Why aren't face characters (or skippers) Equity? | Inside Universal Forums

Why aren't face characters (or skippers) Equity?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeventyOne

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
Came up on another thread, Reel Justice agreed it's probably worth its own thread, so putting it out there...

WDW is a union shop--as far as I know, you have to belong to Actors Equity (basically a union for stage actors) to perform in any show where you talk or sing. Hoop de Doo, Beauty & the Beast, Disney Channel Rocks!, even the toy soldiers in the DHS parade (because they are on microphone). In contrast, if you just dance, but aren't on mic, you needn't be Equity.

In a meet and greet, Cast Member Y plays a princess. She's in character. I'm sure she has some basic script that she riffs off of. She talks, obviously. Why isn't this considered "acting"?

Jungle Cruise skippers and GMR gangsters are even more glaring--why aren't they considered "actors"?

Not looking to start a debate about union shops or the quality of performances. I just really am curious to know what legal justification WDW gives for not requiring Equity actors at these positions?

WDW can do it the same way that Universal does it. They just draw a line in the sand differently. It is much like a company only hiring college grads regardless of whether they have more/less talent than a non-college grad. Overall, they feel it is a guarantee of quality. Same with Equity. And Disney does more full blown singer/dancer shows than Universal has ever attempted. The company merely feels they can pull off their street characters just fine without a guarantee of any major talent.

Came up on another thread, Reel Justice agreed it's probably worth its own thread, so putting it out there...

WDW is a union shop--as far as I know, you have to belong to Actors Equity (basically a union for stage actors) to perform in any show where you talk or sing. Hoop de Doo, Beauty & the Beast, Disney Channel Rocks!, even the toy soldiers in the DHS parade (because they are on microphone). In contrast, if you just dance, but aren't on mic, you needn't be Equity.

In a meet and greet, Cast Member Y plays a princess. She's in character. I'm sure she has some basic script that she riffs off of. She talks, obviously. Why isn't this considered "acting"?

Jungle Cruise skippers and GMR gangsters are even more glaring--why aren't they considered "actors"?

Not looking to start a debate about union shops or the quality of performances. I just really am curious to know what legal justification WDW gives for not requiring Equity actors at these positions?

A couple of things about the unions. As far as the entertainment goes, there are actually 3 unions that play a huge role in Disney. IATSE, Equity, and Teamsters (I do not know for certain about the designers being a part of USA, but one would assume so)

IATSE includes your stage hands, the people setting up the stage lighting, loading in/out shows, costume maintenance etc.

Equity includes SOME performers and stage managers. The reason SOME of the performers are Equity and not all is because of the rules of the union. One of the easiest ways to tell if a performer is Equity or Teamster is where they are performing. If they are performing ON a stage or a marley floor or another approved surface; they are Equity. If they are performing in the street (parade, Mickey Mouse, Jasmine), they are a Teamster.

I hope this gives you a LITTLE insight into their unions!

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts