Comcast to buy SeaWorld? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast to buy SeaWorld?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That makes little sense. Universal was a more compact resort. Buying parks in Tampa and Virginia doesn't accomplish that goal

I'm thinking more so the US rights to Seaseme Street that come with Busch Gardens is why they would and I get the more compact resort but I would think they would want the two parks with the least amount of bad PR currently and a loyal local fanbase.

The rights to Sesame come with purchasing Sesame Place. The rights for Busch and SeaWorld to use Sesame all stemmed from the ownership of that park.

Comcast is smart enough to do due diligence on purchasing SeaWorld, but doesn't mean it'll happen. Example: purchasing SeaWorld would cost less than buying new land and coasters. I bet Disney is looking into it too. Just makes business sense to look at all options.

I'd rather Comcast stayed away from Seaworld. While Disney is ahead of Univeral and Universal is in turn, ahead of Busch, I'd still rather have a more competitive Orlando marketplace with several different styles, paces and flavours. I'm not a huge Seaworld fan, but I appreciate that it varies in pace and tone to the other, more full-on parks. The worst aspect of the theme park industry in the UK is Merlin's stranglehold on almost all properties.

The main reason why Comcast would be looking at the parks is for the land that SWO sits on. It's a large piece of property that has a HUGE advantage over just about any other piece of land in the area. Being it has already been developed as a theme park, they wouldn't have the same problems of neighbors complaining and everything else they would have to fight if they tried to build on an undeveloped property. That combined with the existing other existing assets (Discovery Cove, Aquatica) make it an attractive purchase.

And I would prefer that UOR do this:

blue=park
green=hotels
yellow=citywalk east

3rd_park_zpsb8ef7689.jpg

I'm not certain Orlando needs another park, that's another reason why I was thinking this would be good for Comcast. You get an established park with some baggage that could be salvaged pretty easily. Plus its pretty close to their hub. It would be cool to see what they could actually do with it, but like I said, probably not going to happen.

Even if Comcast was interested in Seaworld, I can't see them ever making an offer on it. Right now, Comcast is still trying to get regulators to approve their buyout of Time Warner Cable. It's a hard sell that affects their primary business (unfortunately, that's not theme parks - it's teleco stuff) and isn't going to generate any goodwill. Seaworld is, or at least had an intention to be, a media company. It's part of their name (Seaworld Parks & Entertainment). Yes, Seaworld doesn't have any media properties, like movies or TV channels, but they are a media company by name. Buying them out might complicate the TWC buyout because of greater antitrust concerns, or simply just add to all of Comcast's bad PR. As theme park fans, we might love them, but the rest of the country hates Comcast. Look at their recent customer service boondoggle.

I could see Comcast trying to buyout Six Flags though. Their market cap is twice that of Seaworld's, but the IP's alone are worth a fortune (DC + WB). I remember hearing that Six Flags would lose their IPs in the case of a buyout, so that might not work.

I agree that it would be a longer ride, but it would still mean Uni picks them up and more importantly brings them back. The hook would be, stay with us and you never have to get in your car the whole trip. That could mean not renting a car for those guests that fly in. Disney thought this was such a great idea, they wanted to build a monorail from the airport to their property (unless that was just a rumor).

No The City of Orlando wanted to Build a Monorail to I drive ,Disney and Universal.Universal was "on Board" Disney shot it down.They do not want guests to be able to leave property easily .

I think you may be confused/misinformed. What you may be referring to is American Maglev Technology's (a private company) plan to build a monorails style maglev train from the convention center to the Sandlake Road Sunrail station, to the Airport's new South terminal complex, to Medical City, to the Osceola Parway Sunrail station, to the Gaylord Palms, and lastly to Disney World. This is a multiphased project. The City of Orlando's most southern limit is just past Universal Orlando, so they do not even have the jurisdiction to build something into Disney World. Disney has also not commented on the subject of outside rail transport coming onto their property. I do believe that if Disney ever did comment on the subject it would be something like what you describe. If you would like more information on the subject the Orlando Biz Journal has many good reports on it, her are two that I found:
http://tinyurl.com/ozfuyvj On its location.
http://tinyurl.com/njaelsn and one on numbers on the project.

I think you may be confused/misinformed. What you may be referring to is American Maglev Technology's (a private company) plan to build a monorails style maglev train from the convention center to the Sandlake Road Sunrail station, to the Airport's new South terminal complex, to Medical City, to the Osceola Parway Sunrail station, to the Gaylord Palms, and lastly to Disney World. This is a multiphased project. The City of Orlando's most southern limit is just past Universal Orlando, so they do not even have the jurisdiction to build something into Disney World. Disney has also not commented on the subject of outside rail transport coming onto their property. I do believe that if Disney ever did comment on the subject it would be something like what you describe. If you would like more information on the subject the Orlando Biz Journal has many good reports on it, her are two that I found:
http://tinyurl.com/ozfuyvj On its location.
http://tinyurl.com/njaelsn and one on numbers on the project.

This is a different project than what Kevin was referring to.

I don't think it'll happen. The current management have a PR disaster on their hands, they are poor at best at managing the Press.

Also, Wall Street have had enough too, even CC are unlikely to want to spend the money needed to turn this park around.

This is a different project than what Kevin was referring to.

Yes there are about 4 different proposals floating around.But the bottom line is if Disney Opposes it .It will not Happen ... No City/County Commissioner is going to do something That Disney doesn't want or next election Disney will monetarily support their opposition . (and they know that)

Sorry back to topic

It is a PR nightmare at Seaworld .But they are undervalued.Comcast can and would make money Buying them.
The PR battle is not over .But Bigger enclosures is a good PR move ,But it says, in a way, yes the old ones were too small.

A new owner at Seaworld would say New Name,New Management,New Habitat ,New way of doing Business.
Also It would make the movie (Blackfish) outdated in a hurry.

I think they will be sold and they would fit in Comcast business model .
Plus with Comcast's reach into millions of homes they could turn this PR around.
That would be a Quick 3rd Gate ,with a New waterpark (wondersea). a refurbed Wet and Wild,
and 4th Gate they would very quickly be approaching equality(or surpassing )Disney.(until Star Wars park opens)

Last edited:
What if Comcasts waits for SeaWorld to go bankrupt and buys the property and strips it of everything except Manta and Atlantis, and just builds their third gate there.

What if Comcasts waits for SeaWorld to go bankrupt and buys the property and strips it of everything except Manta and Atlantis, and just builds their third gate there.

Now this I could see happening. Because then it would be cheap enough to consider all the expenses of ripping everything out and redoing stuff. But I am not sure Sea World will go bankrupt. I do see some company seeing potential in the parks and buying it before this ever happens.

Clearly Sea World is in no hurry to expand the tanks...and no new attractions have been announced while down the road Uni continues to expand..I think they have bigger issues than Blackfish..and I don't see anyone buying the parks either..

Someone will because they still have value. The buyer may decide to get rid of the buyer may decide to get rid of the orcas (and sell them to parks being developed in China or the middle east or somewhere else) and just run them as theme parks (which they are), adding more thrills. Six Flags pretty much did the same thing with Marine World (now Discovery Kingdom), slowly moving away from animal attractions and turning to thrill rides.