SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It makes now sense for any zoo, circus, aquarium or any other business built around animals not to give them top notch care. Their lively hoods are built around the well being of these animals. Unfortunately most people are sheep and believe whatever they are told. It doesn't help when you have groups like PETA who think that all animals are better off dead then being in captivity. They make their voices heard and unfortunately people listen.

Eh, had a friend who worked for Ringling who also swore the same things about great animal treatment. Brought me to a friend's/family only preview of a new show - you could clearly see the scars on the flanks of the tigers from the training.

And of course what we'd consider harsh treatment for an animal that didn't perform on command - as this was still a rehearsal show.

Same things I saw at SeaWorld when I worked there - post documentary.

Critter doesn't perform, critter gets treated horrifically to do so.

Funny part was the third party they use for birds in shows (yeah, they hire third party to remove themselves from any liability or having the bulk of training/rearing happen on site in view of lots of workers). They'd claim the guy was all about his birds and they were treated better than the actors.

Ya know, until they were training them on a new trick and one would fly off into a theatrical light or something. Assuming it survived injury, it was denied food, and you'd see them specifically punish certain animals and rewarding others with food for doing the tricks properly. Then back in the box/crate to sit for hours between shows or rehearsals.

Funny part was the third party they use for birds in shows (yeah, they hire third party to remove themselves from any liability or having the bulk of training/rearing happen on site in view of lots of workers). They'd claim the guy was all about his birds and they were treated better than the actors.

Ya know, until they were training them on a new trick and one would fly off into a theatrical light or something. Assuming it survived injury, it was denied food, and you'd see them specifically punish certain animals and rewarding others with food for doing the tricks properly. Then back in the box/crate to sit for hours between shows or rehearsals.
Not the birds! :(

Eh, had a friend who worked for Ringling who also swore the same things about great animal treatment. Brought me to a friend's/family only preview of a new show - you could clearly see the scars on the flanks of the tigers from the training.

And of course what we'd consider harsh treatment for an animal that didn't perform on command - as this was still a rehearsal show.

Same things I saw at SeaWorld

I can't speak for Ringling Bros but what you saw at SeaWorld was probably just rake marks.

Here's my update and video from yesterday with some good angles of the new bar.

Video:

Flamecraft Bar Photo Highlights:

P1110855.jpg

P1110856.jpg

P1110857.jpg

P1110859.jpg

P1110862.jpg

P1110865.jpg

P1110869.jpg

Reactions: anihilnation
I guess this fits here since it will likely alter some plans with the parks in some ways:

David D’Alessandro is out...
SeaWorld stockholders vote off board chairman
SeaWorld’s stock jumped nearly 7 percent during trading Wednesday after shareholders ousted the chairman of the board of directors at its annual shareholders’ meeting.

David D’Alessandro, who led the board since 2010, failed to get a majority of votes in an uncontested board election. Some said the move showed investors’ frustration over executive pay.

SeaWorld’s stock jumped nearly 7 percent during trading Wednesday after shareholders ousted the chairman of the board of directors at its annual shareholders’ meeting.

David D’Alessandro, who led the board since 2010, failed to get a majority of votes in an uncontested board election. Some said the move showed investors’ frustration over executive pay.

The move came amid declining revenues and attendance figures for the Orlando theme park in the wake of the documentary “Blackfish” that brought intense opposition to live whale shows.

Reuters also reported shareholders were angered by executive pay under D’Alessandro’s tenure after the company disclosed in a securities filing the company would give bonuses to D’Alessandro and other leaders based on SeaWorld’s performance since its 2013 IPO.

The board of directors will continue to act in the shareholders’ best interests, SeaWorld said in a statement issued after the meeting.

“SeaWorld’s entire Board of Directors has been intensely focused on building value for shareholders by implementing a well-defined plan of fundamental change,” the statement said.

D’Alessandro, who was a finance executive, served as SeaWorld’s interim leader from January 2015 through April 2015.

Later during Wednesday’s meeting, SeaWorld CEO Joel Manby told shareholders he was optimistic about the park’s future and its intent to move past its old image.

“We are focusing with particular intensity on efforts to drive growth across our parks,” Manby said, stressing the company was still “intently focusing” on its bottom line. “We believe that our innovative rides and attractions from 2017 are some of the most exciting in our history.”

In Orlando, he pointed to Electric Ocean, a fireworks and music show meant to bring more people to the park during evening hours, and the virtual-reality roller coaster Kraken Unleashed — which opened to passholders Tuesday and is scheduled for a grand opening Friday — on which riders wear headsets covering their ears and eyes.

Another major new attraction is the recently announced Sesame Street land, which is set to open by fall 2022 in Orlando.

Boyd also stressed it was a pivotal time for the park.

“This summer, this year, is the first period where you can say this is fully the work of this management team,” Boyd said. “It’s an important year for this management team.”

Reactions: WAJAS and Mad Dog
After a few years of almost constant negative developments, it is nice to have a good 6 months or so of good ones.
Yea, that departure means just about all the bad guys are gone now. Manby is a good guy who was brought in after most of the damage was done from cost cutting, sucking profits out, over paying executives, and so on , so glad they've retained him....The whole chain was wounded during the Blackstone years, not just Orlando.

Reactions: anihilnation
If this is truly the "Craft" beer menu for the new bar, how many do you see that are "Local" like the signs on the work walls were promising?

If this is truly the "Craft" beer menu for the new bar, how many do you see that are "Local" like the signs on the work walls were promising?

Nine are from Florida craft brewers. A tenth, Sea Dog, may still be brewed in Maine but has an outpost down here in LBV so I'd give it a pass.

Woodchuck and Sam Adams kind of a grey area--far bigger than your average craft brewer but still not owned by InBev or Miller-Coors, so inclined to give them a pass as well.

The one that truly offends me is Blue Moon. Stella and Newcastle not craft either, but I imagine intended to cater to the Sea World's many European tourists.

Overall, not a bad line-up. Not World of Beer or Player 1, but show me another theme park bar with a dozen different craft brews.

Reactions: Alicia
Nine are from Florida craft brewers. A tenth, Sea Dog, nay still be brewed in Maine but has an outpost down here in LBV so I'd give it a pass.

Woodchuck and Sam Adams kind of a grey area--far bigger than your average craft brewer but still not owned by InBev or Miller-Coors, so inclined to give them a pass as well.

The one that truly offends me is Blue Moon. Stella and Newcastle not craft either, but I imagine intended to cater to the Sea World's many European tourists.

Overall, not a bad line-up. Not World of Beer or Player 1, but show me another theme park bar with a dozen different craft brews.
Nice assessment. I was only thinking 4 or 5 were from Florida, so better than I thought. And yea, pretty good lineup for a theme park.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The beer list is pretty bad, but I guess they were going for "drinkability" assuming the public doesn't actually know much about good beer? I imagine they also went with the beers they got a good deal on the beer being that those brewers have the most to benefit from tourists being exposed to their product.

The beer list is pretty bad, but I guess they were going for "drinkability" assuming the public doesn't actually know much about good beer? I imagine they also went with the beers they got a good deal on the beer being that those brewers have the most to benefit from tourists being exposed to their product.

I'll speculate there's a clause in their contract A-B gets at least one tap at any bar. Would explain Blue Moon.

At least each tap seems to be assigned to a specific craft brewer. Hopefully they can change beers out periodically. So, for example, when they get Sam Octoberfest, maybe Cloud Chaser will become McSwaggers.