Future of Stage Shows (USH) | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Stage Shows (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 10, 2021
RVA
With AA and SES now gone for the Fast and Furious coaster, USH has no more stage shows. But with massive expansion plans in the pipeline that will likely involve demoing much of the lower lot soundstages beyond the ones marked for the DK expansion to SNW, this could lead to opportunities for stage shows to come back. But how should USH handle future stage shows? Should they do them as part of the hypothetical mini lands that could come with further lower lot expansion for example a monsters mini land that takes over the Mummy plot with either a multipurpose building that contains that stacked dark ride system and a theater for a Monsters stage show (could be either the cancelled show from EU revived or a different concept entirely) or the ride and theater buildings being separate. Or if the lower lot expansion includes a production central area that breaks off into the mini lands should there be just one large scale theater maybe on par with the Hyperion or the Magic Kingdom theater that never came to be? If they go that route they have a blank slate for theater shows that they can change out over time. Or do they go with both options I laid out?

I mentioned this in the State of USH thread (I think?) but they should convert the Hello Kitty store at the entrance into a small stage theater for an equivalent to the Monsters Make Up show at USF. Something like that is much needed at USH. Just the structure alone where that big gift shop is with Hello Kitty is big enough to hold a small lobby and a small 100-ish seat theater more or less the size of USF's show.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I'm very much down to use the Hello Kitty/dreamworks store as a new show venue.

I think if the rumors of the new Plaza theater is true then that will help out a lot, however do wish they would expand its size. I feel like many of the small restaurants outside of the Plaza could be demoned and put somewhere else or one or two come back but redone to be even smaller so that the Plaza can grow.

I'll put this to bed: Hello Kitty/Animation Store is not becoming a show venue. Too much of that space is used for essential BOH offices, and they just built it a few years ago. It's not going anywhere.

Reactions: Rideguy70
I'll put this to bed: Hello Kitty/Animation Store is not becoming a show venue. Too much of that space is used for essential BOH offices, and they just built it a few years ago. It's not going anywhere.
Well, big RIP. You gotta give me credit for trying to be creative with the space though. :lol:

Still would like to see some variation of the Monster Make Up show make its way over here.

Reactions: Jamesh22
Well, big RIP. You gotta give me credit for trying to be creative with the space though. :lol:

Still would like to see some variation of the Monster Make Up show make its way over here.

This I 100% agree with, and I've tried to brainstorm where they could fit it. I've unfortunately yet to come up with a solution.

I also agree with the broader point that USH needs to seriously consider how to reincorporate stage shows. It's important to its history and DNA as well as operational needs and guest satisfaction.

This I 100% agree with, and I've tried to brainstorm where they could fit it. I've unfortunately yet to come up with a solution.

I also agree with the broader point that USH needs to seriously consider how to reincorporate stage shows. It's important to its history and DNA as well as operational needs and guest satisfaction.
If the soundstages next to Mummy get razed for lower lot expansion and gets turned into a production central esq area, somewhere on that plot of land they could put a theater maybe on par with the Hyperion at DCA. Give it an art deco theme and it can hold just about any production they please.

Reactions: Jamesh22
It does seem the only place for a new show would be lower lot.

I sure wish Universal would reclaim the "Dreamworks" theater for a big live show.

Thinning out further--but what about the section in-between Hippogriff, Waterworld, DWT and AS? To be more specific: Take 5, the Waterworld Restrooms, and the building directly next to Waterworld Restrooms.

Would be a tight squeeze but for a small show that comes to some form of mind.

I'm very much down to use the Hello Kitty/dreamworks store as a new show venue.

I think if the rumors of the new Plaza theater is true then that will help out a lot, however do wish they would expand its size. I feel like many of the small restaurants outside of the Plaza could be demoned and put somewhere else or one or two come back but redone to be even smaller so that the Plaza can grow.
From what I heard, they are renovating plaza but for more “seasonal “ event stuff. I don’t think a permanent stage or structure will be built.

• Sad
Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
From what I heard, they are renovating plaza but for more “seasonal “ event stuff. I don’t think a permanent stage or structure will be built.
Ohhh dam then really have no clue what the plan is. Guess shows for the short term are pretty much dead

really wish one of the stores could become a theater or update the dream works theater…a lot more

Interesting. I had heard otherwise. HHN is gonna be screwed if they can't put a show somewhere

And yeah, USH only having WaterWorld is certainly... a choice. Hopefully they can stick something somewhere soon (wonder when they'll finally acquire those soundstages from the studio?)

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but on the USH park map (online and mobile app) the area in between French Street and Phineas Q. Butterfat’s Ice Cream is currently only inhabited by a handful of trees. The buildings for AA and stunt show are not shown. Given they could have simply removed the show designation from those buildings, but instead removed them entirely seems like a good indication that changes are coming in the not-too-distant future.

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but on the USH park map (online and mobile app) the area in between French Street and Phineas Q. Butterfat’s Ice Cream is currently only inhabited by a handful of trees. The buildings for AA and stunt show are not shown. Given they could have simply removed the show designation from those buildings, but instead removed them entirely seems like a good indication that changes are coming in the not-too-distant future.

They took out the stages when they redid the map on SNW opening day. They stuck around without designation for a little while after opening