3/10 - Univerisal- 1 day both parks, need a game plan! | Inside Universal Forums

3/10 - Univerisal- 1 day both parks, need a game plan!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 11, 2013
I'm visiting a buddy in Tampa in a month and we are heading to Universal on March 10th. I've been to Universal like 4 times, but always for multiple days, so I need help formulating a game plan to see as much as possible for my one day in both parks. Where whould we start, what will the crowds be like, what should we wait for until late, etc? Harry Potter, Transformers, Despicable Me and Springfield for food are must do's as they were not there when I went last. Thank you!

I would say stay on site so you have early entrance to all of Harry Potter and included express passes. Knock out FJ early and then the rest of IOA, then finish up at USF. If you've been a few times before, I think you could probably get through everything without too much of a worry unless you are including all the shows.

Change of plans:

I officially found out today that I have mono. I've probably have had it for 2-3 weeks now, so the serve contagiousness of it should be gone by now (yes I know that I would always be contagious). Orginally we were going to do a day at both the Universal Parks, but now we are considering the Magic Kingdom because their would be more options for someone who probably can't do a ton of thrill rides.

Three questions:

1. Do you agree with my assumption that it would be best to go to the Magic Kingdom over Universal, now that I have mono?

2. What is the process in which one can rent a wheel chair at Universal? I don't know if I would need it, but I'd like to know if I could get one if the day were to be to tiresome.

3. If we do go to Universal, what rides do you think I could do and what ones should I avoid? I've been to the park many times and I have my own list in my head, but I'd love to get others opinions.

Thanks

Change of plans:

I officially found out today that I have mono. I've probably have had it for 2-3 weeks now, so the serve contagiousness of it should be gone by now (yes I know that I would always be contagious). Orginally we were going to do a day at both the Universal Parks, but now we are considering the Magic Kingdom because their would be more options for someone who probably can't do a ton of thrill rides.

Three questions:

1. Do you agree with my assumption that it would be best to go to the Magic Kingdom over Universal, now that I have mono?

2. What is the process in which one can rent a wheel chair at Universal? I don't know if I would need it, but I'd like to know if I could get one if the day were to be to tiresome.

3. If we do go to Universal, what rides do you think I could do and what ones should I avoid? I've been to the park many times and I have my own list in my head, but I'd love to get others opinions.

Thanks

Still go to Uni, and get express passes. Its spring break here in FL. expect 60+ minutes waited

as for number 2, Its $12 to rent a wheelchair, plus a $50 deposit. You can get them at the front of each park and then bring it back to the parking hub if necessary.

Still go to Uni, and get express passes. Its spring break here in FL. expect 60+ minutes waited

When you have mono, your spleen swells up meaning that rough activities can cause it to rupture...thats why the question about Magic Kingdom vs Universal was presented (Im assuming, correct me if Im wrong OP :thumbs:)...so just saying go to Universal and prepare for long waits on FJ is completely unhelpful because that is a ride the OP will probably choose to avoid.

That being said...

I had (have) mono, and was diagnosed on the weekend of my Grad Nite at Disneyland...it was a huge bummer but I was so determined to go that I powered through it. I went on the thrill rides (Indy wasnt around yet, but the roller coasters were) and had no problems. Granted, I probably should not have done these things but I was ok. It really all depends on YOU, how YOURE feeling, and what your doctor says, because everyones experience with mono is different. Magic Kingdom has a ton of rides that wont put any pressure on you; the highlights (Fantasyland, POTC, HM, etc) are slow and dont have restraints that jab into your affected area. However, things like FJ, Hulk, Dragons, etc are not only forceful but have restraints that will push down on your spleen and potentially cause pain. Rougher rides will also cause some discomfort (I got off the Matterhorn with a noticeable ache, but kept going because I was stupid :lol:). I would never advise someone to risk it because mono can be very dangerous HOWEVER depending on how youre feeling and how youve dealt with it, thrill rides may not be an issue for you.

Another thing to consider is that you will be tired for your trip. Mono wears you out bad, and Magic Kingdom is a much slower-pace park. To conquer all of Universal and IOA, while very possible, is kinda hard to get done without taking rest breaks that you will undoubtedly want to have. Keep this in mind.

The good news is, no matter what you choose to do, both are incredible theme parks, thrill rides or not But its your body, you have to decide whats best. Just be safe, and have a great time! :cheers:

Last edited: