Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Maybe so - But I can ultimately say with confidence that you aren't as big a fan as some of the people working on the land.
I have no doubt there are gigantic fans working on the land. What was their mandate, though? If their directive was to modernize the characters, that's what they had to do regardless of what they might personally have preferred to do.

And it is.
Rather than get into a semantic or definitional argument, I'll just say I disagree.

I have seen nothing from the land (so far; we have yet to see what environments are in the ride) that looks like it came directly out of any of the movies. It's a reinterpretation/reinvention.

And it's totally fair to think that's a great creative choice. It's not the route I wanted to see them take, personally.

I can totally understand the outfit complaint but otherwise - I think we're grasping at straws here.
I think if you got rid of the star trek vibe shoulder pads everything else would be fine. At first I thought it looked fine in the video, then the still picture I could study it was just the shoulder pads. I don't agree you don't know who he is. The teeth and bats give it away.

There she is...
image.png
Victoria Frankenstein right? The dress and hairstyle brings to mind Bloody Mary’s human form as Dr. Mary Agana.

I was not expecting them to do redesigns of The Monsters. Frankenstein and Wolfman look pretty cool, though something about Dracula just seems off for some reason.

Reactions: Wesker69
I have no doubt there are gigantic fans working on the land. What was their mandate, though? If their directive was to modernize the characters, that's what they had to do regardless of what they might personally have preferred to do.

Rather than get into a semantic or definitional argument, I'll just say I disagree.

I have seen nothing from the land (so far; we have yet to see what environments are in the ride) that looks like it came directly out of any of the movies. It's a reinterpretation/reinvention.
The goal was to modernize, yes. For several, very logical reasons including not having the ability to use some of UCM actors' likenesses.

The problem was designating this a Classis Monster land during the Speculation as it was never planned to be that. It was always a Modern version of Monster Land and was made clear by those deciding to share those tidbits. The other issue is the source material isn't just the movies. It's the novels, it's the retellings. The source well is deep for these Monsters.

But that doesn't mean the designers, as fans, didn't put the care in because of design mandate. Dracula still reads as Dracula - regardless of one's opinion of the direction.

And it's totally fair to think that's a great creative choice. It's not the route I wanted to see them take, personally.

"I don't like the route they took" is not the same as "They are treating the IP with the same level of fidelity as the others" - especially when this comment comes from a complaint about 1 character's design.

I don't agree you don't know who he is. The teeth and bats give it away.
I mean, it's obviously a vampire, of course.

But without any context, I maintain very few people would look at that and think "That's specifically Universal's Dracula."
bela-lugosi-dracula-hun-con-1.png

Truthfully the issue is mainly the jacket for dracula....switch that up and it will be much better.
I don't love his hair, either. Reminds me of the Dracula from VAN HELSING!

I mean, it's obviously a vampire, of course.

But without any context, I maintain very few people would look at that and think "That's specifically Universal's Dracula."
bela-lugosi-dracula-hun-con-1.png

I don't love his hair, either. Reminds me of the Dracula from VAN HELSING!
And I would counter the GP doesn't care about Universal specific monsters. They want Dracula and really don't care about which form. I bet you 80% who walk thru that land will have never seen the original movies.

Yeah....maybe it's mostly the jacket because I also thought of this...yikes!

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 8
For several, very logical reasons including not having the ability to use some of UCM actors' likenesses.
See, I was not aware this was a fact. If it is, then things are somewhat more understandable.

I still wish they would have paid what the estates wanted, because Lugosi and Karloff are the iconic versions of those characters, and Universal continues to make money from them.

"I don't like the route they took" is not the same as "They are treating the IP with the same level of fidelity as the others" - especially when this comment comes from a complaint about 1 character's design.
We just have a different definition of fidelity, then. I'm not using it to mean "care." Obviously there's a level of care being taken by the design team.

I'm using fidelity in the context of directly translating the aesthetics of the source material. The Ministry of Magic is going to look like the Ministry of Magic from the movies. Berk is going to look like Berk (as much as possible in a theme park with definite space). Nintendo looks like the modern games and the SUPER MARIO movie. Monsters is the only one getting a full-on "reimagining."

And again, everybody else may think that's great! I’m not saying any of this to claim that I’m “right” about something. I’m trying to explain why I’m disappointed in the general direction they’ve gone. I’m not saying anybody else should be.

I bet you 80% who walk thru that land will have never seen the original movies.
Maybe so, but through cultural ubiquity, they're familiar -- whether they realize it or not -- with the classic and iconic looks of the Universal-specific versions of those characters.

See, I was not aware this was a fact. If it is, then things are somewhat more understandable.

I still wish they would have paid what the estates wanted, because Lugosi and Karloff are the iconic versions of those characters, and Universal continues to make money from them.

We just have a different definition of fidelity, then. I'm not using it to mean "care." Obviously there's a level of care being taken by the design team.

I'm using fidelity in the context of directly translating the aesthetics of the source material. The Ministry of Magic is going to look like the Ministry of Magic from the movies. Berk is going to look like Berk (as much as possible in a theme park with definite space). Nintendo looks like the modern games and the SUPER MARIO movie. Monsters is the only one getting a full-on "reimagining."

And again, everybody else may think that's great! I’m not saying any of this to claim that I’m “right” about something. I’m trying to explain why I’m disappointed in the general direction they’ve gone. I’m not saying anybody else should be.

Maybe so, but through cultural ubiquity, they're familiar -- whether they realize it or not -- with the classic and iconic looks of the Universal-specific versions of those characters.

It’s more than just a money thing, FWIW.

Maybe I am the oddball out, but I really am not. That picture you put earlier means nothing to me. I am just looking for a drac like figure which they did. I do wish they didn't have those shoulder pads, that is the only thing that throws it a little off for me.

Reactions: alomar
To bring my two cents in, I think Dracula and the UM at large (outside of Gillman, Frankenstein's Monster, and Bride of Frankenstein) deserve to stay as the constant baseline of what qualifys as a great UM monster.

The Wolfman from 2010 has a fantastic portrayal of the viciousness and animalistic nature of the creature; and it still pays tribute to the practical musings and styles. Imhotep from The Mummy 1997 feels like a natural step-up from Lugosi and his presence is better than Bela's. And while we don't really have a modern Dracula in the traditional sense from UM (outside of Renfield); I do think there is room for growth and change that can easily come into play with Dracula.

That said, the issue I think is prevalent is the lack of a certain clothing bit, and of the shoulders. Fix the clothing bit, that being the lack of an actual choker; and remove the shoulder-pads and I think you have a fantastic Dracula.

And look, nobody here is as big a fan of the Classic Monsters as me, and I say that with confidence.
That's a bit of a bold claim lol

I'm not a huge fan of the design (yet, anyway) - but this also could be better for meet and greets as well. You're not going to find someone that looks like Lugosi for a M&G lol

Reactions: GA-MBIT