Disneyland Resort | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thanks for the tip.

We are also planning to do  the reserved dinner package for Ariel's Grotto, so you tips are very useful.  :D

Do you mean the first day, or the morning of 11/12? Because I would very much expect that the first day.

Still, I'll definitely make a note to start at DCA that day to pick up a FP.

The morning of November 12. I wrote that reply while at Disney California Adventure. Apparently they were still distributing Fastpasses at 11:00 AM for what it's worth. I'm not sure when they ended.

Reactions: Ryan
DCA TR - 11/24

While I thought the day was going to end up being completely bad, turned out to be a pleasant surprise, and quite possibly my favorite visit to the park ever. Not only did I get to do everything (with the exception of Mickey's Fun Wheel) but crowds were moderate/ reasonable and almost everyone was happy to be there. Even made some friends. 

Started the day off with getting FastPasses for Radiator Springs Racers, then heading over to Soarin' Around the World, which while an upgrade, was a disappointment. It lacked some effects and didn't seem to have as much of a fun factor as the original scenes did. However, I don't believe all effects worked either and unfortunately did not check back later in the day. 

Procceded over to Cars Land, and rode the flats including Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters. It definitely is funner to watch than to ride, but I still thought the ride itself was pretty fun! Nothing worth writing home about, but unique. Decided to make my way over to ToT before my posted return time for RSR's. 

Tower of Terror will definitely be missed for the version it was, my was the atmosphere incredible, and definitely felt more forceful than the last time I rode it (which was '08). Still one of my favorite drop towers ever, especially the themeing. Such an incredibly experience. 

-- As for Late Check Out, the experience was definitely one of a kind and much different than what you normally would expect. While you may think you know the ride, the darkness still takes you by surprise. It's intense and suspenseful and definitely worth your while.

Radiator Springs Racers was fun as always, but did it for the first time at night that day and it was a much better experience, very nostalgic (Plus, I finally got to go through Luigi's after only ever going through Ramone's!) 

Rode Ariel's Undersea Adventure for the first time, pretty short. Nothing spectacular, but cool. 

Also saw Frozen at the Hyperion, and while I can't believe I'll say it, I thought it was a worthy replacement of Aladdin. The effects and puppeteering were great, as was Anna! However, they blatantly race changed Anna after the "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" sequence which was kind of awkward, but the main actress playing Anna was comedy gold. Every character has a chance to shine, but I wish I weren't sitting in front of these privileged wanna be guests complaining the show was too PC for having a black Anna and stuff. 

Ended the night with the Ariel's Grotto World Of Color Dining Package, which while nice, had it been about 7-10$ cheaper per meal would've definitely been worth my while. The service was not as good as you would expect, but the food was great, waiters however were a bit clumsy. But I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the Holidays. They were nice and tried their best. Desert was pretty good too. 

As for Season of Light, I'm so surprised by how different it was from previous incarnations of World of Color. It was so weird, nothing about it was too in your face about it and yet - it still worked. A very beautiful show and to the point. 

Overall, awesome day, and Adieu, Tower of Terror.

Also saw Frozen at the Hyperion, and while I can't believe I'll say it, I thought it was a worthy replacement of Aladdin. The effects and puppeteering were great, as was Anna! However, they blatantly race changed Anna after the "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" sequence which was kind of awkward, but the main actress playing Anna was comedy gold. Every character has a chance to shine, but I wish I weren't sitting in front of these privileged wanna be guests complaining the show was too PC for having a black Anna and stuff.

The character switching can be abrupt at times, but I don't think many children notice. It's interesting - the director of the production made it a point to note that children love to dress up as their favorite characters regardless of race, so it's nice to see color-blind casting carry over here. I don't think it's political correctness per say, but rather a reflection of their local clientele. If guests have a problem with it, they don't have to see the show.

Re: Aladdin - it's funny. Now that we're in the age of Frozen, watching Aladdin now almost makes the show feel archaic. Aladdin was a nice bridge between theme park and Broadway, and now that Frozen has passed the Broadway mark and then some, anything less seems unheard of at Disney.

As for Season of Light, I'm so surprised by how different it was from previous incarnations of World of Color. It was so weird, nothing about it was too in your face about it and yet - it still worked. A very beautiful show and to the point. 

It's interesting that you mention the show as to-the-point because Season of Light is actually substantially longer than Celebrate and some iterations of Winter Dreams. Guess they have a hit on their hands this season.

Glad you had a good time.

From our friends at Theme Park Adventure...

I'm not sure I agree with this train of thought. What is there to fix? I get that parking is limited, but no one is entitled to park at the resort during an incredibly busy day in the evening in the middle of the holiday season. I think if you arrive early and plan somewhat ahead, you'll have a fantastic time. That's what I've done, and I have no complaints. Universal gets very busy as well, and that's also not their fault. You can't really expect to go to Disney whenever you feel like it during whichever season and expect it not to be crowded. I don't see how that's realistic.

It's easy to blame pass holders, but they really shouldn't be faulted for purchasing a product that Disney themselves offer.

On the other hand, if Disney raises their prices to absurd levels, they'll also be chastised for being elitist or pricing people out. I don't see any good long term solution besides adding more parking and expanding their attraction roster (which they're doing).

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing the monthly payment option would reduce the number of annual pass holders without changing the price. Not that they wouldn't increase their prices again this coming year. The crowd level is why I'm taking a break from Disney, there's hardly an off-season, it really has gotten bad. The crowds leave me frustrated and I find that I don't enjoy my time there as much as I used to.

