The Future of PortAventura | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of PortAventura

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!

Been going about in the gambit throughout a few groups; but speculation and theorizing due to recent activities are suggesting that NBCUniversal may be as mentioned in the article above: looking to potentially get back Port Aventura, restoring it in turn to Universal Mediterranea. Also interesting to note, but NBCUniversal has filed a brand new trademark called "HOLLYWOODLAND UNIVERSAL STUDIOS" back in April.

1669558271278.png

Interestingly enough, that trademark has been used by NBCUniversal prior: for the specific purpose of unbuilt Universal parks in Europe. Germany and France (Which, is going to be important; has been renewed from when it was first filed in 2007).

Last edited:
Buying a previously owned park seems like a smart, quick way to expand revenue...

It's a really smart play if they could secure not just PortAventura World, but the land around that of the park's, hotels, and waterpark. Can easily see Comcast try to ressurect that once planned Studios park, with Hogsmeade and SNW headlining for European markets.

Short term, feels like a really good play and it allows them to see how markets are now compared to then. Long term it could be even better of a play. The question I would have though:

Would it be restored of the name when it was under NBCU prior to GE.

It's a really smart play if they could secure not just PortAventura World, but the land around that of the park's, hotels, and waterpark. Can easily see Comcast try to ressurect that once planned Studios park, with Hogsmeade and SNW headlining for European markets.

Short term, feels like a really good play and it allows them to see how markets are now compared to then. Long term it could be even better of a play. The question I would have though:

Would it be restored of the name when it was under NBCU prior to GE.

How huge would an HP land be that was a train ride or short flight away from London? Or would it be not a big deal at this point?

How huge would an HP land be that was a train ride or short flight away from London? Or would it be not a big deal at this point?

Would still be a much more notable train/flight, compared to a Universal park in France or London. Could also jive with the year round sun mostly there.

This is one of those things that I’ve never given a second thought to, but now I’m super excited at the prospect. For anyone not familiar with those history, Expedition Theme Park has a good video.

I'm curious whether the park can actually work as a "Universal" park, but even adding one of the I.P lands there seems like a surefire way to make some easy money.

Two questions to the more knowledgeable:

1. What made Universal interested in this park in the 90s?
2. Wasn't Spain one of Disney's initial survey locations for a resort in Europe?

Reactions: MatheusPG and Nico
Would still be a much more notable train/flight, compared to a Universal park in France or London. Could also jive with the year round sun mostly there.

Agreed. I’ve always heard that Spain is the #1 holiday location for people from the UK. I have no idea if this stat page is correct, but it’s the first result on google box.

1. What made Universal interested in this park in the 90s?
2. Wasn't Spain one of Disney's initial survey locations for a resort in Europe?

1. See #2
2. Yes. This parks creation was supposedly directly because Spain was not chosen. Whether it was revenge, or meant to entice Disney to a developed tourist destination down the line.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
In the hypothetical scenario where Universal buys this resort, they should keep the name.

It's a good name.

EDIT: Also surprised to learn Universal actually designed a ride for this resort that seems relatively beloved by its local fanbase?

EDIT 2:
Their obligatory 3D shooter ride is nicely themed, excellently paced, long, not a sensory overload, makes meaningful time for character interactions, and has better animatronics than Spaghetti Chase?

Last edited:
Wow. Just did some research and learned that Poseidon’s Fury has a Spanish sibling.

Templo de Fuego is an attraction that was built by UC at Port Aventura and it’s one of those cool old-school Universal special effects shows. It’s still operating!!

It’s like a combo of Backdraft and Poseidon’s. It has the dropping floor! (Like Twister and Backdraft)

Last edited:
Wow. Just did some research and learned that Poseidon’s Fury has a Spanish sibling.

Templo de Fuego is an attraction that was built by UC at Port Aventura and it’s one of those cool old-school Universal special effects shows. It’s still operating!!

It’s like a combo of Backdraft and Poseidon’s. Ithas the dropping floor! (Like Twister and Backdraft)

Every time I learn something new about these European parks, I feel insane for never having encountered it before.

I've also done some research, and I'm of two minds about an acquisition.

On the one hand, the park is clearly excellent, with world-class theming at a gorgeous location with a thriving tourist population. There's ample adjacent land around the park for expansion, and even areas within the park that would lend themselves to the dreaded task of synergy.

On the other hand, this park has cultivated a unique identity that doesn't entirely mesh with the Universal brand. Additionally, those expecting a "Universal" experience might be surprised to find lots of areas are designed similarly to areas at Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks, where a bunch of flat rides fill out the land's offerings (not a bad thing!).

Reactions: youhow2
On the other hand, this park has cultivated a unique identity that doesn't entirely mesh with the Universal brand. Additionally, those expecting a "Universal" experience might be surprised to find lots of areas are designed similarly to areas at Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks, where a bunch of flat rides fill out the land's offerings (not a bad thing!).

One of the core things that I think about this, is that I think NBCUniversal wouldn't of affected this aspect as much due to how well developed it was prior to the acquisition once. Improve upon it, bring the immersive scale with attractions where you can; but to keep it with the spirit and style that seemingly was present as it was.

Not a bad thing at all too, and I think even now it still works very well to where I don't think it'd be as much of a problem. Though it poses an interesting question to how a Modern Day UPR would tackle bringing it with Synergy, I'd imagine it'd be simply where it makes sense for synergy. Save that for a Studios park nearby.

Reactions: Nico
On the forums I was reading yesterday, most fans were excited by the prospect of Universal operations returning.

Although there are similar questions about how the Ferrari contract/park plays into the deal. There is also some umbrage with the quality of some the additions over the past few years and the roughness of coasters. Removing some of these issues with upgraded lands or IP integration may not be met with negativity.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
On the forums I was reading yesterday, most fans were excited by the prospect of Universal operations returning.

Although there are similar questions about how the Ferrari contract/park plays into the deal. There is also some umbrage with the quality of some the additions over the past few years and the roughness of coasters. Removing some of these issues with upgraded lands or IP integration may not be met with negativity.
Where did you find the Port Aventura fan forums?

And out of curiosity which offerings did they find lacking?
Though it poses an interesting question to how a Modern Day UPR would tackle bringing it with Synergy, I'd imagine it'd be simply where it makes sense for synergy. Save that for a Studios park nearby.
Kung Fu Panda could take the expansion plot in China. A variety of franchises could probably fit within the EPCOT style structure of the park. Fast and Furious is self-explanatory, Puss could fit in Mexico or the Old West, and HTTYD and Monsters could slot into their own areas of the world.

Last edited:
A great way to goose YOY increases is to buy a park you owned before AND still uses some Universal branding. I think this combined with Toothsome Lites, other restaurant ventures, and something else could really play into the Experiences & Destinations label.

Kung Fu Panda could take the expansion plot in China. A variety of franchises could probably fit within the EPCOT style structure of the park. Fast and Furious is self-explanatory, Puss could fit in Mexico or the Old West, and HTTYD and Monsters could slot into their own areas of the world.

I think it’sthis

That’s a good question. I fell down the rabbit hole the other night and just wanted to see what google had under the search Universal buying PortAventura. Coaster Force has forums and I just read the thread that popped up. I believe some of their issues were directed at Sesame area, the kids flats, and some of the wood coasters. I’m not 100% up on their ride names.