SDMT Fire | Inside Universal Forums

SDMT Fire

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
[video=youtube;oIaG3sLhfqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIaG3sLhfqY[/video]

This previously happened with Little Mermaid as well. Both seem to be caused by Wishes. Hope no one was hurt.

Apparently damage is pretty severe... wouldn't be surprised to see this thing shut down for awhile. http://instagram.com/p/u4X6tHg3WL/

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they construct this attraction with more fire retardant materials knowing that the fireworks show takes place in the vicinity?

They made the today show this morning. Honestly I'm really surprised they've been having problems with rides catching fire.

That looks like all the fake grass caught on fire to me. The ride was back open by 12:30 AM.
It was the grass.

What worries me is their protocols about shutting down areas that area potentially prone to fire work fallout. They currently shut down behind the castle and wet the ground, but all of New Fantasyland stays open. The grass at both Mermaid and SDMT have caught on fire because off fallout now. And since SDMT is completely surrounded by guest walkways, if the fallout can reach SDMT, it can fall on a guest.

I seriously think they need to think about shutting at least parts of that area down during Wishes. At least on windy nights like last night.

It was the grass.

What worries me is their protocols about shutting down areas that area potentially prone to fire work fallout. They currently shut down behind the castle and wet the ground, but all of New Fantasyland stays open. The grass at both Mermaid and SDMT have caught on fire because off fallout now. And since SDMT is completely surrounded by guest walkways, if the fallout can reach SDMT, it can fall on a guest.

I seriously think they need to think about shutting at least parts of that area down during Wishes. At least on windy nights like last night.

So that means they'd stop running the ride at a certain time and re-open later? Nightmare for wait times.

So that means they'd stop running the ride at a certain time and re-open later? Nightmare for wait times.
They have to close TSMM early every night that they do a fireworks show at Studios because of fallout (and it doesn't reopen). I'm sure the park could survive a half hour or so without the ride open.

They do wet the grass. Last night was a special night though because it was not only very windy but it was very dry out so it was probably a mixture of those things that allowed it to happen.

They have to close TSMM early every night that they do a fireworks show at Studios because of fallout (and it doesn't reopen). I'm sure the park could survive a half hour or so without the ride open.

I didn't even know that. I'm guessing that was just for the Frozen Fireworks?

I didn't even know that. I'm guessing that was just for the Frozen Fireworks?
No, it's for every fireworks show they do there. New Years Eve, July 4th, Star Wars Weekend fireworks and of course the Frozen fireworks.

Interestingly, a big reason i've been hearing the hat is coming down is so they can add a nightly fireworks show to keep people in the park during all of the construction, which would mean TSMM closing early every night.

I bet as soon as Disney can launch the drones in the sky spectacle the fireworks in the parks will be a thing of the past due to costs and little things like fires.

I bet as soon as Disney can launch the drones in the sky spectacle the fireworks in the parks will be a thing of the past due to costs and little things like fires.
Quite the opposite. As I said above, Disney is looking to add a full-time fireworks show to DHS starting next year to keep people in the park later while the construction is ongoing.

Quite the opposite. As I said above, Disney is looking to add a full-time fireworks show to DHS starting next year to keep people in the park later while the construction is ongoing.
Doesn't mean they'll still be there in 5 to 6 years..I for one have heard that Disney was considering a multimedia only show a while ago