Twin Peaks | Inside Universal Forums

Twin Peaks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 13, 2013
Orlando
Having seen the first four episodes, the new Twin Peaks is odd, and that is by Twin Peaks standard. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it, but it does not always feel like Twin Peaks, to me it bears greater resemblance to Inland Empire (Lynch's last film), than it does to Twin Peaks. Some of it seems a little forced, though of course, I can't help but love seeing all the characters again. The great triple plus point: Kyle Mclachlan, his acting is superb; he plays different characters having the same form, and he does well in keeping them separate. I am glad he has this chance to shine, because I have always loved Kyle. Kudos to the makeup department as well, especially with Kyle, but also the way other characters are re-imagined, I think they are doing a good job. Some character reintroductions are quite hooky, but that fits, because and connects to the original series. Characters like Andy and Lucy were very hooky in the original, and now they have become stereotypes of their own self, I think that is brilliant. Still, it lacks the typical Twin Peaks atmosphere because at moments it feels too outlandish, as I said, too much like Inland Empire. My favorite moment so far, and the segment that was the most Twin Peak-ish, was the end of episodes 1,
with the man being arrested for the murder of the librarian.
This moment was pure Kafka, a surreal arrest as in The Trial. Note also, when later on in the series we see Gordon's office, there is a portrait of Kafka there. There is also a lot connecting to Fire Walk With Me! I think I somehow know where the series will go, probably will move slow with odd kinetic bursts.

I was a big Lynch fan in the late '80s-early '90s, but i have had a hard time sitting through his stuff recently.

I was initially stoked for the return of Twin Peaks, but I have been reluctant to give it a go.

I've loved Peaks for 15 years and have been so looking forward to this new season. So far it hasn't disappointed! Praise for Kyle is very much deserved,
It takes real skill to play 'dumb' believably, and bad Cooper is a revelation for his repertoire
. I love that it's all so confusing at this point, exactly as it was when we first glimpsed the red room in the first series years ago! I have no idea where Lynch will lead us this time, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange ;)

I was a big Lynch fan in the late '80s-early '90s, but i have had a hard time sitting through his stuff recently.

I was initially stoked for the return of Twin Peaks, but I have been reluctant to give it a go.

The new Twin Peaks lacls that Smalltown feeling which the original series had. Blue Velvet also had this smalltown feeling, and to a certain extent so did Mulholland Drive. Inland Empire was definitely very weird to sit through, then, when you remember his first film was Eraserhead, then well, perhaps nothing that much had been changed.

I've loved Peaks for 15 years and have been so looking forward to this new season. So far it hasn't disappointed! Praise for Kyle is very much deserved,
It takes real skill to play 'dumb' believably, and bad Cooper is a revelation for his repertoire
. I love that it's all so confusing at this point, exactly as it was when we first glimpsed the red room in the first series years ago! I have no idea where Lynch will lead us this time, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange ;)

I also like it so far, some of it seemed a little forced, particularly the scene with Ben and Jerry. Has a good intrigue, and for the most part makes sense, though I think he needs to bring it a little more down to earth still, as I think what made Twin peaks great was that as odd as it was, it also was quite earthy. And yes, I agree on the praise for Kyle. I remember he was afraid of being typecast after the original series, hence why there was little of him in Fire Walk With Me, and well, in the new series, he shows just how good he is and takes his role to a whole new level.

Also, as difficult as Lynch's work can be (in general I mean), a lot of it tends to make more sense when you realize he tends to employ a lot of Vedantic philosophy, though I think most of his films are never meant to be fully understood, as I don't think there is a real total coherence to them.

Reactions: amityboattours
Watched Part 8 first XD. Wtf even is this show....I watched the first few episodes of the original series and didn't see what all the hubbub was about. Now I see lol.

I find that for the most part, the new Twin Peaks stands separate from the original series; rather than being a straight forward continuation it is more like something standing by itself, it just happens to be set in the Twin Peaks universe. It is definitely very Lynchian, as such it is not for everybody, most likely not for those who liked Twin Peaks just for Twin Peaks. It is a mishmash of styles, he seems very inspired in blending styles from his previous work. The last episode (8), for instance, had similarities with Eraserhead; the scenes with the giant have to be some of the best cinematography ever. The kid being run over, the emotional depth in that was reminiscent of The Elephant Man, the acting of Harry Dean Stanton was great. A lot of the surreal mystery reminds me of Mulholland Drive as well, which I for me is Lynch's best movie.

Interesting note: when will we finally have more on the glass box?

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Series is good. I just can't give a pass to episode 8 because David Lynch gets to do whatever he wants in the name of artistry. That was mostly filler nonsense and a waste of time.

Series is good. I just can't give a pass to episode 8 because David Lynch gets to do whatever he wants in the name of artistry. That was mostly filler nonsense and a waste of time.

See I completely disagree. I think it was probably the best "part" yet. It was weird and terrifying, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I've actually re-watched the episode 2 times now. I rarely ever re-watch TV shows.

See I completely disagree. I think it was probably the best "part" yet. It was weird and terrifying, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I've actually re-watched the episode 2 times now. I rarely ever re-watch TV shows.
I agree, 8 was my favorite episode so far as well. True, it could have been done much shorter, but I think the length really added to the experience, it was an almost purely cinematic experience.