The end of the Islands | Inside Universal Forums

The end of the Islands

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2013
One thing I loved about the original design of the park is how every Island was connected by a bridge over a body of water (except between MSHI and TL... grr...). Before the days of Google Earth, if you didn't know what the park actually looked like from above, your mind could fill in the details --- leading you to believe each Island is actually surrounded by water. The original artwork for the park even had long suspension bridges connecting each island.

The thing that sucks about the addition of HP (the only thing that sucks) is that we are venturing farther and farther away from the "Islands" concept. It's just a land (er, "World") thats plopped down between JP and LC. It's not even surrounded by water on both sides. So now JP is no longer an Island, and neither is LC.

I'm sure nobody cares about this kinda thing but the people on this board, but, a little bit of me cries inside for a split second when things like this happen.

Do you even consider HP to be a 6th "Island" in your mind? Does this bother you?

Before I went to IOA, for the first time, I visualized the various Islands to be more seperated by water than they were. So there was a little letdown when I saw such a small seperation. But that only lasted for a few hours once I experienced how beautiful and immersive the park was. So the Potter thing really doesn't bother me since I didn't really notice all that much seperation originally.

They could always rename the park "Worlds of Adventure" and that, in my opinion, sounds just as good as Islands of Adventure.

Sounds good to me. They could do something different, as so many people confuse Islands of Adventure and Adventure Island.

Misnomer. Marvel has never connected to Toon over a bridge spanning water. Not over anything at all. Toon doesn't connect to JP over lagoon water at all... just a ride. "Islands" is an ideal, a story. It has never been definitive or literal. If you are a purist... eat cake.

I think Six Flags might have something to say about Universal changing IOA's name to "Worlds of Adventure." They did used to have a park called "Six Flags Worlds of Adventure" for a short period of time in Cleveland. I suspect there might be some trademark issues involved in such a name change.

I agree with the above statement: IOA Forever! Besides, you could say that HP/LC share an "island." It's a theme park, for Pete's sake...have fun and try not to get too bummed out by some of the lesser details! :smiley:

Never gonna happen. Islands of Adventure at this point is an iconic name for the park. Nitpicking how there technically aren't bridges between a few of the lands shouldn't lessen one's enjoyment of the park. The fact of the matter is that there is a great big lagoon in the center surrounded by separately themed "islands", in that each is its own complete area themed to a single IP/idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.