Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain 2012: LEX LUTHOR Drop of Doom

Feb 27, 2010
Oviedo, FL
For next year, Six Flags Magic Mountain is building the world's tallest drop tower (according to the press release):

http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/rides/LexLuthorDropOfDoom.aspx

Coming spring 2012 - the world's tallest vertical drop ride makes its home at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Named after one of DC Comic's most dangerously intelligent super-villians and Superman's greatest enemy, LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom is attached to both sides of the iconic SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton tower. You and your friends can experience this thrill all while SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton cars are blasted to the top of the same structure.

Sit inside a floorless gondola on one of two vertical tracks flanking each side of the SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton tower. You'll be pulled to the top of the 400 foot tower, experience a brief pause then drop at speeds of up to 85 mph. After the five second freefall, you'll be stopped by a sophisticated magnetic braking system just a few feet
from the ground.

[video=youtube;o1kj30tUDJs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1kj30tUDJs[/video]

thumb_dropofdoom01_300dpi_10x12_0.jpg

thumb_dropofdoom02_300dpi_8x10.jpg

This looks like a very sick drop tower! Hopefully I can come visit SFMM again soon. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Its getting ridiculous how much Six Flags Magic Mountain keeps copying Dreamworld. First off they both built the a reverse free fall coaster at the same time. Then on the first major renovation the cars were turned around at dreamworld and the ride got additional features. Then a week after the Tower Of Terror reopened Six Flags announced the same thing was about to be done to theirs. And now they are doing this which is just a copy of the Giant Drop. Can't they do something original ins't of coping an Australian Park, which have enough trouble trying to survive as it is. Even though they are half the world apart it still hurts Dreamworld as they don't have world exclusives, which attract people from around the world, and with SFMM having the same thing people can see the same thing for thousands less. It can be seen that international tourists at the park have dropped rapidly over the last few years and this will only make matters worse.

Business is business.

Plus it could be Intamin who pitched the idea in the first place. They could say "Hey SFMM look at what we did to this ride at Dreamworld, how would you like something like that." Money in their pocket.

Sorry Mate

Its getting ridiculous how much Six Flags Magic Mountain keeps copying Dreamworld. First off they both built the a reverse free fall coaster at the same time. Then on the first major renovation the cars were turned around at dreamworld and the ride got additional features. Then a week after the Tower Of Terror reopened Six Flags announced the same thing was about to be done to theirs. And now they are doing this which is just a copy of the Giant Drop. Can't they do something original ins't of coping an Australian Park, which have enough trouble trying to survive as it is. Even though they are half the world apart it still hurts Dreamworld as they don't have world exclusives, which attract people from around the world, and with SFMM having the same thing people can see the same thing for thousands less. It can be seen that international tourists at the park have dropped rapidly over the last few years and this will only make matters worse.

Dreamworld has very little on Six Fags Magic Mountain when it comes to rides plus there are few and far between new ride concepts out there that don't cost a massive budget...they have to an incremental approach given the dollars they have to play with. Who really would travell to dreamworld in Aussie from overseas except for the poor kiwis...those that can't afford a trip to the US or asia.

Then why even bother building one? :lol:

Besides . . . they built Sheikra didn't they? If they're gonna build a drop tower it might as well be a good drop tower.
Amen! Say what you want about parks like Magic Mountain or Cedar Point, but I personally love seeing parks not afraid to push boundaries on ride height and speed. We have EIGHT parks in central FL, and yet I still envy those in Valencia and Sandusky. I love our "theme" parks, but occasionally I want something more than a well-themed queue and ride. I want a drop tower 400 feet tall. I want a coaster going over 100 mph. I want an extreme thrill! And it's frustrating that I have to travel halfway across the country, or more, to experience one. BGT is the closest thing we have, and as disappointing as it is, I doubt they'll build anything remotely close to this.

Early construction has begun. It will be interesting how they connect Drop of Doom on Superman's track.

I'm actually going to SFMM in Sept., so hopefully I'll be able to ride this awesome drop tower!