like Kong, it's very difficult to see things on the screen farthest from you. We sat in the front of the second bus, which killed the idea of movement*, since the clear screen showed that we were somehow perfectly in sync with the bus in front of us (ramp jumps and all), despite not being attached to it in any way. The screens themselves were dim and *very* cartoonish looking.

*I know that one's a little nitpicky, but it makes me scratch my head at them spending money on a trackless system to underutilize it, as well as the choice to split it into two buses that leave the station at different times. It, like many parts of the attraction, felt lazy.

After that, the ride is over, and you're returned to the exit station by your completely motionless and very visible driver. I don't really do ratings for rides far beyond good or bad, but this is easily the worst ride in the park.

For whatever reason... I liked it.

Yes, the plot makes absolutely no sense. Yes, the graphics are terrible.

But I had fun....

I found myself smiling at this trainwreck; enjoying how unapologetically campy the ride is. I'd obviously prefer a more physical type ride, but can't do much but accept what we got.

When the ride was relying on the physical aspects (the highway transition, the entrance to the warehouse), it showed Universal could've done something more to great results. There was a grand scale to the street scene that during each of my 3 rides, the guests in the bus beamed with excitement (obviously not knowing that they were in for all screens in about 20 seconds.) The highway transition showed that sometimes less is more, and can have absolutely wonderful results.

The screen parts .... well .... it is what it is. The musion scene could've been shortened. As stated earlier - the graphics are terrible, with the actors all looking plasticky. It made no sense how we went from night to day; from a party to securing a witness - but I couldn't help but enjoy myself. It does pack a lot of over-the-top action, and for a theme park ride... maybe plain ol' dumb fun is OK. The front screen, giving the effect of a true 360 experience, is really well done - but you can only experience that on the first bus.

The queue is cool. I wouldn't say great because it's just cars in a garage, but definitely cool... and MASSIVE - maybe to the point of a bit too much space used for the queue? The pre-shows are fine. The war room is cool looking, but the family break room is pretty much pointless. I'd wager that live actor gets cut soon since there is no point to him/her.

One thing I appreciate about the ride is all the little Easter eggs to former UOR rides, and to the franchise itself.

I will probably be in the minority in the theme park community. I left my brain and expectations at the door, and ended up finding myself having fun with friends - and while I can admit my enjoyment comes in spite of the attraction's problems, it also needs to be said that I am glad this is the end of the so-called "Screenz Era". Cutting the 3D may have been the best thing they did.

Just like the movies themselves, they are just stupid fun, made for nothing else except for the enjoyment of the viewer - and the ride follows in the same footsteps. It's not trying to be the Citizen Kane of rides, so if you go experience the ride with that mentality... you may end up finding some silver lining in Supercharged like I did.

For whatever reason... I liked it.

Yes, the plot makes absolutely no sense. Yes, the graphics are terrible.

But I had fun....

I found myself smiling at this trainwreck; enjoying how unapologetically campy the ride is. I'd obviously prefer a more physical type ride, but can't do much but accept what we got.

When the ride was relying on the physical aspects (the highway transition, the entrance to the warehouse), it showed Universal could've done something more to great results. There was a grand scale to the street scene that during each of my 3 rides, the guests in the bus beamed with excitement (obviously not knowing that they were in for all screens in about 20 seconds.) The highway transition showed that sometimes less is more, and can have absolutely wonderful results.

The screen parts .... well .... it is what it is. The musion scene could've been shortened. As stated earlier - the graphics are terrible, with the actors all looking plasticky. It made no sense how we went from night to day; from a party to securing a witness - but I couldn't help but enjoy myself. It does pack a lot of over-the-top action, and for a theme park ride... maybe plain ol' dumb fun is OK. The front screen, giving the effect of a true 360 experience, is really well done - but you can only experience that on the first bus.

The queue is cool. I wouldn't say great because it's just cars in a garage, but definitely cool... and MASSIVE - maybe to the point of a bit too much space used for the queue? The pre-shows are fine. The war room is cool looking, but the family break room is pretty much pointless. I'd wager that live actor gets cut soon since there is no point to him/her.

One thing I appreciate about the ride is all the little Easter eggs to former UOR rides, and to the franchise itself.

I will probably be in the minority in the theme park community. I left my brain and expectations at the door, and ended up finding myself having fun with friends - and while I can admit my enjoyment comes in spite of the attraction's problems, it also needs to be said that I am glad this is the end of the so-called "Screenz Era". Cutting the 3D may have been the best thing they did.

Just like the movies themselves, they are just stupid fun, made for nothing else except for the enjoyment of the viewer - and the ride follows in the same footsteps. It's not trying to be the Citizen Kane of rides, so if you go experience the ride with that mentality... you may end up finding some silver lining in Supercharged like I did.
Hmm I kind of have the feeling you liked it A) because your expectations were so low and B) bcz you road with friends and had a fun day, which in my mind are no way to really judge a ride. Giving what Uni could have done based on Comcasts pockets, this ride really should get the scrutiny it deserves, and not just because we rode it with friends or bcz our expectations were so low. Seems like giving Uni a pass on it.

