Disney 1st Quarter 2024 Report | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney 1st Quarter 2024 Report

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The idea is to get a fervent fanbase (who’s too young to care about physical media) to subscribe for the one show/movie, then count on them to forget they’re paying a monthly fee. People forgetting is essentially the entire business model of the streaming industry (and why things like Rocket Money are actually apps that are taking off).
I mean I know lots of people who got Disney+ for Mandolorian which you can't get on Bluray. So if you want to see it that is your only option. A friend let us borrow his account to see it as I wasn't going to be one of those people. But guess what? I dropped cable and need a way for my kids to watch Bluey and now I have a Disney+ subscription. We got Netflix for Octonauts when Disney Jr stopped playing it. I am for sure not too young to remember physical media, but it is just WAY more convenient when dealing with kids for them to stream than get a CD out, especially my 6 year old who was 3 I think at the time we got Netflix.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I mean I know lots of people who got Disney+ for Mandolorian which you can't get on Bluray. So if you want to see it that is your only option. A friend let us borrow his account to see it as I wasn't going to be one of those people. But guess what? I dropped cable and need a way for my kids to watch Bluey and now I have a Disney+ subscription. We got Netflix for Octonauts when Disney Jr stopped playing it. I am for sure not too young to remember physical media, but it is just WAY more convenient when dealing with kids for them to stream than get a CD out, especially my 6 year old who was 3 I think at the time we got Netflix.

Well for now you can but I know what you mean

I said this in the TS thread...but its a joke they will spend 75 million for a concert that will not bring in that many people long term...but theme parks are getting no long term investments
Keep spending money into an app that will NEVER make the kinda profits the parks can...people send 200 bucks to build a lightsaber or almost 20 bucks on one drink.....you just can't beat that with an App that only can charge you once a month

Reactions: Grabnar and Mad Dog

Well for now you can but I know what you mean

I said this in the TS thread...but its a joke they will spend 75 million for a concert that will not bring in that many people long term...but theme parks are getting no long term investments
Keep spending money into an app that will NEVER make the kinda profits the parks can...people send 200 bucks to build a lightsaber or almost 20 bucks on one drink.....you just can't beat that with an App that only can charge you once a month
I will admit I haven't recently looked but 2 years ago my mom wanted it and I had to gift her a subscription instead since it wasn't on any other media and I looked everywhere. Glad they finally do because that was kind of a pain.

I agree all these niche streaming are going to have to start eating each other up in order to make a profit. Because there are too many streaming services. I do laugh because people drop cable then get a big one like You Tube then add Disney+ and Netflix and all the sudden you have your cable bill. We did OTA and got only services we needed and did save money. But I was forced out of cable when my Tivo got fried.

I think eventually people are realizing they are spending too much and drop these services. It is only going to get worse for most of these streaming services.

I will admit I haven't recently looked but 2 years ago my mom wanted it and I had to gift her a subscription instead since it wasn't on any other media and I looked everywhere. Glad they finally do because that was kind of a pain.

I agree all these niche streaming are going to have to start eating each other up in order to make a profit. Because there are too many streaming services. I do laugh because people drop cable then get a big one like You Tube then add Disney+ and Netflix and all the sudden you have your cable bill. We did OTA and got only services we needed and did save money. But I was forced out of cable when my Tivo got fried.

I think eventually people are realizing they are spending too much and drop these services. It is only going to get worse for most of these streaming services.
I mean plus they keep cutting content and charging more

The only way to watch house of mouse is illegally...I mean what a joke. I think pirating sites will slowly gain more people over the coming decade as these companies keep up putting out.....one show you want to watch a year

I do think Disney has finally turned the tide on giving parks proper investment. Even with all of the rocky film releases, negative media, the parks are still busy.

This next D23 should let us know if Disney is being serious or not.

I do think Disney has finally turned the tide on giving parks proper investment. Even with all of the rocky film releases, negative media, the parks are still busy.

This next D23 should let us know if Disney is being serious or not.
True but as other's have pointed out...start building NOW. Don't tell us what it is but there is ZERO reason DCA and AK should not be being worked on nowwwww.

Like they can announce it in 6 months but start building now they are slow as heck and any E tickets are going to take 3ish years to build

Reactions: Grabnar
True but as other's have pointed out...start building NOW. Don't tell us what it is but there is ZERO reason DCA and AK should not be being worked on nowwwww.

Like they can announce it in 6 months but start building now they are slow as heck and any E tickets are going to take 3ish years to build

Just for a timeline perspective...

Prior to Covid, Disney was "all-in" on Epcot and Tron. DAK was still on a high with Pandora, and DHS just got SWGE, so there was no motivation to invest in those parks.

Then comes Covid, and Disney has to find/squeeze every dollar they can to keep Disney+, their new business, afloat. So the parks end up getting pennies for investment. Chapek, instead of investing, decides to ride on nostalgia and cuts investment (plus slow down construction to spread costs throughout multiple quarters to help the P&L) into the parks division as they benefit from post-Covid travel surges. It's been more than a year now since Iger has returned, and we know that he's signaling for investment in parks.

It seems like, except for Epcot/Tron, there was nothing major planned for the parks back in late 2022 when Iger came back. Last year they were just throwing anything they could to signal to people that "eventually" we'll come up with something. Now that Iger has a more solid foundation in the business, there should be a lot more projects green-lit.

I think later this year we should start to see major movement in the parks.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Nick
People buy physical media still? :eek:
I buy almost all video games physical for example. Actually owning my games physically allows me to enjoy the product and then I have the option to sell later on and get money back after I’m done.

Physically owning your media is never a bad decision. Another good example for physical media that’s incredibly valuable and will only increase in value are vinyl records or collections (I own the entire Infinity Saga on Blu-Ray for example and the value has already increased a ton).

I know it did well with a November release last time…. But make it a February or early March release. Usually a lack of films around that time, will be in middle of winter so people all over are excited for a tropical island themed film. I think this makes it more profitable, don’t go up against Wicked.