I think once Star Wars opens, we will see the end of the monthly payment option for the cheapest pass, maybe even the second cheapest as well. Disneyland itself can't handle the crush of locals that will flood the "off-season" days for $20 a month. However, if they did that AND raised the prices, I think they could repeat USH's AP delima when Potter opened. I know Disney is Disney, but they can only get away with so much. Anyone notice that they didn't raise prices on APs this year? I think they're afraid of ending up like USH. They don't want to show weakness by stooping down to offering the Disney Neighbor Pass from lower-than anticipated attendance figures. 

Also when the add more attractions, capacity will at least improve. Another reason it's also been too crowed on several days is because there has been a drought of new additions that will continue until 2018-17. We will have 6-7 years of not adding new rides. Let's not forget that the Star Wars construction ain't helping either with crowd flow. Once Marvel opens, I think crowds will start to be a little more spread out. 

Reactions: Allia
Keep expanding in multiple directions and eliminate dead spots. Guardians overlay does no favors. Attack that dead area in Hollywood Land. Open up the Tahitian Terrace with a Moana-themed show. Renovate TL. Buy GardenWalk, work on a 3rd gate or a water park. 

And to be fair, Disney is hard at work, but they still won't be ready for Star Wars Land. Sky's the limit here.

Right now capacity is down. In a major way. That we've all come to accept.

During the day, we lose both the Columbia AND Mark Twain, along with the canoes (Not much, but it's something), and the crowds that dwell on Tom Sawyer Island and rafts.

During night, there's crowds that aren't swarming for Fantasmic.

This also doesn't include the crowds on the railroad AND just the space taken up by the path blocked off between Frontierland and Fantasyland.

So much of the park is blocked off and re-routed, making distribution of literally a few thousand guests a fact of life.

Disneyland might get rid of lower pass levels, but I severely doubt they would get rid of monthly payments. While I would love it, knowing it would kill crowds, it will never happen, because it allows for people that could never afford the park to pay for it, forget about it, and pad Disney's bottomline.

The bigger question is about how they're going to handle the opening of this. Keep in mind that the pass blockout calendars are printed a full year in advance. They don't ADD blockout dates to that. And everybody and their mother is going to come when it opens. That leaves Disney two options. Either have the opening week be planned out laughably far in advance, hope they hit that target date, and it would show up like a huge wart in the middle of nowhere on the calendar, OR they can open it right during Memorial Day weekend when most of the blockout dates begin, so it can be delayed.

There will still be, of course, cast previews, AP previews, and, thanks to Cars Land doing it, a special "pay-to-get-in-early" event. But the question of Fastpass just for the land and all that is going to be something unparalleled.

I wonder if the APs being able to park hop will be limited in some fashion to encourage visiting DCA. Don't forget Disney recently debuted that DCA-only pass. That could be a secret test.

But, back to the monthly-payments, more don't come to the park than those that do. They wouldn't have resurrected the Socal pass if that was so. The real tragedy is now Sunday is a god damn mess to visit the park on. It's FAR busier than on Saturday and filled with a lot more unruly guests that are just rude. The park has a completely different makeup based on the days and times you visit. Sundays, years ago, used to be great to visit. After sundown, the park used to become a ghost town. Everyone left to go back to work or school for the next day. But now there's just cadres of social clubs lounging around and talking over the narration in the Haunted Mansion.

Really, they DO Need to kill monthly-payments, but I can't imagine it makes financial sense. Or maybe eliminate just for the lower level passes.

Reactions: Ryan and Allia
Also worth pointing out are the crowds right now. Mermaid is 25 minutes during the day, which is usually an insane marker for a busy day.

What that means is the Signature blackouts weren't to control crowds. The days are still super busy without Premium APs. That means it was a cash-grab, essentially.

Also worth pointing out are the crowds right now. Mermaid is 25 minutes during the day, which is usually an insane marker for a busy day.

What that means is the Signature blackouts weren't to control crowds. The days are still super busy without Premium APs. That means it was a cash-grab, essentially.

Last week of the year is going to be insanely busy no matter what. During this time, it's a matter of prioritizing one-time admission people over APs. Even though those blackouts were added for that pass, I don't think those AP holders mind taking that hit. Besides, why would anyone in their right mind go the last week of the year!? I don't see it as a cash grab but common sense. 

Also throwing this out there, Harry Potter had a four hour wait yeasterday with JP and DM:MM being 80 minutes. I don't even think it was that busy in July 4th weekend. Case and point, last week of the year is bonkers busy. 

Reactions: Rideguy70
Disney has reopened the pathway from Big Thunder Mountain to Fantasyland for the time being to help with congestion. There's quite a few videos circulating now of all the rock work and tunnels leading to Star Wars Land that you walk by now. I'm not sure how much longer they will keep it open.

Disney has reopened the pathway from Big Thunder Mountain to Fantasyland for the time being to help with congestion. There's quite a few videos circulating now of all the rock work and tunnels leading to Star Wars Land that you walk by now. I'm not sure how much longer they will keep it open.

Peak season ends Jan 2, that's my guess.

Yeah saw some of it. LOL.... there's one with the guy keeps saying "it's so cool" just by looking at the construction. My guess is that he will be like so freaked out when it is done.

Reactions: WhyDoYouHateFun?
Word on the street right now, via Park Journey, is that this will be the last month to purchase your pass with the monthly payment option. After that, you gotta pay for your pass in full, up front. 

As someone who has the cheapest pass with the monthly payments, I actually don't mind. Its way too crowded even on "non-peak" days. I wouldn't mind just saving up for a pass and buying one for when Star Wars opens. After all, that's the main culprit for the large crowds. 

Reactions: Allia and chris.g