Using Photo Connect | Inside Universal Forums

Using Photo Connect

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 27, 2016
OK, so I sprung for the 14-day Photo Connect ($139 pre-paid). Now how to I use it?

How do I recognize a "Universal Photographer"?
Where can I find them?
The email says the Universal Photographer will give me "instructions on where to go to collect your Photo Connect card", but I'd kinda like to know where I will be able to pick up the cards. Where can you get them?
Are the UPs in the hotels, too, or only in the parks? How about CW?

Thanks!

They're the ones with the big cameras. :lol: In front of the Universal globe, inside the park entrance, at photo op areas like Raptor Encounter and the Transformers meet & greet, etc.

From experience, Photo Connect can actually be a little confusing because it's range is quite large. It also includes Auto Capture locations where you can scan your card, and automatically take a picture from a camera with a countdown - a selfie of sorts. I know there's one of these located in Jurassic Park.

You'll probably find this thread pretty useful - as it goes into depth about photo connect. Some of it is out of date though, but not all of it.

From experience, Photo Connect can actually be a little confusing because it's range is quite large. It also includes Auto Capture locations where you can scan your card, and automatically take a picture from a camera with a countdown - a selfie of sorts. I know there's one of these located in Jurassic Park.

You'll probably find this thread pretty useful - as it goes into depth about photo connect. Some of it is out of date though, but not all of it.

That thread is pretty old and dated.
I do have a question. Do you have to buy and get the star card in the park? I would like to not have to spend early entry time getting a card set up for our visit. I arrive a full day before we plan to hit the parks. Can you set this up outside at all? Our first destination is FJ, and it would be nice to just add the pictures to an active star card account.

I do have a question. Do you have to buy and get the star card in the park? I would like to not have to spend early entry time getting a card set up for our visit. I arrive a full day before we plan to hit the parks. Can you set this up outside at all? Our first destination is FJ, and it would be nice to just add the pictures to an active star card account.

Yeah it's pretty old but the basics remain the same. I have never tried nor known anyone to try to get a star card outside of the park, but I did some research and found this:

4aQCuK1.png

after going to buy a star pass from this page. So it looks like you can purchase your star card online and go to the will-call window outside the gates to pick it up, so you'd be all set for the next morning at FJ. You most likely can purchase it in person at the will-call too, but I can't find any information on that.

Reactions: sparky
Yeah it's pretty old but the basics remain the same. I have never tried nor known anyone to try to get a star card outside of the park, but I did some research and found this:

4aQCuK1.png

after going to buy a star pass from this page. So it looks like you can purchase your star card online and go to the will-call window outside the gates to pick it up, so you'd be all set for the next morning at FJ. You most likely can purchase it in person at the will-call too, but I can't find any information on that.

Thanks. I am awful at finding info like that.

I think they use to have a savings if you purchase online ahead of time. When you have your conformation, you can pick up your Star Card at anytime at one of the PhotoConnect stores.

To not waste your early entry, you can get a regular card from any of the photographers you use, then ask to transfer pictures from the card the photographer gave to you to your Star Card when they exchange your conformation for the Star Card.

This is old info as well since we have not gotten the card in the last couple of years, but that is how it use to work.

4aQCuK1.png

Thanks. That's quite useful. In the email after purchase, they just say to "ask any Universal Photographer". I guess they keep changing where you can get the Star Card, so this is easier than changing the automatically generated email all the time.
It's really easy to purchase online ahead of time. But be aware that the universalorlando.com site has incomplete information. It's better to go directly to universalphotoconnect .com (thanks, Unofficial Guides!). Specifically, I wanted the 14-day option, and only 1- and 3-day options were available on the universalorlando.com site.

Do the Universal Photographers have something to distinguish them? Like the WDW photographers have a special lanyard and usually wear photographer's "combat-travel" vests.

Also, are there any Universal Photographers outside the parks? Like in CW or at the hotels?

Do the Universal Photographers have something to distinguish them? Like the WDW photographers have a special lanyard and usually wear photographer's "combat-travel" vests.

Also, are there any Universal Photographers outside the parks? Like in CW or at the hotels?

I can't answer all of these with 100% certainty, but I know that universal photographers are not as numerous as Disney photographers. I have never done photo connect myself, only have been with a friends family who did - but I can't recall a lanyard or anything - they just stand in busy areas with a huge camera and an employee uniform. They often stop you and ask you to take a picture.

I tried to find some info on if they're at the hotels - to no avail, but I don't think they are. I know there's a photog usually near the globe and even possibly the IOA entrance.

Here's an interesting and updated link about photo connect that showed how many pictures and where they got them taken.

Reactions: Coasted
Thanks. That's quite useful. In the email after purchase, they just say to "ask any Universal Photographer". I guess they keep changing where you can get the Star Card, so this is easier than changing the automatically generated email all the time.

It's really easy to purchase online ahead of time. But be aware that the universalorlando.com site has incomplete information. It's better to go directly to universalphotoconnect .com (thanks, Unofficial Guides!). Specifically, I wanted the 14-day option, and only 1- and 3-day options were available on the universalorlando.com site.

There were photographers at the Portofino pools in May. But, I'm not sure they were tied in with photo connect. They did wear identifying clothing and had those long telescope like cameras.

Reactions: KingStefan
Self serve star card kiosk to load your ride pictures yourself are also a thing. Found a picture of one, this is in MIB.
F7UjfFC.jpg