CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, my understanding is that the Universal location is operated by Universal. I could be wrong but I thought it was some sort of franchise type set up.

UOR location was taken over by Universal few months after opening. Had massive issues with service and quality consistency for months. That's why the Cowfish UOR twitter account has gone silent.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Joel
UOR location was taken over by Universal few months after opening. Had massive issues with service and quality consistency for months. That's why the Cowfish UOR twitter account has gone silent.
Well that explains it I guess. Also a good example of why In N Out wouldn't work at CityWalk. I suspect it's probably hard to manage a standalone location so far away and also Universal taking over the CityWalk location wouldn't be an option.

Reactions: SeventyOne
As someone who has opened and managed several restaurants and dealt with franchise partnerships, I can tell you all restaurants have service and consistency issues for the first couple months. All.

The thing with In N Out is they don't franchise at all. The Snyder family that created and owns the company is the only operator. So if an In N Out were to come to CityWalk it would be owned and operated by the Snyder family also. This makes it unlikely as Universal could only make money off of rent and a portion of the sales. There are many other unique franchise restaurants out there that Universal would make more money off of. This is why you don't see In N Outs everywhere.

There are many other unique franchise restaurants out there that Universal would make more money off of.

This is it in a nutshell. The only East Coast In n Out would be a P.R. coup, but a Smash Burger* or even an in-house "Universal Burger" (cf Disney Springs) that specializes in $11 burgers and sells booze is probably going to have higher margins than a glorified Mickey D's with a lot less hassle.

* [Feel free to replace "Smash Burger" with any of the dozen concepts competing in that market at the moment--any of them would jump at the national exposure UOR would offer.]

This is it in a nutshell. The only East Coast In n Out would be a P.R. coup, but a Smash Burger* or even an in-house "Universal Burger" (cf Disney Springs) that specializes in $11 burgers and sells booze is probably going to have higher margins than a glorified Mickey D's with a lot less hassle.

* [Feel free to replace "Smash Burger" with any of the dozen concepts competing in that market at the moment--any of them would jump at the national exposure UOR would offer.]

The specialty burger market is definitely over saturated at the moment. I'd prefer an original concept (especially with Universal's recent home-runs). Besides the food, the theming has been on point.

The specialty burger market is definitely over saturated at the moment. I'd prefer an original concept (especially with Universal's recent home-runs). Besides the food, the theming has been on point.

Yea, I'm all for a Universal version of Disney Springs' burger place, which is pretty good. If Uni did a burger place on the level of Red Oven they'd have a homerun

Reactions: SeventyOne
There's not enough stage space for a musical in there.
Technically that's an easy fix... just build out into the entry area and gut the building anything can fit.

The issue is they need solid data to prove that said show will generate considerably more revenue than BMG currently does in order to justify the cost, which is very unlikely.

Reactions: Quint
Technically that's an easy fix... just build out into the entry area and gut the building anything can fit.

The issue is they need solid data to prove that said show will generate considerably more revenue than BMG currently does in order to justify the cost, which is very unlikely.

BMG exists because they didn't do any real retrofitting into the theater. If you're going to blow out walls and do demo just start new. I expect BMG to stay for many many years and maybe a new show venue to open. The show is more popular than ever and makes a bucket load of cash. It's also now the largest standing show of BMG.

Reactions: Nick
BMG exists because they didn't do any real retrofitting into the theater. If you're going to blow out walls and do demo just start new. I expect BMG to stay for many many years and maybe a new show venue to open. The show is more popular than ever and makes a bucket load of cash. It's also now the largest standing show of BMG.
Oh I agree, was just saying that the space restraints aren't a deal breaker as they technically have space.

It's a matter of worth though and it simply isn't worth it as you're alluding to. Might as well build new.

The CitiWalk and Disney Springs AMCs are two of the busiest in the chain.

That honestly blows my mind a little. Like I said earlier, only being a tourist, I can only view theme parks on this scale as being something you do once every year or two so the idea of doing something that you can do back home is a strange concept but I can understand how locals can find it attractive.

Reactions: Joel
That honestly blows my mind a little. Like I said earlier, only being a tourist, I can only view theme parks on this scale as being something you do once every year or two so the idea of doing something that you can do back home is a strange concept but I can understand how locals can find it attractive.

None of the theaters where I live are nearly as nice as the AMC at Citywalk. I consider it a treat to be able to see a movie there on vacation. Of course, it'll be my home theater in a year, so.

Reactions: Joel and Scott W.
A big factor in this is that if your a local and you live in that area there really aren't many other convenient options. For many who live in the Disney or Universal area they aren't really deciding to go to Disney or Universal to see a movie they're simply going to their closest movie theater.

A big factor in this is that if your a local and you live in that area there really aren't many other convenient options. For many who live in the Disney or Universal area they aren't really deciding to go to Disney or Universal to see a movie they're simply going to their closest movie theater.
There is Pointe Orlando and the one in the former Artegon/Festival Bay, but I get your point.