Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 99 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Family friendly has its place but it would be nice to have something that is aimed at adults and well themed and as you said terrifying.

Family friendly has its place but it would be nice to have something that is aimed at adults and well themed and as you said terrifying.

Thanks to Pandora and how great reviews Flight of Passage was getting, it got me thinking about previous Disney attractions such as the reimagined 20,000 leagues where they had the sub getting attacked and Eisner pull the plug saying it was too terrifying and way too intense . Universal main banner films are intense. Outside of Illumination/Dreamworks, they all deserve attractions that could potentially be next gen (Gyrosphere using Musion mixed with practicals and suprise effects, Fast and Furious ride like the films). But I think the somewhat family friendly aspect really limits them and does a disservice to us.

ICFC8mo.jpg

From Peter Jackson Concept art for Universal's next franchise series....this could be amazing for the park.

Reactions: awhen
ICFC8mo.jpg

From Peter Jackson Concept art for Universal's next franchise series....this could be amazing for the park.
I don't know the books but I read they are quite popular and it starts with a 15 year old kid and an old guy being thrown of a city. Reviews make it clear it has hart so under the awesome steampunk visuals there could be a human story in there. I hope it's a good movie cause I love steampunk and would love to see it in the parks.

I hope Valerian will be an awesome movie. It's source material (French comics from 1938) is amazing. George Lucas and it's team "borrowed" a ton from these comics.
If Universal is smart they already picked up the theme park rights so they can compete with Star Wars land.

What are the thoughts on this park going queue-less similar to Fallon, F&F and Volcano Bay?

Obviously for Volcano Bay, the concept kind of works since you can waste your time in the wave pool or lazy river but in a theme park not so much.

What are the thoughts on this park going queue-less similar to Fallon, F&F and Volcano Bay?

Obviously for Volcano Bay, the concept kind of works since you can waste your time in the wave pool or lazy river but in a theme park not so much.
If it happens, which I doubt, Universal needs to get a lot more creative with their queueless spaces. I don't want to have a bunch of Fallon clones, where I walk through a museum and then do a meet + greet. The queueless idea opens up a bunch of intimate experiences that normal queues can't touch.

I'm not convinced that an entire park, or even an entire park, can go queueless logistically. Maybe Volcano Bay can change my mind.

I'm not sold on virtual line queue less for an entire theme park at all. I think it would ruin the experience of spontaneity in a theme park. Two or three rides maybe, but anything more sounds like it would take the fun out of a park.

I hope Valerian will be an awesome movie. It's source material (French comics from 1938) is amazing. George Lucas and it's team "borrowed" a ton from these comics.
If Universal is smart they already picked up the theme park rights so they can compete with Star Wars land.

If they make the attractions out of Valyrian steel it will undoubtedly be a success.

Reactions: Joel
Good explanation why you think it fales... ;)

I rarely post on here, but I've posted on box office forums and have been looking at daily box office and tracking everyday for 10 years. Plus I work in industry.

First off it has a bad release date. Same date as Chris Nolan Dunkirk. So it won't have IMAX or premium screens. The week before is Planet of the Apes, the week before is Spider-man. The week after is Atomic Blonde.

Keep in mind STX a new company (not a big 6 or a mini major) has not disturbed a movie that cost over 30 ish million . They have NEVER marketed blockbuster movie.

It has no big stars. No property, Good actors maybe but nobody to bring attention to it or get the GA's eyes.

The marketing hasn't had a hook. The average movie goer sees 4 movies a year. Why should we see this over all the above, keep in mind we already had Guardians this summer which is similar in color but has Pratt, a sequel, light hearted comedy tone. Guardians , Alien, transformers all took place in space this summer already.

Its not tracking well, it has terrible awareness
its twitter interactions are the lowest of the big summer movies.
its cost 190 million dollars

I hope the movies good, but Id bet my life this movie does beyond poor in north america, its a good bet.

The film community thinks its going to be DOA in terms of domestic box office. You never KNOW it could break out, but that would pretty much require Dunkirk and Apes to fail and be bad.

I rarely post on here, but I've posted on box office forums and have been looking at daily box office and tracking everyday for 10 years. Plus I work in industry.

First off it has a bad release date. Same date as Chris Nolan Dunkirk. So it won't have IMAX or premium screens. The week before is Planet of the Apes, the week before is Spider-man. The week after is Atomic Blonde.

Keep in mind STX a new company (not a big 6 or a mini major) has not disturbed a movie that cost over 30 ish million . They have NEVER marketed blockbuster movie.

It has no big stars. No property, Good actors maybe but nobody to bring attention to it or get the GA's eyes.

The marketing hasn't had a hook. The average movie goer sees 4 movies a year. Why should we see this over all the above, keep in mind we already had Guardians this summer which is similar in color but has Pratt, a sequel, light hearted comedy tone. Guardians , Alien, transformers all took place in space this summer already.

Its not tracking well, it has terrible awareness
its twitter interactions are the lowest of the big summer movies.
its cost 190 million dollars

I hope the movies good, but Id bet my life this movie does beyond poor in north america, its a good bet.

The film community thinks its going to be DOA in terms of domestic box office. You never KNOW it could break out, but that would pretty much require Dunkirk and Apes to fail and be bad.
great insight! you should post more often :clap:

I haven't read much of this thread so I don't know if something like this has already been mentioned, but how about a park about animals (including imaginary ones), plants (including imaginary ones), 'nature'/'wilderness', care for the environment, and maybe ecosystems/biomes (including imaginary ones). This would probably seem similar to Animal Kingdom in some ways. Some interesting things that could be featured there are attractions having to do with the Fantastic Beasts series, Zelda games (possibly Breath of the Wild specifically), Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Jurassic Park, and maybe even Skull Island and Godzilla.

These ideas might be especially pertinent for the park if it's built partially or totally on land that was previously used by Lockheed and that they and Universal apparently cleaned up in the past to make it more suitable to have a theme park constructed on it. There could even be a place at the park discussing this. It would probably be a bad idea for Universal to stuff at the park that says that of big companies like Lockheed do bad things and pollute the environment. This would probably seem kind of hypocritical given some of what Universal does for its businesses, especially its other parks. It's not like those are nature preserves or anything. Plus, Lockheed will probably still be nearby the park if it got built.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on virtual line queue less for an entire theme park at all. I think it would ruin the experience of spontaneity in a theme park. Two or three rides maybe, but anything more sounds like it would take the fun out of a park.

I'm betting on regular queues and Express Pass for onsite guests.

I'm betting on regular queues and Express Pass for onsite guests.
Gotta love Express. The first time we rode Fallon, we had to do the virtual line since we were at Sapphire for the first few days. I said no more of that planning in the park b.s., I hate WDW for FP+ planning too, so we didn't go back on it until we moved to Portofino. Then we did it a bunch of times with Express.....I'm a spontaneous enjoying vacation person. :)

Reactions: Cheezbat
I haven't read much of this thread so I don't know if something like this has already been mentioned, but how about a park about animals (including imaginary ones), plants (including imaginary ones), 'nature'/'wilderness', care for the environment, and maybe ecosystems/biomes (including imaginary ones). This would probably seem similar to Animal Kingdom in some ways. Some interesting things that could be featured there are attractions having to do with the Fantastic Beasts series, Zelda games (possibly Breath of the Wild specifically), Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Jurassic Park, and maybe even Skull Island and Godzilla.

There is a reason that SeaWorld is receiving declining attendance. And the only reason I see DAK surviving is that it's Disney.

I can't see Universal open that can of worms.

What I think is far more likely, is a high emphasis on fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.