Does USH have enough attractions to keep capactity flowing when WWHP comes? | Inside Universal Forums

Does USH have enough attractions to keep capactity flowing when WWHP comes?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 17, 2014
When a new attraction like Radiator Springs Racers or Diagon Alley comes to its respected park, the park can run smoothly because they have 20 to 30 attractions behind them to keep the masses flowing and are not all in one spot. Universal on the other hand has only a handful  of attractions: Minion Mayhem, Jurassic Park, Mummy, Transformers, Simpsons, and Tram Tour, these are all the people eaters, with shrek being one to a certain extent since it runs continuosly every 20 to 25 min. Shows like Waterworld, Animal Actors and Special Effects wont be big people eaters since theyre on a couple of times a day. Universal Plaza, Dino Play Area, Universal Experience wont do much damage. SSFL will place a small dent with the amount of crowds it gets. Its very small and tight lineup in my opinion, how will USH fare towards Harry Potter World? Whats your opinion on the amount of attractions going into next years grand addition?

Reactions: Zacharygof
Potter will draw people to the park. But also the Wizarding World itself adds capacity to the park. When Potter opens I expect it to be crowded. But anyone inside the Wizarding World can not at the same time be in other regions of the park. Because of this, I am not sure that the wait times would drastically increase for the non Potter attractions.

Simple answer:  No.

Shrek can operate shows every 10 minutes and post a respectable wait time.  Waterworld can start a show every 70 minutes.  With over 2000 people per show, that is very close to the same hourly count as most rides.  The Studio Tour is the tough one.  That is why the Tour has had scheduled timed tickets as well.

Reactions: Alexshow.
I think the return time tickets made the tram line go painfully slow last weekend. My girlfriend and I showed up for a 30 minute wait and the line visually looked pretty short. Somehow they kept filling up trams even though out line was barely moving. It took us closer to 50 minutes in reality. They were out of tickets for the day by the time we got to the park. Oh well, now we know! 

When Supercharged opened, they reached capacity. Expect it to be a lot worse come Potter.

I really don't think they'll be able to make up for the big Potter blow until after the land opens and they start working on the Lower Lot. They need something on the other end of the StarWay drawing close to or about as many guests as Potter is, but until then, the Upper Lot is going to be horrendous.

Look at the crowds today.

waittimes%202.png

What else to say? They're screwed.
No other way to state it. They really are screwed. They just do not have enough attractions to comfortably absorb or handle the crowds even NOW, and with Potter it will be even worse times 1000000. They need to fast track a few more attractions as soon as realistically possible.

No other way to state it. They really are screwed. They just do not have enough attractions to comfortably absorb or handle the crowds even NOW, and with Potter it will be even worse times 1000000. They need to fast track a few more attractions as soon as realistically possible.
I totally agree with you bro . Next year is really gonna be horrendous with the crowds , But this is a good sign because now universal can expend more attractions

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that the park will hit capacity (which means at some point they'll close the gates to new entries) probably daily, for the first few months Potter is open. Those inside the park will have to endure the crowds, but it probably won't be too nightmarish as long as Universal doesn't try to squeeze too many people in before closing the gates.

Reactions: Aaron
Imagine the PR nightmare they will have to endure when they close the gates on a mob of Potter fans, most who are outside of SoCal.

I'd also imagine as a last resort that they will probably have to shut the universal studios off-ramp on the 101 to stop the freeway from getting backed up.

Imagine the PR nightmare they will have to endure when they close the gates on a mob of Potter fans, most who are outside of SoCal.

I'd also imagine as a last resort that they will probably have to shut the universal studios off-ramp on the 101 to stop the freeway from getting backed up.
That's why it would be smart for them to open Wizarding World as early in the Spring as possible. Let the locals get their Potter fix before tourist season hits.

Reactions: Aaron
There will be a new attraction in 2017. There has to be. They can't just sit. It literally has to happen.
Of course there will be! We will be getting something major every year for 5 years! And that is fantastic news! However..... That means at least a year stuck with these terrible crowds. Hopefully whatever they start building after potter is a big crowd eater as well :/

I am wondering if season passes will become extinct just to help with the crowd control.  Hmm.  I can imagine if we do not see a new pass introduced by October, things can begin to look bleak for pass holders.

Reactions: BernardMesa
I am wondering if season passes will become extinct just to help with the crowd control. Hmm. I can imagine if we do not see a new pass introduced by October, things can begin to look bleak for pass holders.
Oh I 100% think they will definitely still have an AP program of some sort once Potter opens, but it'll be completely revamped. I think leading up to it, they'll get rid of the Buy a Day ticket, Costco ticket, as well as the regular Season Pass, and only leave the No Black Out Dates season pass at its current or slightly higher price. Then, once the new land opens, they'll introduce a more expensive pass or a few different passes, all $200 and up.

I hate to say this but I think it’s more likely that they will stop offering the no-block-out pass and only offer a pass that blocks holders out during peak periods.

Look at it this way, annual and season passes are discounted tickets. Usually, if you are willing to buy a large quantity of a commodity (in this case, days at Universal), you’ll get a substantial discount.

Now if you’re running a theme park and you can fill it to capacity with people who are paying full price, you don’t want some guy in there on a discounted ticket. You want to fill his space with someone paying full price.

Discounted tickets are fine for off-peak periods when the park is not that crowded, but if you have to close the gates regularly due to capacity issues, passes aren’t so great.

Personally, I believe we won’t see annual or season passes offered again until August 2016 at the earliest. And then, as was mentioned, they’ll be far more expensive.