Disneyland Resort | Page 118 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I had a top level Disney AP for over 20 years. But I always said that the moment that pass goes over $1000, I'd be out.

I stayed true to my word, and haven't looked back. No regrets at all.

I do still visit Disney occasionally (maybe once or twice a year max), but I'll just pay a single day ticket.

And I think this tweet says it all:

I know all the parks are raising prices but that grandfatherred membership with platinum flash pass is cheaper than all the DL passes. SFMM is not everyon's cup of tea but the place I’ve had the most fun in the last year.

This is why I have a USH pass, it’s so worth it.
While the summers and Christmas time can be busy, there are a ton of days you can just go and walk on rides

literally no Disneyland day you can do that.

But hey, people are willing to spend 1,500 bucks on one then Disney has no reason not to keep raising the prices

Reactions: MrBlonde and Freak
I mean...a Disney pass is two parks and literally 10 times the amount of rides, attractions and shows. Universal I honestly get bored with after two visits. I'm hoping that changes after Nintendo though.

Reactions: queenmetroid
I mean...a Disney pass is two parks and literally 10 times the amount of rides, attractions and shows. Universal I honestly get bored with after two visits. I'm hoping that changes after Nintendo though.

This. I know we all talk about equivalent money, but is it equivalent *value*?

Universal (on both US coasts) is only worth visiting for Halloween. I don't think I've ever felt compelled to go there out of season because it isn't a park where I enjoy hanging out during the daytime. Disneyland still is, even in spite of the crowds and other hassles. I doubt that Super Nintendo World will change that for Hollywood, and even after Epic Universe opens in Florida, I will only add it onto my annual Halloween trip. Do you really want to go hang out at LEGOLAND? I love LEGO plus I'm nearby, but it's not a park for me. Neither is SeaWorld as my age increases because I can't handle roller coasters and there's little else to do. Disneyland I can ride almost everything and still enjoy it because the park atmosphere doesn't suck, and that's something no one else has figured out.

That said, Disney is still ripping us off, but they largely can do it because of the value, even for a grossly overpriced pass.

Reactions: DTH
This. I know we all talk about equivalent money, but is it equivalent *value*?

Universal (on both US coasts) is only worth visiting for Halloween. I don't think I've ever felt compelled to go there out of season because it isn't a park where I enjoy hanging out during the daytime. Disneyland still is, even in spite of the crowds and other hassles. I doubt that Super Nintendo World will change that for Hollywood, and even after Epic Universe opens in Florida, I will only add it onto my annual Halloween trip. Do you really want to go hang out at LEGOLAND? I love LEGO plus I'm nearby, but it's not a park for me. Neither is SeaWorld as my age increases because I can't handle roller coasters and there's little else to do. Disneyland I can ride almost everything and still enjoy it because the park atmosphere doesn't suck, and that's something no one else has figured out.

That said, Disney is still ripping us off, but they largely can do it because of the value, even for a grossly overpriced pass.

Gonna disagree that Universal Orlando specifically is only good for visiting during Halloween. Universal Orlando has way more fun rides than Disney and the park atmosphere isn’t bad at all (on both coasts tbh). I could see it only being bad if you can’t enjoy thrill rides, but it’s the more thrilling Disney. My last Disneyland visit (the middle of a non-peak week) was way too crowded to be enjoyable, there was a large queue for absolutely everything including the restroom. But yeah if you want to see bad park atmosphere go to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Last edited:
I kinda agree, but also do you have a group or people you go with?

To me this makes a HUGE difference, while I enjoyed going by myself. Going with Friends or my girlfriend takes even the most "boring" visits up a notch

To me the "value" of that $1600 pass is dependent on how many times you go to the park. If you only go 10 times per year, you're looking at $160+ per visit. However if you go to the parks all the time and you go a minimum of 30 times per year, you're looking at roughly $53 per visit. Many people go that often or go even more often, so they are simply going to have no problem selling them at this price.

Tbh, i'm surprised they didn't offer a new tier made up of a limited amount of $3500 passes with no park reservations needed, no blockout dates, a few more minuscule perks, etc. I can guarantee you something like that would sell out within minutes.

I kinda agree, but also do you have a group or people you go with?

To me this makes a HUGE difference, while I enjoyed going by myself. Going with Friends or my girlfriend takes even the most "boring" visits up a notch
Even for the $104, I can't quite convince anyone to go to Universal lol especially after already going for HHN, nobody is all that interested. So if I go, it's just me and my gf. As where Disneyland, I can gather up 12+ people on any ole weekend. 12 of us who have passes, and sometimes others who will buy a day or who is just visiting out of town, etc..

Even for the $104, I can't quite convince anyone to go to Universal lol especially after already going for HHN, nobody is all that interested. So if I go, it's just me and my gf. As where Disneyland, I can gather up 12+ people on any ole weekend. 12 of us who have passes, and sometimes others who will buy a day or who is just visiting out of town, etc..
There's also the sunk cost argument to be made. If people already go for HHN, but have Disneyland passes in hand, there's 0 marginal cost to go the DL whereas Uni they'd new tickets. It's asking "Do you want to spend money or use something you already paid for?"

I wish i could get 12 people to got to Disneyland, lol

My friends are cheaper so USH has always been out go to option. Its literally 150ish for a pass, if you are even going just for one day just upgrade if your local and it will be worth it by the second trip

Anyway back to the passes, I also don't know how easy it is to make a reservation but when I was trying to go months ago I had to keep checking everyday for openings....and I'm not paying over 1,000 bucks for a pass I have to check a website for to go when I want.

