Disney needs to give Google Maps a call | Inside Universal Forums

Disney needs to give Google Maps a call

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 31, 2009
This afternoon I put "Epcot" into my Android phone GPS for directions, and it gave me 1320 Avenue of the Stars, which is the cast member entrance! Yeah I know they have signs directing you to Epcot, but I was curious to try the Google Maps route. I can't imagine how many tourists in their rental cars end up at the cast member entrance and are like wtf is this???

How can such a mistake for such a hugely popular destination not get noticed/fixed by now??

Yeah...unfortunately their "stated" stance (though I don't think you'll find it on any of their websites, its just what they tell anyone who asks) is to not use your GPS, just follow the signs once you reach the area. Results like Google Maps are more of a result of regular searches and user inputs related to those searches as well as things like public mailing addresses. The main toll plazas don't really have public mailing addresses, so that is a big issue right off the bat.

This is not isolated to Disney either. Uni and Sea World often have the same issue.

Correct. Because their published mailing addresses are back of house entrances. So when Google pulls their address that is the one it pulls.

^^^ Yep and most people realize this and just follow the signs once they get close. Or at least that is what I do when looking for things like this.