Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Over Georgia

Jun 16, 2010
Florida
I'm going on vacation to Georgia this week, and one of the places i'm going to is Six Flags. How are the attractions? And is it kept in safe conditions?

The coasters or the gang problems? :lol:

--- Update ---

I was kidding. Well, sort of. Anywho, Georgia's Six Flags is one of the better ones in my opinion. An oldy but a goody is The Mind Bender, and Goliath is pretty awesome as well.

Six flags has changed a lot since i went there 4 years ago. The park is much better, they have worked with the crews and employees. The safety issues seem to be gone. But again SFOG is still in a very Urban Major city so you have to figure that in also. The weather will be hot so be prepared. Also are you staying in Atlanta? Sorry I mean to say I went in April 2011 after not going for 4 years. Also first stop has to be Goliath and if you want to take a beating ride the Georgia Cyclone.

I'm going in August with some friends. Daredevil Dive looks pretty awesome, considering it only has lap bars! I love that vulnerable feeling you get when going down a steep drop with no shoulder restraints.

Yeah. I'm staying in Atlanta.
I read some comments on Youtube about how Ninja hurts your neck and ruins your whole day ( sorta like Gwazi :lol: ) Is that true?

Ninja got one of GASM's trains this year, and supposedly it made the ride much smoother, so I'd give it a shot.
And a credit's a credit after all :lol:

Ninja is better then it used to be with the new trains still a tad rough. I hope your not staying right by Six Flags, BAD AREA......If you staying stop and look around area. Scream Machine is not near as rough as Cyclone. I have not ridden daredevil yet(so busy have not got back since my april trip) But my neice did and they gave it good marks.

I disagree. I think The Great American Scream Machine is much rougher. It's like a jackhammer into your kidneys. Cyclone is a different kind of rough. But its drops are smaller so I don't mind as much.

I think we're staying near Stone Mountain. With the laser light show and everything.
I looked at Monster Mansion. It made me grateful I live by Orlando :lol:

Be sure you try and go on a weekday, preferably Mon-Wed when crowds will be lighter. Weekends are brutally busy with 2-3 hour waits on just about all the coasters. Ninja, Georgia Cyclone and The Great American Scream Machine are NOT that bad. I've been on much worse. Mind you, you have to brace yourself somewhat, esp. on Ninja. I've never had a bad experience on any of the coasters at SFOG. Mindbender I would say is my favorite, just for nostalgia )and the fact it has only lap-bars). GASM is my fav woodie (mind you I've only been to parks in the southeast....lol). Hard to believe it was once the tallest wooden coaster in the world when it opened in 1973...but anyways. Other good rides are Goliath (of course), Batman The Ride (highly copied, but ok) and Superman Ultimate Flight (no where near the level of Manta, but worth a ride if the line isn't 3 hours.) If you want stand-up thrills there's the Georgia Scorcher...most comfortable of the 3 i've ridden (others being Vortex @ Carowinds and Shockwave @ KD) I couldn't tell you much about the flats there since I'm a coaster kinda guy and usually skip them. I hadn't been to the park since 2008 and hope I can go again soon with the opening of Daredevil Dive.

I have ridden Ga Cyclone twice and after the numerous Bruises I got on it my 2nd ride made it my last. GASM wasn't as bad when I rode in April But it is a woodie in the south and sadly most of them don't age well. Also I am 6'4'' and my knees are slammed in the back seat of the other car so that may pay a part into my experience. Scorcher make sure you are comfortable before you lock the seat in Place or it can be a rough ride and then there is a ride I will never ride again Acrophobia. Not because I fear heights or the drop But The seats made me sing soprano the whole ride...My nickname for it is The ball breaker.

Batman: the Ride and Superman: Ultimate Flight are both here at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey so, since they're clones, I can help you with those.

Batman is fun, but definitely not my favorite. It's very fast, but very compact, so it likes to whip you around a bit. I suggest not sitting in the front because, on the loops, you're facing the ground when the train slows and loses G forces, so you kind of feel like you're falling. But you might like that sorta thing :shrug: Overall, I would ride it, but not if the line is more than half an hour (but that's a personal statement).

Superman is a very, very fun coaster. Lying on your stomach - at first - is a little unsettling, but once you start moving you get used to it instantly. I like sitting in the front because you see more and, in the back, you get a lot more G's on the pretzel loop and it really pushes in on you. However, the line moves painfully slow due to the multi-step boarding. Overall, great little coaster, but get there just as the park opens or you'll be waiting for at least an hour.

Just my two cents :smiley:

P.S. Just something you should know about Six Flags (at least in New Jersey): when they say it's an hour wait for a line, it's anywhere from 18 to 30 minutes. We time it every time - from back of the line, to loading - so this is pretty accurate. But then again, there's the occasional slow-mover like Superman that will take the full hour.

Last edited:
Unfortunately from my experience @ SFOG, if the wait time says 1 hour, it means an hour and may be more like 90 minutes....lol That happened the last time I was there. I waited almost 3 hours to ride Goliath with a 2 hour wait time posted. Insanity. Of course that was like the first Saturday in May when they are only open on the weekend, so I didn't have the option of going on a weekday. I was already in ATL for a couple concerts during the week and added that to my itinerary. If you can go on a weekday, by all means do so. Summer weekends are jam packed.

What day of the week will be least crowded?

Hey guys, I'm in Atlanta all of this week and was gonna head out to this park. It is Spring Break for most school districts in the area :bang:, but despite that I'm still wanting to check this one out for all of the coasters. Any ideas as to which day (Mon-Fri) would be least crowded? Just thought it might be worth seeing what fellow OU members might think. Thanks in advance for any advice, everybody!

Pick a day get there early, I have never been to 6 flags during Spring Break so no idea how the crowds are. I always tried to go on Sundays get there early and get out before the after church crowds arrive.

At this point, I would say Wed or Thursday would be your best bet. Sure, It's not Disney, but the park fills up fast, especially after lunch time when schools are out. So get there before opening and get parked if you can. Avoid the weekend at all cost if you really plan on riding everything. In my experience, try and ride Goliath and Superman as early as possible. Those lines get outrageous when the park gets busy.