Schlitterbahn Ft. Lauderdale | Inside Universal Forums

Schlitterbahn Ft. Lauderdale

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 15, 2013
Orlando, Florida
FINALLY, Schlitterbahn might FINALLY get approved for Fort Lauderdale.http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-fort-lauderdale-schlitterbahn-20140522,0,5873024.story
db_Schlitterbahn_FortLauderdale_art11.jpg
db_Schlitterbahn_FortLauderdale_art21.jpg

Reactions: Joel
that would be amazing. I remember going to Six Flags Atlantis as a kid. Some of my favorite memories growing up

I could have sworn we had a thread on here already for this proposed park.

Im excited about this finally happening. Rhino, Six Flags was the best, used to go there as a kid all the time with my family and summer camp. Was so sad when I heard they were demolishing the place.

- - - Updated - - -

The proposal if anyone is interested

Page 1 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Page 1.1 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

page 2 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Page 3 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Page 4 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Page 5 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Page 6 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Page 7 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Page 8 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Page 9 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Last edited:
So, I read an article in the local paper on what's causing the hold up. It's a long drawn out story, but it boils down to the owners of Rapids Water Park in Rivera Beach (a dump IMO), holding up the approval in court for some legal reason. Which in reality is just Rapids doing everything in their power to delay and stop this park from being built. They know once it's opened that they will lose a LOT of business. Hopefully, they can get passed this pesky hurdle and start building this summer. Their lease officially starts in July.

Reactions: Hockeyman55
So, I read an article in the local paper on what's causing the hold up. It's a long drawn out story, but it boils down to the owners of Rapids Water Park in Rivera Beach (a dump IMO), holding up the approval in court for some legal reason. Which in reality is just Rapids doing everything in their power to delay and stop this park from being built. They know once it's opened that they will lose a LOT of business. Hopefully, they can get passed this pesky hurdle and start building this summer. Their lease officially starts in July.

I was think about this last weekend actually, you would think the bigger competition for the Rapids would be all these local municipalities opening up their own waterpark and stealing away a lot of the local families. For instance, City of Palm Beach Gardens where I live has an aquatic center with an Olympic size lap pool, another olympic size general pool with 3 smaller size slides, rock wall and diving board, a smaller size kids splash castle thing and then a splash pad with fountains, and for residents cost us $3.00 to get in so seriously for a full day of fun is beyond worth the money. Compare that to the Rapids at $47 on the weekends then $20 to park its nowhere near as affordable for families. Sure these local parks don't have the big slides and everything but its something I know us as a family could do often over the summer.

I would imagine it will lose some business with places like the Broward County schools and camps that drive up here.

I was think about this last weekend actually, you would think the bigger competition for the Rapids would be all these local municipalities opening up their own waterpark and stealing away a lot of the local families. For instance, City of Palm Beach Gardens where I live has an aquatic center with an Olympic size lap pool, another olympic size general pool with 3 smaller size slides, rock wall and diving board, a smaller size kids splash castle thing and then a splash pad with fountains, and for residents cost us $3.00 to get in so seriously for a full day of fun is beyond worth the money. Compare that to the Rapids at $47 on the weekends then $20 to park its nowhere near as affordable for families. Sure these local parks don't have the big slides and everything but its something I know us as a family could do often over the summer.

I would imagine it will lose some business with places like the Broward County schools and camps that drive up here.

Fighting the City and fighting another private company is a completely different battle. The city ultimately has the power. In this case, I believe Rapids found a loop hole to consider the lease that was granted to Schlitterbahn invalid. They are stating that they have the right to bid on this particular land as well, as they are a rightful competitor. I am pretty positive that Rapids has no plans to open a second water park in Ft. Lauderdale, this is purely a stall tactic.

From my understanding Schlitterbahn paid a LOT for this lease, and the lease starts on 07/01/2016 whether they are fully approved to build or not. They will be basically paying a huge sum of money every month for a parking lot they can't build on. So Rapids is hoping that they can stall the deal long enough for Schiltterbahn to walk away, or force them to lower the overall budget for the park, which will of course affect how competitive the park will be.

It's really slimy, in my opinion.