Blue World Project - Orca Tank Expansion | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Blue World Project - Orca Tank Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the "Water Treadmill" concept that they're incorporating into this project was developed years ago. I think this is a great thing and suspect it will be an incredible boost to their image/attendance. What I don't understand, however, is why they would start with the San Diego park when it's under attack by the California State Legislature's "Anti-Orca Performance" bill. If that passes, San Diego is pretty well out of business. If it doesn't pass, THEN they should pull the trigger on the project. I don't get the thought process behind this...unless they're just not worried about the bill passing. Shamu and his associated shows are the main force that draws people through the gates at SeaWorld. If he goes, I don't see the park lasting long and I'd hate to see them blow their limited cash reserves for future attractions on something that may never open...

Last edited:
Interesting... I'm happy to hear this because regardless of blackfish or it's publicity, Sea World is doing something to make their whales have an even better habitat and that's something I really appreciate from them. Hoping to see this when (if ever) they get it complete in Orlando...

It isn't necessarily fake, just biased research, old research, and many old videos. This does not make it fake, but it does not make it true either.

It isn't necessarily fake, just biased research, old research, and many old videos. This does not make it fake, but it does not make it true either.

It is a fake documentary. They have some real video footage, but when lies are narrated over the videos to tell a different story then what was actually happening in the video it is not actually a documentary.

It is a fake documentary. They have some real video footage, but when lies are narrated over the videos to tell a different story then what was actually happening in the video it is not actually a documentary.

Is there a post somewhere online that lists the specific pieces of narration that are untrue, with clarification of what the truth really is or what is misleading? I would appreciate being able to educate myself on the absolute facts.

Is there a post somewhere online that lists the specific pieces of narration that are untrue, with clarification of what the truth really is or what is misleading? I would appreciate being able to educate myself on the absolute facts.

It has been a while for me, but it is hard to find unbiased information compiled on this subject. It always seems to be either completely for SeaWorld or against them, but the truth resides somewhere in between. After little research though it was undeniable to me that the producers of Blackfish purposely used deceptive tactics to present the narrative they were after.

Like I said it has been a while for me so the specifics are escaping me. I just started watching it again for the 5th time now and the first segment talks about Tilikum swallowing Dawn's arm which was known not to be true way before they made the 'documentary' but was never corrected. The next segment shows video of Tilikum being captured which was not by SeaWorld, which is not mentioned, and they splice in an interview talking about SeaWorld capturing orcas in an attempt to lead the viewer to believe that the video was of SeaWorld capturing orcas. That is just in the first few minutes, but it goes on with other deceptive tactics as well as straight out lies.

I did some research on this documentary a while ago and here are two of the sources I was able to find again:
http://********.com/53915-blackfish-exposed/ (for some reason it is not letting me link this so replace the asterisk with mice chat [no spaces] to see the article)
http://********.com/54370-blackfish-backlash/ (for some reason it is not letting me link this so replace the asterisk with mice chat [no spaces] to see the article)

Also, I know that the OSHA inspector who investigated SeaWorld was seen at one of the film festivals with the director (conflict of interests much?).

And there was this statement from Dawn's family which is not really proof of anything but how they feel about this whole project:
http://www.dawnsfoundation.org/shar...n-brancheaus-family-statement-about-blackfish

If you have not seen it, SeaWorld released this open letter which you can believe or disbelieve as you see fit:
http://seaworld.com/truth/truth-about-blackfish/

I had more research elsewhere, but here is the conclusion I drew about Blackfish based on what I have read: it is a sensationalist movie that only offers freeing all the orcas as the solution. That alone gives me great pause in respecting it as a film.
I also have a problem with it because SeaWorld is a huge marine life researcher and rehabilitator which means taking them down might not be the best strategy if you truly care about the animals. I am not saying SeaWorld gets carte blanche because of their work, but maybe people should work WITH them to find more humane ways to treat the animals instead of trying to destroy them.

Last edited:
My biggest issue with the film is that instead of a view from both sides, it just directs it's motives towards the cons of SeaWorld. I do recall several of the trainers that were featured in the film have been fairly outspoken on their portrayal in the doc and do not support it.

I'm excited about this project, but I fear that it won't look anything like the concept art. It's hard for me to believe their concept art after Antarctica...but I am definitely hoping it looks similar.

I like to think that SeaWorld has learned their lesson in overselling a product as they did with Antarctica. I just read an interview with Terry and he acknowledged that they didn't do the best job of advertising that ride.

I think the concept art at this stage in the design process is pretty believable though.

Wasn't the animal part of the art correct for the penguins? I am thinking they are much better at advertising and doing artwork for an animal exhibit than they are for a ride. They never really did a dark ride and I just don't think they knew what they were doing. Animal exhibits they can do and they continued to prove that with the penguin exhibit. That thing is awesome!

Wasn't the animal part of the art correct for the penguins? I am thinking they are much better at advertising and doing artwork for an animal exhibit than they are for a ride. They never really did a dark ride and I just don't think they knew what they were doing. Animal exhibits they can do and they continued to prove that with the penguin exhibit. That thing is awesome!

More or less. I do recall the penguin exhibit looking a bit larger than what actually was built.

Whatever happens next attraction with at SeaWorld better have an animal exhibit. It brings the focus of the ride back to animals from pure thrill. It also can sometimes save a persons view of an attraction and therefore the whole park. For example, Wild Arctic (it's holiday overlay) and Antarctica both are not the best rides in Orlando, but their amazing animal encounters almost make up for it. I also have to say that the best part of the Antarctica ride has to be the scene where the vehicle turns around and phases the live penguin exhibit.

You are forgetting to mention the person tagged as an expert in Blackfish was ruled by the OSHA judge
Not to be an expert in anything related to Orca's .
Another purported expert in the film has a Doctorate is in geography ,So the only expert testimony he should be listened too is on where in the world the parks are.

Well almost all the issues in the film happened 30+ years ago as well. Blackfish has been beaten to a pulp by people with actual knowledge of sea world that it isn't even worth discussing anymore but unfortunately people judge a book by it's cover and look what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.