Also brings back the argument of getting rid of the studio tour for more re-rideable attractions/2nd gate. I’m sure USH is dying to get the kind of revisit value the DLR has but can’t because of the false notion that the old tour brings in the crowds. DLR has so many good rides and shows compared to USH’s maybe 3-4 re-vistable attractions.

Personally I just tell people who wouldn't be down for a USH pass to just visit when HHN is a thing (maybe get the after 2pm thing if you want to see some things). However, once Mario opens up I can see paying admission for a one day to check it out to be worth it for sure.

Also brings back the argument of getting rid of the studio tour for more re-rideable attractions/2nd gate. I’m sure USH is dying to get the kind of revisit value the DLR has but can’t because of the false notion that the old tour brings in the crowds. DLR has so many good rides and shows compared to USH’s maybe 3-4 re-vistable attractions.

I kinda hope they don't get rid of the tour, it gives the park its unique identity. Also lately you've been able to catch filming of stuff out in the open (most recently I saw Never Have I Ever just out in the open), it's kinda cool.

Personally I just tell people who wouldn't be down for a USH pass to just visit when HHN is a thing (maybe get the after 2pm thing if you want to see some things). However, once Mario opens up I can see paying admission for a one day to check it out to be worth it for sure.
My current plan is get a pass during the Holiday season so I can be prepped for any Nintendo passholder previews. 9 months would be fine as it'd be cut off right by next year's HHN. Even with Nintendoworld, I'd still maybe go 3-4 times at most, so it works out perfect for me. Once when I first get it for Grinchmas, once for Nintendo, a second time to catch anything I missed in Nintendo, and if I can, another final time to just say I used the pass a decent amount.

Reactions: baconwhiskers
2 questions here:
Is Star Wars Launch Bay currently open right now?
Are there any attractions or stores/restaurants that have still yet to open since the parks closed due to Covid?

Gonna disagree that Universal Orlando specifically is only good for visiting during Halloween. Universal Orlando has way more fun rides than Disney and the park atmosphere isn’t bad at all (on both coasts tbh). I could see it only being bad if you can’t enjoy thrill rides, but it’s the more thrilling Disney. My last Disneyland visit (the middle of a non-peak week) was way too crowded to be enjoyable, there was a large queue for absolutely everything including the restroom. But yeah if you want to see bad park atmosphere go to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

I realize I'm opening up a can of worms here because thrill and fun are very subjective terms and this is a Universal forum, but is anyone going to argue that Race through New York or Fast and the Furious are on par with or more fun than any Disneyland ride, especially in terms of re-rideability? Universal Orlando Resort doesn't have that many rides outside of that, and each one is easily equivalently matched at Disneyland. I was even able to experience every single UOR ride and attraction using an afternoon + HHN ticket. When I had a UOR pass, I could burn through both parks pretty quickly. I am very, very far from being a blind Disney fanboy, but as someone who's held a pass to all US Disney and Universal parks, there's just a very clear leader here for me.

Islands of Adventure 100% has better thrill rides than Disneyland and California Adventure and I like the park atmosphere, but even so, I'd be hard pressed to argue that the duo is better.

2 questions here:
Is Star Wars Launch Bay currently open right now?
Are there any attractions or stores/restaurants that have still yet to open since the parks closed due to Covid?
1) No, they do have some photo ops near it and Autiopia (it was the bobe fett set when I was there in june)
2) I think everything is re open now but you can search for a specific restaurant on the app/website

I realize I'm opening up a can of worms here because thrill and fun are very subjective terms and this is a Universal forum, but is anyone going to argue that Race through New York or Fast and the Furious are on par with or more fun than any Disneyland ride, especially in terms of re-rideability? Universal Orlando Resort doesn't have that many rides outside of that

Why bring up the worst two rides? I can nit pick Disneyland for having a bunch of outdated kiddy rides but I'm not.

Also there are plenty of other rides across the whole resort besides the two worst.

each one is easily equivalently matched at Disneyland

None and I mean NONE of their thrill and thrill adjacent rides at Disneyland match Universal Orlando's besides Guardians and maybe Indiana Jones on a good day. I will put the motion comparable Indiana Jones over Transformers, I'll give you that one.

You can go through both parks in a day but you gotta get lucky with crowds and have strategy (just like at Disneyland). I can do all my attractions of interest at both DCA and Disneyland in a day too, that's the nice thing about both places is both parks are so close to one another.

I'm also not trying to start a war over which resort is better as they're different, I'm just trying to point out saying Universal Orlando isn't worth visiting outside of Halloween is just not true (and with Epic Universe coming even more so). I agree with USH not being worth visiting outside of Halloween unless you haven't ever been to a Universal park, but I would tell them to come during Halloween if they aren't huge theme park fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
So I was there last night for the last night (again) of MSEP and Disneyland Forever and it for one thing just really reinforced how bad Magic Kingdom is missing an Electrical Parade and a proper nighttime show.

I want to acknowledge the It’s a small world float because I really enjoyed using IASW and the Mary Blair design as a way to put some of these newer characters in the parade.

It’s too bad Matterhorn is closed, but I’m glad it’s receiving love. Came mostly with the intent of seeing the stuff last night along with Halloween stuff (plus Avengers Campus), so it’s not a big deal.