Fast and Furious: Hollywood Drift coaster (Opening 2026) | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast and Furious: Hollywood Drift coaster (Opening 2026)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So when is this coaster rumored for? 24 or 25? I don't really have a concept of how much work or time it is going to take.
Most of us were thinking 2024. But considering how long it is taking to demo AA and SES and start prep work on the actual coaster, I don't know if the 2024 date can still happen. Maybe they can time the opening date to open alongside the final Fast and Furious movie. Instants like a big ticket ride being delayed make me wish Uni would consider rotating in a new DWT film in the event 2024 winds up being an off year. Maybe they will make up for that though with a one two punch for 2025. Fast and Furious coaster and a new DWT film themed to Shrek if Shrek 5 comes out in 2025. It has been pointed out that any new film for the DWT would likely have to be produced alongside a DW film in production as animation costs are expensive and it would be too costly to produce a DWT film as a standalone product. Producing alongside a film along side a DW film destined for actual theaters helps shoulder a lot of costs. With Shrek 5 likely to be a huge hit, I imagine they want to take advantage of the hype and having a tie in film for the DWT would be perfect marketing.

Last edited:
I heard 18 month construction timeline from whenever they start the demo, so 2025 is most likely
Fall 2025 is when this would open if there is an 18 month timeline. Hopefully they have a new DWT film ready for spring/summer 2025. Then in the fall the spotlight can be on F&F.

I'm thinking '25. But that leaves nothing for next year...?
Fingers crossed maybe we get lucky and they add a new show for Dream works. That or the Tram gets something new but can't think of much else that can do to have a new attraction opening next year besides those two

Most of us were thinking 2024. But considering how long it is taking to demo AA and SES and start prep work on the actual coaster, I don't know if the 2024 date can still happen. Maybe they can time the opening date to open alongside the final Fast and Furious movie. Instants like a big ticket ride being delayed make me wish Uni would consider rotating in a new DWT film in the event 2024 winds up being an off year. Maybe they will make up for that though with a one two punch for 2025. Fast and Furious coaster and a new DWT film themed to Shrek if Shrek 5 comes out in 2025. It has been pointed out that any new film for the DWT would likely have to be produced alongside a DW film in production as animation costs are expensive and it would be too costly to produce a DWT film as a standalone product. Producing alongside a film along side a DW film destined for actual theaters helps shoulder a lot of costs. With Shrek 5 likely to be a huge hit, I imagine they want to take advantage of the hype and having a tie in film for the DWT would be perfect marketing.

Respectfully, you do not fully understand what you are talking about regarding the animation timelines/process. "If" Shrek 5 comes out in 2025 is a non-starter considering that film has not even entered production - these movies take 3 years minimum once they really get going. Animations for experiences like the DWT are not so prohibitively expensive that they necessarily require coordination with the production of an accompanying feature film, though I'm sure that having easier access to the voice talent (if in the budget/used) would not hurt. Illumination animation for attractions is routinely developed by a separate team than the folks working on the feature films, while the Kung Fu Panda film was originally developed for the MotionGate Dubai attraction (with Universal's custom pre-show animation created later).

Reactions: BriefCasey and Nico
They don't have to open something every year guys. From their view, it might be smarter to hold things back if they can ride the demand from Nintendo and slightly delay capital expenditure.

Reactions: Nico
They don't have to open something every year guys. From their view, it might be smarter to hold things back if they can ride the demand from Nintendo and slightly delay capital expenditure.

They can still add capital into the park if it doesn't even mean for it to automatically be a new ride.

Studio Tour for instance, considering we've seen this occur last year with Jupiter's Claim and having the sets moved from Agua Dulce to the parks. Nighttime Lights even, as that debuted in 2017. I imagine they'll put in the effort for a new addition even if it isn't F&F.

I heard 18 month construction timeline from whenever they start the demo, so 2025 is most likely

So hypothetically if they start the construction timetable next week, that would mean construction itself would likely wrap up by November of 2024 for the 18 month period in the terms of demolition to finishing the "construction" aspect proper. Add in inspections, testing, and technical rehearsals: and you could have a pretty cool and easy February 2025 for Fast & Furious: Hollywood Drift, depending on the speed that inspections/testing occurs.

Of-course: I am also neglecting on the matter of ride ops, and the training and hiring that will occur too; but the point still stands that Early 2025 is feasible here if they keep to that 18 month timetable.

Maybe but as an AP, I hope we get something new every year. It's what keeps me staying as an AP and next year if they seem to have nothing new coming then I might get an AP at other Parks.

If the Plaza gets seasonal shows then I'd be cool with that on off years but nothing new next year would be pretty lame when Sea World even gets tons of new stuff most years

Respectfully, you do not fully understand what you are talking about regarding the animation timelines/process. "If" Shrek 5 comes out in 2025 is a non-starter considering that film has not even entered production - these movies take 3 years minimum once they really get going. Animations for experiences like the DWT are not so prohibitively expensive that they necessarily require coordination with the production of an accompanying feature film, though I'm sure that having easier access to the voice talent (if in the budget/used) would not hurt. Illumination animation for attractions is routinely developed by a separate team than the folks working on the feature films, while the Kung Fu Panda film was originally developed for the MotionGate Dubai attraction (with Universal's custom pre-show animation created later).
The motion gate attraction had to have some footage modified by DreamWorks for some parts like when the theater breaks away and rebuilds itself. But if they can find a separate team to develop new films for the DWT for a year where there is no major new attraction, they should go for it. I do understand that since animation still costs a considerable amount of money, any film and future films for DWT would need to stay for X amount of years to make sure the artists feel like they get their return on investment. Maybe it is also about trying to find what DW IP is popular enough to warrant a DWT film.

The motion gate attraction had to have some footage modified by DreamWorks for some parts like when the theater breaks away and rebuilds itself. But if they can find a separate team to develop new films for the DWT for a year where there is no major new attraction, they should go for it. I do understand that since animation still costs a considerable amount of money, any film and future films for DWT would need to stay for X amount of years to make sure the artists feel like they get their return on investment. Maybe it is also about trying to find what DW IP is popular enough to warrant a DWT film.
HTTYD would be perfect right now until Shrek.

I'd also love it if they could somehow have Panda come back for Lunar New Years. I feel like that would be such a win for APs we have a new show but also the old one comes back for a few weeks like Soarin at DCA