Changes coming to Kilimanjaro Safaris | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Changes coming to Kilimanjaro Safaris

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I used to be a KSR cast member, so it's uncanny to experience the safari with no poacher scene. I don't blame Disney for letting the story go, though. The original conservation "sermon" has been dying since cast member previews in 1998, when the original goal was to preach a message with a dead elephant prop and a guy with an AK47. Eventually we said good-bye to "Big Red" and "Little Red"... now we just have happy animals in a happy theme park.

Wow I don't ever remember seeing that lol any pictures of that anywhere?

Having seen the actual groundplan for the actual "Zebra area" - it's mostly a decent structural redesign of the area. Much of the rockwork will be torn down - to the left of the vehicles will be mostly an open field and the zebra's main hangout. This will be dotted with little shrubs and feeding areas to entice the zebras closer.

To the right will be a sort of "oasis" watering hole reutilizing some of the old rockwork's plumbing to futher try and entice the zebras to explore around the vehicle path rather than simply flat out avoid it. The main rear wall of the old rockwork looks like it'll be staying though as a main barrier to end the area.

Sort of making a u-turn out of the area at the start will be an access road to the zebra barn area. It's a fairly long building with what looks like several enclosures for several dozen animals if needed. Like a long horse barn - long hall flanked with little stalls for each zebra.

A bit off topic, I know, but Six Flags Great Adventure here in Jackson, NJ is ditching their drive-though safari up-charge at the end of this season. When it returns in the spring, it will be an attraction within the park (meaning no additional fee), guests will ride in large jeep-like convoys, and the road will be gone, replaced with dirt trails, ponds, bridges, and other more adventures obstacles. Sound familiar? I was wondering if there are any other attractions like this, save for - obviously - kilimanjaro. Also, how do you guys think it will compare? Six Flags doesn't exactly have the skill or money WDW has, but, if my facts are straight, this drive through is 350 acres, while KS is only 100. And now that we're losing our little red storyline, they will be much more similar in purpose and execution (See, this it totally on topic :p). Anywho, here is the announcement article and video if anyone is interested. I think, in the end, Disney will have them beat in environment and immersion, but SF will have the cool "up-close encounters" KS steers clear of. We shall see.

http://content.sixflags.com/newfor2013/greatadventure/safari-off-road-adventure/

[video=youtube_share;u1YvS4DdGHE]http://youtu.be/u1YvS4DdGHE[/video]

Last edited:
^Busch Gardens Tampa has Rhino Rally which is sort of along the same lines as these other two but not as large of a scale as Kilimanjaro. I haven't been on since they removed the break away bridge water section so its been awhile. There is still a drive thru safari here in the West Palm Beach area called Lion Country Safari that is ok if you love animals and up for the occasional trip.

A bit off topic, I know, but Six Flags Great Adventure here in Jackson, NJ is ditching their drive-though safari up-charge at the end of this season. When it returns in the spring, it will be an attraction within the park (meaning no additional fee), guests will ride in large jeep-like convoys, and the road will be gone, replaced with dirt trails, ponds, bridges, and other more adventures obstacles.

Hmmm...I may have to go back to Great Adventure. My first and last time there ended up being a nightmare. I would not compare Disney/Universal to Six Flags because it's damn near impossible to do that (have you been to Fright Fest compared to HHN? :bang:) but if Six Flags has their animals closer, like that video shows, than in my opinion that is far better than having to use the zoom on my camera to get a decent picture on Kilimanjaro.

From another video they released today, it seems that you make even be able to feed giraffes during the ride. You probably have to pay for the food, though. :mean: But in regards to your trip, Six Flags has definitely upped its game the last few years. They're opening new rides every years, the parks are clean, gangs have relocated to more sensible places :lol: and it seems like that's a general feel nation-wide. I would definitely recommend a trip during may or september when the park's empty.

Having been to Six Flags Great Adventure and also the doing the Safari park I will go out there and say this is the beginning of the end for the animal experiences there. I was very disappointed with the overall appearance of the park and if your interested in going on Safari in the states there are about 10 other places I could name that are better. Mark my words by 2018-2020 the animals will all be gone.

Da Mouse posted an update about the Zebra habitat going in.

iNuuaKYY4tDKn.jpg

iK9Bh50PBZMlp.jpg

EDIT: WDW News Today posted this new segment of the attraction where the driver gives a backstory as to why there is construction for the zebra habitat.

[video=youtube;fg4Cf4lvZIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg4Cf4lvZIo[/video]

Last edited:
From Disney Parks Blog

First Look: Plains Zebras Head to Kilimanjaro Safaris at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

By far, my favorite part of visiting Disney’s Animal Kingdom is taking a trip through Kilimanjaro Safaris in the Africa section of the park. The attraction’s beautiful animals and their lovely savannah habitats sweep me away to a very peaceful place every time I visit.

Earlier this year we announced that the finale scene of Kilimanjaro Safaris at Disney’s Animal Kingdom was going to undergo some changes that involve adding an extra animal habitat toward the end of the attraction. Well, work is nearly complete, and today we’re happy to present a look at some of the new residents that will soon call this area home.

i8FcaBgRsJMz.jpg

The new habitat will feature plains zebras, which are native to eastern and southern Africa. They’ll be featured in the finale scene of the attraction, so look for them later on in the Kilimanjaro Safari journey.

From Disney Parks Blog

Guests are Seeing Stripes at Disney’s Animal Kingdom — Zebras Out on New Kilimanjaro Safaris Savanna
The Disney Parks Blog has been following our progress as a new animal habitat was added to the end of the Kilimanjaro Safaris as a home for a herd of plains zebras. I am pleased to share a photo from the zebras’ first day out (yesterday, October 23) taken by Disney photographer Gene Duncan.

iNeFU9dSr7pEx.jpg

Guests are having lots of fun snapping their own photos of the zebras, which in the wild live in eastern and southern Africa. And our animal care team is continuing to keep a close eye on the various members of the herd as they acclimate to their new habitat. The team reports that they are doing great.

While the other animal park is adding a state of the art dark ride were adding zebras! Take that Mr Morrow!

Blinded by Corporate Greed and terrible management they are...:saber:

Their new area seems kind of small. When I went on the ride last weekend, it seemed they were all clumped together in one little area.