DreamWorks Animation at USH | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Animation at USH

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 23, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
It's official: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/28/comcast-to-buy-dreamworks-animation.html

The deal is expected to close by the end of 2016. When the acquisition is completed, DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg will become chairman of DreamWorks New Media and a consultant to NBCUniversal.

"Having spent the past two decades working together with our team to build DreamWorks Animation into one of the world's most beloved brands, I am proud to say that NBCUniversal is the perfect home for our company; a home that will embrace the legacy of our storytelling and grow our businesses to their fullest potential," Katzenberg said in a statement.

NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke said that DreamWorks is a great addition to the company and will help it "grow [its] film, television, theme parks and consumer products businesses for years to come."

"Adding DreamWorks to NBCUniversal will help us accelerate all three of these lines of business in the future ... This acquistion is a statement about NBCUniversal's commitment to keep building and investing in the creative part of the business," Burke told CNBC.

DreamWorks will bring a number of popular film franchises to NBCUniversal including "Shrek," "Madagascar," "Kung Fu Panda," and "How to Train Your Dragon."

It's also noteworthy that DWA owns the Classic Media Library, which was acquired four years ago: http://deadline.com/2012/07/dreamworks-animation-buy-classic-media-rocky-bullwinkle-305403/ (this includes the Raskin/Bass holiday classic "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", which SeaWorld bought the theme park rights for last year for an uncertain amount of time)

For the record, all stateside DWA-franchise park rights have expired and now belong to Universal. Of course, this most likely means more for Universal's Orlando resort which is rumored to be prepping a third gate. Yet for now let's speculate on what this means about our neck of the woods. First off, Shrek 4D no longer will have to be subject to contract renewals. Universal will now fully own the attraction. And that's... well, subjective for sure. (okay it sucks)

Secondly, with the deal being closed by 2017, could we see DWA characters such as Po from Kung Fu Panda, or Hiccup and Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon show up? The animals of Madagascar? That Jerry Seinfeld bee from Bee Movie? Hopefully not the Will Smith fish from Shark Tale.

Jokes aside: what do you think Universal Studios Hollywood could benefit from this bevy of acquired IPs?

I think HTTYD really opens up a world of possibilities as far as attractions go. A Manta style ride would be really cool, but I know that probably won't happen.

Adding DreamWorks Animation to NBCUniversal's portfolio will obviously bring a bevy of ideas and concepts from Universal Creative. Hopefully they do not rush into anything and are very careful in how the handle these properties. What'll be interesting to watch is how Universal Studios Hollywood handles the expansion. Just by the looks of things, Hollywood is already slated to get Diagon Alley, Nintendo and SLoP. So where does this leave the DreamWorks IP's?

I'm under the assumption that whatever Creative does for Orlando, the DreamWorks IP's would be getting full fledged lands possibly even over at their 3rd gate. Obviously Hollywood doesn't have that luxury. Does that mean USH only gets one off attractions and not full land experiences? And where will these attractions go on the property? Hollywood has been moving towards the full land experiences and with what's coming that trend will continue (with the exception of SLoP). How To Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar and Shrek are the four biggest brands in the DreamWorks catalog. Do you mind them doing one off attractions? Do you want them to do full fledged lands of these IP's? Where can they expand?

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ryan and Alexshow.
Adding DreamWorks Animation to NBCUniversal's portfolio will obviously bring a bevy of ideas and concepts from Universal Creative. Hopefully they do not rush into anything and are very careful in how the handle these properties. What'll be interesting to watch is how Universal Studios Hollywood handles the expansion. Just by the looks of things, Hollywood is already slated to get Diagon Alley, Nintendo and SLoP. So where does this leave the DreamWorks IP's?

I'm under the assumption that whatever Creative does for Orlando, the DreamWorks IP's would be getting full fledged lands possibly even over at their 3rd gate. Obviously Hollywood doesn't have that luxury. Does that mean USH only gets one off attractions and not full land experiences? And where will these attractions go on the property? Hollywood has been moving towards the full land experiences and with what's coming that trend will continue (with the exception of SLoP). How To Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar and Shrek are the four biggest brands in the DreamWorks catalog. Do you mind them doing one off attractions? Do you want them to do full fledged lands of these IP's? Where can they expand?

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I'd be down for One-offs, especially considering the space that USH has is limited. Personally; I actually would love to see an Dark ride based off of KFP that uses the gesture technology seen in NInjago from LEGOLAND, but trackless.

I think it's time to really start optioning that golf course. I know it's unrealistic but comcast should start throwing some numbers out there to see where a possible 2nd hollywood gate would stand.

Reactions: Alexshow.
I think it's time to really start optioning that golf course. I know it's unrealistic but comcast should start throwing some numbers out there to see where a possible 2nd hollywood gate would stand.

The more I think about it, the more I have to say that I could see it; but, in a HUGE amount of Money that Comcast would have to do to just get it. Although considering that Comcast tried to purchase Time Warner Cable for 55 Billion; I don't see it impossible. Although, would it be worth it? That'd be a good question to raise.

Personally, if they buy the Golf course; I have to imagine that instead of a theme park, we'd see a big chunk of the movie studio move to the Golf course, including the Backlot and a number of SS's. But, that'd be just me, as I would think of it making sense if they want to maximize the current amount of space of USH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: k_peek_2000
The funny thing is that a themepark in dubai is being built with DreamWorks rides called motiongate. I wonder what will happen to that park. I would like to all those grab and goes next too jurassic cafe go aswell as the mummy. If they really tried they could  try to fit a Kung fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon mini lands. 

The funny thing is that a themepark in dubai is being built with DreamWorks rides called motiongate. I wonder what will happen to that park. I would like to all those grab and goes next too jurassic cafe go aswell as the mummy. If they really tried they could  try to fit a Kung fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon mini lands. 

From what it seems, I wouldn't be surprised to see ROTM go but not for DWA; but possibly instead of a new Tram loading dock.

I do want to see DWA much more incorporated to the parks; and I hope that we'll see it come to play in the next few years, but considering that Nintendo and Diagon is rumored to pop up for USH; I doubt it will be a major addition.

Do you think that maybe a DreamWorks parade or show would be a possiblity?

In a way; a parade at USH is right now..shall I say, not physically possible. As for a show, IU made a good point on the Podcast that they may just incorporate some of the films in montages for shows like Animal Actors and/or SES (Which, I can see either way). I do have a feeling that we could see an increase of characters from DWA to pop up for Meet and Greets; as that wouldn't be impossible.

You are right. Could the globe theatre be used for a type of show? I believe they just used it for auditions for the new walking dead attraction.

You are right. Could the globe theatre be used for a type of show? I believe they just used it for auditions for the new walking dead attraction.

The Globe Theatre is a location that is used for Private Events, Auditions for some of their events, and sometimes as a place for when it rains so people can keep being dry. I think that if Globe Theatre ever goes (which never doubt Comcast); it wouldn't be for a show, but instead something else that'd fit into the area.

Reactions: Dylan Beck