The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's a shame that they won't instead convert to light rail transportation between the resorts and the parks. I realize that it would be difficult to lay out the track lines and stations initially but the trains would/should be more reliable with scheduled stops. Heck, they could go green and use solar energy to power the trains for that matter.

As I've said before, it's easy to say this when I'm 900 miles away. It may not be possible but it seems like something they could consider. I'm talking all resorts and parks (with the exception of the water parks and maybe Disney Springs). Maybe there isn't a future for monorails but light rail is a great alternative.
Light rail and monorail aren't really very different at all.

Reactions: SkiBum
I thought that the cost of rail lines would be significantly less since they would not need to be elevated.
I think while the basic cost/mile of track is definitely less than the raised monorail beam, the issue would be more along the lines of crossing roadways at grade which requires a fair amount of $$ to install and maintain barriers and signals as well as the impact to the roadways they are passing through.

I thought that the cost of rail lines would be significantly less since they would not need to be elevated.
Yeah technically monorail is a form of light rail. Monorail is less expensive when elevated. Traditional rail has an advantage when sharing roadways. I think the last thing Disney wants though is to deal with the press from train/vehicle collisions so I don't see that being a good option.

The monorails didn't break down when I went. The only problem was that my sister, @freshliciousflower, got stuck for "further traffic clearance" for a few minutes, and that an operator told us the EPCOT monorail was the Magic Kingdom one.
Does anyone know if the "further traffic clearance" line was added after that monorail crash in 2009, or has it always been there.

The monorails didn't break down when I went. The only problem was that my sister, @freshliciousflower, got stuck for "further traffic clearance" for a few minutes, and that an operator told us the EPCOT monorail was the Magic Kingdom one.
Does anyone know if the "further traffic clearance" line was added after that monorail crash in 2009, or has it always been there.
After the crash, they started taking more precautions, so when there are two monorails, they would stop one, and let the other pass so that the tracks would be completely clear.

They've always held for clearance from day one back in the 70's. The only real difference is they added a pre-recorded spiel rather than pilots saying it over the PA. Whether a train has to hold or not depends on a few factors, number of trains on the line and effecincy of the pilots and station staff and more recently the automation system.
After the crash, they started taking more precautions, so when there are two monorails, they would stop one, and let the other pass so that the tracks would be completely clear.
This is completely false.

They've always held for clearance from day one back in the 70's. The only real difference is they added a pre-recorded spiel rather than pilots saying it over the PA. Whether a train has to hold or not depends on a few factors, number of trains on the line and effecincy of the pilots and station staff and more recently the automation system.

This is completely false.
Oh i read it awhile ago somewhere, I'm sorry.

im thinking that they would use the new gondola system to replace the monorails.From what ive been hearing Disney isn't too happy about the insane price just to keep the monorails running.

Disney Transportation is run by people with backgrounds running fleets of buses for cities. They see no future for the monorails and would get rid of them if they could.

Whilst I agree that the current state of the monorail is poor I cannot see them getting rid, ever.

They are iconic, they help sell the Bay lake resorts, people love them and above all they shift a lot of people. They also give great energy to the the area, I love watching from them from the top of the world.

Sure they're not the in the best condition and they have had many problems in recent times and yes Disney, begrudgingly, at some point are going to have to invest heavily in them to keep them running. I can see supplementary transport to help spread the load but I'm pretty sure the monorail is here to stay.

Por favor, manténgase alejado de las puertas

Reactions: Mad Dog
Monorail Silver last night: front car completely closed off (still testing automation?). Fourth car had a bench rendered unusable because condensation from the no-longer-functional a/c had soaked it. Crawled slowly into every station (again, automation?)

These things feel like they're held together with duct tape and chewing gum. I don't see how they last until the gondolas are built.

Monorail Silver last night: front car completely closed off (still testing automation?). Fourth car had a bench rendered unusable because condensation from the no-longer-functional a/c had soaked it. Crawled slowly into every station (again, automation?)

These things feel like they're held together with duct tape and chewing gum. I don't see how they last until the gondolas are built.
We have about 2 years until the Gondolas are on line, but what do the Gondolas even have to do with the Monorails? They are going completely separate places.

Reactions: JoeCamel

They've completely switched to automation so I would certainly hope they're not still testing it.

We have about 2 years until the Gondolas are on line, but what do the Gondolas even have to do with the Monorails? They are going completely separate places.

Just in a sense of once they are up and running, do they then look and say, "hey, this might be a viable alternative." Replacement monorails or a replacement system seems inevitable now, and sooner rather than later.

I think HM will last to the last days of the MK, but yes someday everything will close. I've always kind of been fascinated with imagining how WDW will eventually come to an end. Will they sell off parks and hold on as long as they can or just one day shut it all down. It's probably one of the largest "geographically" businesses in the world so how it eventually goes out will be very interesting to watch.

Personally if they want to go cheap on Monorail's I think the way to go is to build a parking garage between MK and GF. Then close the monorails for about a year and do a complete rebuild and refurbishment. Eliminate the TTC entirely and convert it to a new hotel site. Connect the Epcot and Express lines so that they go directly between MK and Epcot. Then the monorail becomes a nice but not necessary mode of transportation to the Resorts and between MK and Epcot.