SeaWorld San Diego | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld San Diego

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am so annoyed by the people that saw Blackfish and started becoming "activists" without fact-checking the whole thing. Needless to say that the whole thing was blown out of proportion and when people interviewed saw the way they edited their interview and wanted to clarify things, the director asked to wait after Oscar season. Sea World has done a great service in researching marine animal life. Many breakthroughs were made by Sea World in conservation. Because of a stupid misguided "documentary" they are suffering. Good thing is that they are having an amazing expansion in the horizon.

Reactions: BernardMesa
I saw Blackfish and was upset with SeaWorld. Not because of the film but due to the fact that it took SeaWorld so long to respond. SeaWorld failed in that aspect. They could have done a much better job of damage control.

Reactions: Allen The Actor
SeaWorld Orlando has announced Mako, a 200+ foot high coaster that looks really fun. I know ours has height restrictions, so I'll settle for a Megalite. I really wish they would get on it with a new coaster over here.

If a new coaster ever comes here; I hope it is something like a Lighting Run. Those things are fun airtime machines and would be good for the familys also.

^A megalite would be more likely and more up with SWSD'S cliente. They're great airtime machines at a fairly low heighth and they're somewhat family friendly as they don't look "scary".

So SeaWorld San Diego is on its way to being ruined forever...

First the California Coastal Commission voted unanimously to permit SeaWorld SD to "expand its Orca habitat", BUT the park was had to permanently cease its captive-breeding program for the whales. Also, the park apparently can't transport whales in/out of the park anymore either. So despite all the good the park/company does.. it seems like they're not allowed to do rescues/rehabilitations. (its a little unclear).

And now, it has been announced that SeaWorld SD will be permanently closing their Shamu show over the next few months. It will be replaced with a new "educational experience" in 2017 that allows for a more "natural setting" for the whales.

<_<

^

Its going to make some radical changes to what SeaWorld is and what it does. The Orcas are atleast getting a huge habitat but its also preventing them to do more to study the whales.

It also makes me wonder if they're going to change the mascot of SeaWorlds national parks to become more in-line with the SeaWorld Austrailia mascots.

Also, it seems we may be getting a new dark ride for SeaWorld SD and Orlando based on Rescuing animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pretty obvious these asshats making these demands & whatnot against SeaWorld don't realize how much harm they are doing rather than good.

The other part of the recent news I forgot to mention was that apparently, all of the current land that SeaWorld SD had for future developments will be sold off to a hotel company to make a new hotel/resort or something. I didn't look to much into it... but yea... I'd much rather see the park get some new rides/attractions instead.

That's really stupid if they sell off any of their land. Since they're having so much controversy with their live animals, they should expand with more rides and attractions and become more of a theme park to stay in business.

Reactions: Wesker69
^so there's the hotel announcement...

And interesting about the new dark ride. My fear is that it will try to be more educational than "fun". The concept art "looks" pretty cool, but again... with the route the park is going thanks to all of the anti-SeaWorld people... I'm not sure about this new ride.

L7enB0X.jpg

No, the actual "show" is closing. They're turning it into a boring "educational experience". Of course, its not like the Shamu show has been anywhere near what it used to be for the past 10-15years, but still... If I'm paying money to go to SeaWorld, then dammit... I want to see Shamu jump through hoops for fish & soak the first 20+ rows of people. :p

Reactions: Chris
No, the actual "show" is closing. They're turning it into a boring "educational experience". Of course, its not like the Shamu show has been anywhere near what it used to be for the past 10-15years, but still... If I'm paying money to go to SeaWorld, then dammit... I want to see Shamu jump through hoops for fish & soak the first 20+ rows of people. :p
I guess we'll just have to visit Jurassic World for a similar experience.

I still find it maddening that they've zeroed in on only killer whales. No mention of dolphins or seals or penguins in captivity?

Really excited they're finally adding a new dark ride. I'd love it if we also got an upgraded version of the Antarctica ride as well. The themeing is so cool.

Reactions: Wesker69