Back to the future Returns (hopefully) | Inside Universal Forums

Back to the future Returns (hopefully)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 8, 2013
Hill Valley California
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201405/4002/

so I just ran into this little gem of a rumor about Back to the Future for its 30th anniversary.

I find it funny that a couple of months ago I was discussing with some coworkers about how they can bring it back into the park and now it so happens a rumor has sprung up with a similar idea we had....go figure. Regardless this would be very exciting if they manage to pull it off. And if it's even true

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201405/4002/

so I just ran into this little gem of a rumor about Back to the Future for its 30th anniversary.

I find it funny that a couple of months ago I was discussing with some coworkers about how they can bring it back into the park and now it so happens a rumor has sprung up with a similar idea we had....go figure. Regardless this would be very exciting if they manage to pull it off. And if it's even true
You should go check out some other topics on the forums, dude. Haha. It's been mentioned in about 3 others.

You should go check out some other topics on the forums, dude. Haha. It's been mentioned in about 3 others.
oh, haha, well I guess I got so excited by the notion of the return I didn't even check to see if someone already mentioned it. plus I've been on a bit of hiatus from posting in the forums, still been lurking though :)

Reactions: William
I have a feeling that back to the future will make a come back to Universal Studios Hollywood, if does I will definitely be the first one on the studio tour. :D   

Reactions: steve
That sounds like the most ridiculous fan boy idea I've ever heard of. I'd love for a BTTF themed attraction to come back, but that's not the future Universal is going for, forgive the pun. With no upcoming movies, there's no point in rehashing an old franchise unfortunately, despite there being lots of fans like myself. It wouldn't be profitable. Also, having a VR headset on a coaster defeats the purpose of making it a coaster, then just make it a simulator....

Reactions: Bonkers
I'd like for this to come true but like stated... huge gamble on Universal's part, especially with no movie or series in place to even revive the series. It sounds like an interesting idea none the less (minus the headset thing - don't see how that could work) but other than that this is an interesting concept. 

Hmm....i'll take this with a grain of salt. This looks pretty cool though. I have a feeling that this coaster might be like Gringotts Where it is a half coaster half simulator. Back to the future wouldn't work with a full roller coaster.

It seems kinda late to be announcing this now though. Oct 2015 is upon us. Maybe they will do a sort of late anniversary celebration.

Also, the DeLorean ride vehicle looks like a custom DeLorean limo that a fan built that you can look up on Google lol
Also, If this idea ever comes to fruition, how will they pull it off in coaster form? The coaster cars make it look like something out of Rockin' Rollercoaster in Hollywood Studios. Wouldn't be that immersive IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a completely ridiculous and entirely bogus rumor that I don't see happening. BTTF returning as a coaster has been a rumor/fanboy dream for a while, hell before Supercharged was a thing, Universal fanboys dreamed up a coaster experience for the franchise. But that's besides the point, this is another "i'll believe it when I see it" situations.... and honestly, if it was going to happen, it would've been fast tracked (HA!) so it could open in time for the big Oct BTTF anniversary "future" date.

HOWEVER.... sadly this is actually a real thing, not the BTTF coaster rumor, but the actual VR Coaster combo... yea, its a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBmRb3EFYcQ

yea the BTT article has been updated to state this BTTF coaster rumor is just a fan creation.

As for the VR Coaster concept itself... did a little more digging. www.vrcoaster.com

Also found a video that shows off what the person wearing the VR goggles/glasses are actually seeing while on the coaster. The video also shows the actual coaster in the corner of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_UDbMF-iwY

After watching that video, I realized something was vaguely familiar about the VR graphics I was seeing. It was pretty much "Cyber Space Mountain" at DisneyQuest at Downtown Disney at WDW. Cyber Space Mountain is a design-your-own-coaster & then ride it 2-passenger simulator experience. You basically choose speed (slow, medium, fast), location (space, lava, snow/ice, etc), & track pieces. The only difference between CSM & this VR thing, you actually see a track on the screen.

While its kinda neat, I feel like its also pointless. I'd rather see the coaster/surroundings rather than a fantasy world on a screen.

Reactions: Bonkers
I think this VR headset and coaster combo is for those who want a coaster experience but with simulator like elements. I could see this becoming a thing. Imagine how easy it would be to program the ride. And if you want people to see the coaster track you could simply have a showbuilding covered in green screen so that when the rider looks a different direction, the action is different.