USJ to Build 2nd Park in Okinawa | Inside Universal Forums

USJ to Build 2nd Park in Okinawa

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This sounds intriguing. I wonder what the park will be themed to. Maybe a USJ version of DisneySea?

Well, it's not necessarily going to be in Japan. If the Japanese spot is chosen, who knows what it ends up as, though I doubt they'd try to copy TDS.

If it ends up at one of the other locations, I'd say it's safe to say it'll be Universal Studios ______.

Well, it's not necessarily going to be in Japan. If the Japanese spot is chosen, who knows what it ends up as, though I doubt they'd try to copy TDS.

If it ends up at one of the other locations, I'd say it's safe to say it'll be Universal Studios ______.

Out of the abroad locations, I think Mumbai is the most interesting. It would be a different country for Universal to reach, and India could use a great theme park (though they did open Adlabs Imagica in 2013).

I saw a different article on that a week or so ago. It bandied about a $250 million capital figure. If true, that would probably be more like a 6 Flags level park.

USJ Head, Okinawa Governor Agree to Cooperate in Opening New Theme Park

The chief executive officer of the operator of Universal Studios Japan in Osaka and Okinawa Gov. Takeshi Onaga agreed Friday to cooperate in USJ's plan to open a new theme park in Okinawa Prefecture, USJ officials said.

USJ Co. Chairman and CEO Glenn Gumpel and the governor reached the agreement in their closed-door meeting held at the Okinawa prefectural government office in Naha.

After the meeting, Gumpel told reporters that USJ needs the local government's support for improving transportation infrastructure to open the new theme park.

Tsuyoshi Morioka, a USJ executive who was at the meeting, also said USJ has obtained "in-depth understanding" from the governor.

Morioka said USJ hopes to open the new theme park by the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, while saying USJ has yet to make a final decision on where it will be built.

The state-run Ocean Expo Park in the town of Motobu, northern Okinawa, is seen as among potential locations for the new theme park.

Okinawa hopes the new theme park will help boost the number of visitors to the southern Japanese island prefecture, seeing tourism as a key factor in promoting the local economy.

It had a record 7.17 million visitors from elsewhere in Japan and abroad last fiscal year against the backdrop of a rise in foreign tourists amid the yen's depreciation and an increase in flights at the airport in Okinawa.

The prefectural government has a target of realizing 10 million visitors in fiscal 2021.

The U.S. movie theme park in Osaka, meanwhile, saw a record 12.7 million visitors in fiscal 2014 as its "Harry Potter" area that opened last July and anime-inspired events were particularly popular.

Some interesting details. They want to open it by the 2020 Olympics which isn't surprising. Japanese construction is FAST. They can have a building up in a week or less because they get paid by the project and not by the day. I would drive to work and realize there was a huge building standing brand new I didn't even know they were building. :lol:

SonicWALL - Blocked by GeoIP Filter.

Well, looking at the Ocean Expo Park; you take some of the surrounding areas and that aquarium itself. Theres good space for a good sized park. Given the circumstances.

I'm glad about this also, as its getting more going. Its also making me wonder what UC will be doing this time.

IMO, there's no way they'd take that aquarium out, it's a huge draw for the island. I'm actually pretty shocked they're thinking about taking the rest of Ocean Expo Park, but that is what it is. Perhaps they could include the aquarium in the park if they do go for it.

USJ cancels planned theme park in Okinawa | The Japan Times

Encase if anyone wants an update, its officially canceled and that Comcast will be focusing more on investing for Osaka now.

I saw this coming after Comcast got control of Universal Japan... I'm also willing to bet Beijing and the new land purchase in Orlando factored into it. I couldn't see them building three new parks worldwide so close to one another.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
That sounds like a better bet, especially if they have room in Osaka to expand?

If you mean by closing older attractions; probably.

It would help solidify why the hell they are closing both Backdraft AND BTTF at possibly similar times, so they can get striking twice on something they had success with.