Hmm I kind of have the feeling you liked it A) because your expectations were so low and B) bcz you road with friends and had a fun day, which in my mind are no way to really judge a ride. Giving what Uni could have done based on Comcasts pockets, this ride really should get the scrutiny it deserves, and not just because we rode it with friends or bcz our expectations were so low. Seems like giving Uni a pass on it.

Or you know... it's my opinion. GTFO with that non-sense.

Completely agreed about the physical aspects, but you quickly forget them by the end because of how short it is unfortunately.

The queue is cool. I wouldn't say great because it's just cars in a garage, but definitely cool... and MASSIVE - maybe to the point of a bit too much space used for the queue?
I had the same thought going through the queue. It's absolutely massive as you said and I really don't see it ever filling up all the way.

Agreed that the ride "stupid fun". If you go in with this as your expectations you'll be fine (after I got off for example, I was just sort of like "meh, about what I expected").

My issue is that something like this isn't what Universal should be wanting to open and market as their next big rides. "Stupid Fun" is literally the lowest common denominator of theme park rides. They can and have done much better and it seems that the whole thought process of making the queue better than the ride that started at Disney is rubbing off to Universal.

I just find it hard to find a silver lining when they built a giant warehouse on a valuable plot of land and this is the end result.

My issue is that something like this isn't what Universal should be wanting to open and market as their next big rides. "Stupid Fun" is literally the lowest common denominator of theme park rides. They can and have done much better and it seems that the whole thought process of making the queue better than the ride that started at Disney is rubbing off to Universal.

I just find it hard to find a silver lining when they built a giant warehouse on a valuable plot of land and this is the end result.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Maybe knowing that this is the end of the overreliance of screens skews my opinion to a more positive tone? I'm not entirely sure.

I know they can do better. I've seen them do better. But all I can do is judge the final product placed in front of me. It will be a polarizing ride, for sure.

Hmm I kind of have the feeling you liked it A) because your expectations were so low and B) bcz you road with friends and had a fun day, which in my mind are no way to really judge a ride.
upload_2018-4-15_0-34-55.gif
What?

I'm not going to make a judgement call on the attraction. I'm not going to ride it in the near future, and really don't care, but your criteria for what makes someone "able to judge" a theme park ride is obnoxiously self-important and asinine.

First, point A - "The expectations were so low." The best way to critically assess something is with NO expectations. If, for whatever reason, that is impossible, the more appropriate position is LOWERED expectations. By keeping presumptions in check, an evaluation can be made without comparing to something it was never intended to be compared to. Teen Titans Go is "terrible" compared to the original Teen Titans, but it's not SUPPOSED to be compared to Teen Titans.

Now, Point B - "bcz you road with friends and had a fun day." What the hell do you think the entire point of a theme park and the rides therein?

Fans are taking the attraction based on a campy, fun-first, reality-second essentially arcade racer of a film series WAY too seriously. Come off it.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Maybe knowing that this is the end of the overreliance of screens skews my opinion to a more positive tone? I'm not entirely sure.

I know they can do better. I've seen them do better. But all I can do is judge the final product placed in front of me. It will be a polarizing ride, for sure.
Knowing this is supposedly the end of the overreliance is certainly reassuring.

I would have liked to see a different film from the Hollywood version though. I honestly think that would've made a significant difference. Potentially using the real actors. GTA V may be the highest grossing piece of media ever, but using the graphic models that look like they were pulled straight from that game and thrown over giant 360 screens in a theme park simply doesn't work.

Knowing this is supposedly the end of the overreliance is certainly reassuring.

I would have liked to see a different film from the Hollywood version though. Potentially using the real actors. GTA V may be the highest grossing piece of media ever, but using the graphic models that look like they were pulled straight from that game and thrown over giant 360 screens in a theme park simply doesn't work.

It's the first thing I noticed - why film these actors if they are going to look fake?

Maybe changing the time of day to night could help? (Especially since the whole plot takes place at night.....)

Don't get me wrong - my positivity on this attraction is in no way saying that it is good; but more so saying I had fun, which ultimately is the point of a theme park ride. From what I understand, UC did the best they could with what they were given. The chips were stacked against them when it should have never been. F&F is one of their premiere franchises, and it does deserve better than what they got - BUT with what we have.... it is what it is.

Quick question for those who rode it since I haven't really seen it mentioned but how is the motion base in the 360 scene? Is it fun and a little more dynamic than the Hollywood version? How does it compare to Kong? If we're going to be stuck with those terrible visuals maybe the "thrill" aspect of really fun motion base can help compensate a little?

Reactions: tankart150
Quick question for those who rode it since I haven't really seen it mentioned but how is the motion base in the 360 scene? Is it fun and a little more dynamic than the Hollywood version? How does it compare to Kong? If we're going to be stuck with those terrible visuals maybe the "thrill" aspect of really fun motion base can help compensate a little?

It's similar to our kong but a little more intense. Rode in row 3 and 8 and it was more intense in 8. You get that back of the bus effect where you get that extra pop because you are behind the wheel.