DreamWorks Land (General Discussion) - Opening June 14, 2024 | Page 67 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land (General Discussion) - Opening June 14, 2024

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just looked. He definitely walked to the stage... haha

Mickey and Friends (and Barney) work because they have these wide, protruding mouths and most importantly, are less anthropomorphic than Shrek and the Trolls - who feature more human-like jaws/mouths. It wouldn't be as convincing.

*eyeroll* Casper, I mean the Shrek cottage isn't the character, the swamp is. There is nothing special about the cottage outside of the place that Shrek & fam slept. All the fantasy was on the *outside*.

Isn’t the cottage where Donkeys and Shreks whole relationship begins? (“Waffles”) The swamp really isn’t in the film that much either and isn’t particularly distinct when it is - the adventure takes place in Farquads kingdom, the Dragons castle, etc. If the swamp at Uni felt like an immersive version of the film swamp, that would be one thing - but it doesn’t.

More importantly, what a theme park setting does in the original IP is a LOT less important then whether or not it’s immersive and engrossing at the theme park. I doubt most folks who love B&B care about Maurice’s shop, but the version at the Belle M&G is memorable and cool. Shrek’s cottage could very easily be similarly impressive. Having the only fully themed building in the middle of a large new area not be enterable sticks out, even to non-fans.

I don’t think we’re being particularly nitpick-y either - I think if you make a fair comparison between this new land and other children’s areas at Uni - Camp Jurassic, portions of Seuss - the difference is pretty stark. And kids will notice.

Reactions: UNIrd
Isn’t the cottage where Donkeys and Shreks whole relationship begins? (“Waffles”) The swamp really isn’t in the film that much either and isn’t particularly distinct when it is - the adventure takes place in Farquads kingdom, the Dragons castle, etc. If the swamp at Uni felt like an immersive version of the film swamp, that would be one thing - but it doesn’t.

More importantly, what a theme park setting does in the original IP is a LOT less important then whether or not it’s immersive and engrossing at the theme park. I doubt most folks who love B&B care about Maurice’s shop, but the version at the Belle M&G is memorable and cool. Shrek’s cottage could very easily be similarly impressive. Having the only fully themed building in the middle of a large new area not be enterable sticks out, even to non-fans.

This is like the fan equivalent of mansplaining.

FANSPLAINING! TM
We're comparing a Swamp/Cottage to a magic, enchanted castle. They are not the same. I would expect to WANT to go into a magic castle. I do not want to go into a small shack.
I don’t think we’re being particularly nitpick-y either - I think if you make a fair comparison between this new land and other children’s areas at Uni - Camp Jurassic, portions of Seuss - the difference is pretty stark. And kids will notice.

No one has compared it to the other playgrounds. We've all been pretty honest about what works and what doesn't in the land. As far as kids noticing - we took my toddler to Volcano Bay; and in a world full of water, volcanoes, slides and fountains - he enjoyed dragging the leaf along the water the most. Kids don't give a crap.** No kids, right? Haven't been yet? Then probably should just sit this one out.

**Disclaimer - no this does not mean it's open season for Universal to just do the bare minimum.

Reactions: Suchomimus
This is like the fan equivalent of mansplaining.

FANSPLAINING! TM
We're comparing a Swamp/Cottage to a magic, enchanted castle. They are not the same. I would expect to WANT to go into a magic castle. I do not want to go into a small shack.

No one has compared it to the other playgrounds. We've all been pretty honest about what works and what doesn't in the land. As far as kids noticing - we took my toddler to Volcano Bay; and in a world full of water, volcanoes, slides and fountains - he enjoyed dragging the leaf along the water the most. Kids don't give a crap.** No kids, right? Haven't been yet? Then probably should just sit this one out.

**Disclaimer - no this does not mean it's open season for Universal to just do the bare minimum.
If no one wants anything to do with Shrek’s shack, it’s a lousy setting for a M&G and a real waste of resources for Uni to build it. Should have built Farquad’s Kingdom.

One of my favorite toys as a child was an old trenchcoat. I played with it over and over for years. I was not under any illusion that the coat was a superior experience to World of Motion. One made a lifelong impression on me, one didn’t. I’m not a trenchcoat manufacturer today. Kids can be discerning, even between things they love. It’s odd how the “kid champions” on this board often seem to use that stance to defend underwhelming entertainment for kids.

I’ll kindly ask you to set aside the “people without kids shouldn’t comment” nonsense. We’re exchanging opinions - bringing in personal details to try and diminish the validity of someone’s opinion is out of line. It would be just as objectionable if someone did it to you.

Sometimes we need take off the nostalgia goggles and realize what’s right in front of us.

As much some stuff seemed like a really nice thing to have in let’s say the 90s it comes off as a very outdated today.

Not saying they didn’t cut corners in this project however whatever budget they were given the most was made out of it.

If no one wants anything to do with Shrek’s shack, it’s a lousy setting for a M&G and a real waste of resources for Uni to build it. Should have built Farquad’s Kingdom.

One of my favorite toys as a child was an old trenchcoat. I played with it over and over for years. I was not under any illusion that the coat was a superior experience to World of Motion. One made a lifelong impression on me, one didn’t. I’m not a trenchcoat manufacturer today. Kids can be discerning, even between things they love. It’s odd how the “kid champions” on this board often seem to use that stance to defend underwhelming entertainment for kids.

I’ll kindly ask you to set aside the “people without kids shouldn’t comment” nonsense. We’re exchanging opinions - bringing in personal details to try and diminish the validity of someone’s opinion is out of line. It would be just as objectionable if someone did it to you.

Absolutely not. That's one hill I will die on. It's one thing to acknowledge its faults. It's another when we start nitpicking things - especially when it's from someone who hasn't been... going off about the one thing that everyone universally seems to be very high on; all because it's not Farquaad's Castle or we can't go inside it.

Reactions: Suchomimus
As much some stuff seemed like a really nice thing to have in let’s say the 90s it comes off as a very outdated today.
A real set is not "outdated," just as industrial walls with many visible electrical fixtures is not "modern."

Does it reflect the work of the entire land? No, because as I alluded to, I think the exterior work in the Shrek area looks very good. But I think we should all be able to call a spade a spade and say that the wall in question looks super low-rent. It's not something that should be visible to a paying guest.

Reactions: Jake S