Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Coco Ride Coming to Mexico Pavilion?

This seems like a bad idea.

Gran Fiesta Tour works perfectly as a light-hearted, kid-friendly C-ticket. If Coco does $250 million+ DOM and becomes popular in terms of merch, an overlay could cause 45-75 minute waits for an attraction which caps off its queue at 20 minutes (or so). It hardly ever goes past 5 minutes waits due to its odd location. Would the Mexico pavilion be able to handle all of the Coco fans charging in?

Unless TDO builds it in the remaining expansion pad between Norway and Mexico, I don't see how a Coco overlay would work out at all.

Plus, there're better ways to fix up World Showcase:
  • Ratatouille dark ride in France (storyline altered to include some edutainment about Paris/France)
  • Rhine River Cruise in Germany
  • Mary Poppins dark ride in the UK
  • Updates to all three Circlevision films
  • American Adventure updates for ending montage
  • Mt. Fuji E-ticket in Japan
  • Any sort of attraction for Italy (gondolas, etc)
  • Mulan or Chinese New Year dark ride in China
  • new countries (Greece, Egypt, Switzerland, Brazil, India - some different regions/cultures)
2 new attractions (Ratatouille and Mt. Fuji), 1 new country (any of the above) and updates to the current attractions (Circlevision primarily, but more Three Caballeros AAs would be welcome in Mexico) would be far better for World Showcase than shutting down Gran Fiesta Tour for a few months and reopening it (same capacity/queue) with a more popular IP and further congesting that whole side of Epcot (GotG/M:S/Test Track/Frozen/Coco/closed Odyssey=:look:).

Increasing capacity in WS and plussing the attractions from Japan-Canada just makes sense until Imagination/WoL/Energy/Seas are fixed up.

Should they do that? Yes. Epcot is in terrible condition, and they need new attractions that increases capacity.

Will they? No.

Will they overlay/replace existing attractions for the time being so they can have people think that they have new attractions? Yes.

I'll repeat what i usually say about Mr. Hill whenever he is brought up as a source of a rumor, despite how angry it makes the parties involved.

Once upon a time I'm reading through a section of the Unofficial Guide to check it for accuracy in price,s offerings, etc.. for an updated edition. I come across a Jim Hill segment discussing a "rumor" or "insider tip" or whatever. I don't even remember what it was specifically about - but I emailed Len Testa being like "Hey, this Jim Hill tidbit isn't true at all. We need to put something else there or fix it or something."

The response I get is that the Jim Hill's segments are included for entertainment purposes and not supposed to be considered part of the factual information provided by the Guide. This trouble me, and I'm told to think of it like "color commentary."

He has also taken things I wrote to him to try and explain how things actually work, versus whatever theory he posted, and reframed them in a terrible narrative device where my notes to him are now a fully fleshed out "letter" but rewritten in a ridiculous character - and skewed to support whatever view he originally held before I tried to send him updated information.

I take great offense to being portrayed as a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad prospector in my written "voice" to this day.

So.. it's Jim Hill.

Screw him.

I have to ask as I always see a lot of negativity for his rumours but how accurate is his Disney history?

whether this is true or not, it is a bad idea... AGAIN!!! not just because the minuscule queue and the really low capacity, but the mess this will make in that indoor plaza if this movie does well. You know someone will have to give, whether is a store shutting down for queue space or the center merchants... Look at Frozen and the line all the way out, just obstructing the pavilion main path... what about people that could care less about Frozen and are just checking out the pavilion? Now they have to deal with the mess of people. So can you imaging the indoor plaza with hundreds and hundreds of people trying to ride, add to that Cava de Tequila's mess already plus people trying to get to and eat at the restaurant. Where are they going to queue them? in front of the restaurant, oh great! paying all that money for Mexican food to have all these strangers watching you eat, and probably being loud too, but who gives a frack? as long there's more guest going through the main gate (park entrance). I'm planning to go to Epcot tomorrow and I will try Soarin' but Norway is getting skipped for sure, I don't have the patience to deal with that clusterfrack.

Jim Hill was first for Frozen and SDMT of late. So while he is wrong a lot, he also does occasionally get it right.

And honestly with the direction they're moving with Epcot, I almost expect Coco in Mexico seeing they love ride layovers (or the idea of them).

Last edited:
Mexico's extended queue path is fairly well established. They use it every year for New Years Eve.

It does switchbacks by the restaurant and they actually shift the sales kiosks away to make some room for that. Then it goes along the side of the plaza on the left - the ramp down on that side becomes ride entry only. It goes out the door on the left of the pyramid room and uses the terrace before going down the front steps and off to the left again until it theoretically reaches Future World.

The CMs work as gap guards allowing the stores on the side to function.

If I recall correctly it's about an hour wait - maybe 45 - once it starts going down the front steps.
If Coco is popular at all, it will easily surpass 45 mins though, so I would think major changes would need to happen to the building of this actually happened.

If Coco is popular at all, it will easily surpass 45 mins though, so I would think major changes would need to happen to the building of this actually happened.

I doubt they'd go after Mexico's ride unless the film is the 3rd coming or something. Think of how long it took to get a mermaid ride.

Mexico has spent money and functions and isn't disliked. Maelstrom was being attacked by its own sponsoring country as outdated and culturally insulting, plus it was at end of life for the ride systems.

Epcot is fairly predictable as the ride systems are complex and have major costs once they reach a certain age. The decision is then to refurb, rebuild, or just close. It happens on a moderately predictable schedule.

Energy and Imagination are at the end of their functional lives.

I doubt they'd go after Mexico's ride unless the film is the 3rd coming or something. Think of how long it took to get a mermaid ride.

Mexico has spent money and functions and isn't disliked. Maelstrom was being attacked by its own sponsoring country as outdated and culturally insulting, plus it was at end of life for the ride systems.

Epcot is fairly predictable as the ride systems are complex and have major costs once they reach a certain age. The decision is then to refurb, rebuild, or just close. It happens on a moderately predictable schedule.

Energy and Imagination are at the end of their functional lives.
I'm not saying if it's popular that automatically means it gets a ride. I'm going under the assumption a ride happens.

The facts are that Disney aren't building rides without an IP attached any more. You can either have something like @chewbacca1995 proposed or you can leave World Showcase to remain as is for the rest of time.
I am guessing this due in part to the difficulty in getting sponsorships. If they have to pay for all of it themselves they want a guaranteed audience for traffic and merchandise.

I am guessing this due in part to the difficulty in getting sponsorships. If they have to pay for all of it themselves they want a guaranteed audience for traffic and merchandise.
That's actually exactly why. If they can't get a company to sponsor, than they view the IP as enough of a sponsor.