Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

PTR: Busch Gardens Tampa 2-15-2014

May 8, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Here are some pictures I took while at the park Saturday, February 15, 2014. I went to the park to see Earth, Wind & Fire perform for Bands, Brew & BBQ. This was actually the first time I've attended this event and the first time seeing EWF perform live. I don't care much for beer so unfortunately you won't see me posing with a beer glass/samples. I did however enjoy the park as usual and even more so because of the concert. I'm a little late in posting this, but am just now having the time to do so.

My friend and I arrived at the park around 10:30. The parking lot wasn't too bad and only had to park a few rows over from Tram Stop 1. As usual (since it opened), I headed for Cheetah Hunt once inside the park. It's a good thing too because the park was filling up with international cheerleaders.

The line was about 30 minutes when entered and they were only loading/unloading on one side. I'm not sure if this was just normal since it was before 11, or if it had to do with the malfunction a couple of days earlier. While waiting, the cheerleaders got in line and started doing cheers. I was well ahead of them by this time so I didn't have to suffer as long as some others...lol When I exited I noticed the wait time was 90 minutes...well I wasn't getting back in line...too much to do. Apparently not too long after this the ride went down and didn't re-open for the rest of the day.

Next up was Montu; my favorite coaster @ BGT. The line was virtually non-existent so I got a good back row ride with no wait. As I was exiting all those cheerleaders were getting in line.

Next we ventured into Edge Of Africa for some pictures and hopefully see the animals active. For the most park they were. The Meerkats unfortunately were not on display today :( .

The hyenas and lions were especially active this visit. That's always a nice surprise.

The Nile Crocodile was ready for something to end up in it's mouth...

Falcon's Fury is looking quite impressive from the walkway near the Nairobi Train Station.

Cheetah Hunt leaping over the skyride.

I always enjoy walking through Jambo Junction. My only major complaint is some of the enclosures fencing makes it hard to capture great pics. I notice they've moved some of the animals around. My friend is freaked out by snakes so he wasn't too well that the Burmese Pythons were so close...lol

This elephant seemed a bit segregated from the others...and the only one close enough to get a decent picture of.

Now on to Pantopia. I'm still not sold on this new theme for Timbuktu. I agree it needed some updating, but I just liked the area as it was. I guess I will get used to it at some point; not that I have much choice. The area should be finished by the next time I return.

I can't wait to come back and ride Falcon's Fury. I've only been on one actual drop tower (@ Carowinds) so this will be a treat. I have been on a couple of launched towers but that's not the same. Scorpion and the other rides were running, but I wasn't about to wait in line for them this time. I'm anxious to see how the theater will look when it's completed, along with the rest of the area.

After leaving Pantopia we headed over to Kumba where I got a back-seat ride in. I don't know if it's just me, getting older or what but it seemed a bit rougher since my last visit in July. It may have just bee the particular train. Also during this time rehab was being done to Congo River Rapids so you could not venture over the bridge into Jungala and had to backtrack.

Lunch was at Bengal Bistro. We took advantage of the passholder deal of 2 for $20 (2 entrees and 2 desserts). Drinks were extra but it still came out to what it normally does when we eat there (since we usually don't get dessert). It would have been a little less if we had remembered to bring our souvenir cups to the park.

After eating we walked the Tiger Trail. The tigers were very active fortunately. Perhaps the cooler temperatures assisted in so many of the parks animals being active.

We ventured through Stanleyville, but because of time didn't ride anything there. It was already about 2:15 and were wanting to see Critter Castaways @ 3.

We did have time to go through Walkabout Way before the show however.

I always love coming through here to see the Kangaroos and Wallabies. Apparently some folks don't know how to enter an attraction as they were clogging up the entrance taking "selfies" at the enter gate. Staff had to ask them to move inside several times to clear the way.

I've been coming to the park since December '07 and this is the first time I've actually stopped to see Critter Castaways; obviously the only time I'll see it since it's moving over to Pantopia and getting revamped.

I really enjoyed this show. I'm mad that I never saw it before this trip, but am glad I made the effort. I've seen Pets Ahoy @ Seaworld Orlando and although similar, Critter Castaways is much better IMO.

After the show we had a few moments before needing to head into Gwazi Park to secure a seat so we checked out the Gwazi area games. They were still under construction last time we came.

Now it's time to head on into Gwazi Park. The new entrance is nice and was under construction last time I was here.

Good to know they warn people that there may be unsuitable language in the performances. I'm sure there would be complaints all over the news otherwise of outraged parents who were less than pleased their children heard a bad word. The line-up was pretty interesting earlier in the day. It was almost 4 when we came in.

As previously stated I didn't partake in the beer, although there were several choices and the crowd seemed to enjoy it...some more than others...lol The food looked good as well; esp the various types of BBQ. If I hadn't already had a big lunch I would have got a pulled pork sandwich. I did however get a salted pretzel with beer cheese sauce. I liked the pretzel, but the cheese sauce I could have done without. It was a bit too onion-tasting for me. I have a feeling it was just cheese sauce with onion soup mix in it; possible beer I suppose. Eh I only live once.

Although I know many enthusiasts don't care for it, SkeiKra looks quite impressive from Gwazi Park.

Falcon's Fury Photo Op. I should have held the tower up...but wasn't thinking.

Almost time for Earth, Wind & Fire!

They took to the stage and put on a great show. Pictured here are the 3 remaining original members still touring: Verdine White (bass), Ralph Johnson (vocals) and Philip Bailey (vocals). Also onstage are John Paris (drums), Philip Bailey Jr, (vocals), Bobby Burns Jr. (trumpet), Reggie Young (trombone), Gary Bias (sax) and B. David Whitworth (vocals).

Verdine White

Ralph Johnson

Philip Bailey

Once again the show was GREAT. They performed 90 minutes non-stop; playing such hits as: "Boogie Wonderland", "Keep Your Head To The Sky", "Got To Get You Into My Life", "September", "After The Love Is Gone", "Sing A Song", "Devotion", "Let's Groove", "Shining Star" and more.

Philip Bailey came out briefly to greet the fans and I shook his hand. As you can see he is bundled up here. The temperature dropped fast once the sun started going down.

Since it was a little more chilly than I like it to ride anything else, we headed over to Cheetah Gifts and other gift shops around the front of the park before leaving. I took a few pics of Cheetah Hunt which was still closed.

This was a special trip to the park I'll always remember. I should be returning hopefully in May after Falcon's Fury opens. We had dinner at the Outback in Wesley Chapel after leaving the park. They only had a 10 minute wait vs. the 45 minute wait at the one on 56th closest to the park. I finally used that gift card I got last year for my birthday (which is in March)...lol

So I don't need to write a separate post, does anyone know what they are doing with Tut's Tomb? It was closed with signs & props removed and the gift shop was converted into a makeshift arcade (games from Timbuktu's Arcade were in there). I know to some it's not that great of an attraction, but that area is lacking things to do as it is.

Last edited:
So I don't need to write a separate post, does anyone know what they are doing with Tut's Tomb? It was closed with signs & props removed and the gift shop was converted into a makeshift arcade (games from Timbuktu's Arcade were in there). I know to some it's not that great of an attraction, but that area is lacking things to do as it is.
Great report.
They used as the upcharge house for HOS last year, so it might still be in there waiting for this years event...

Great report and pics! Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

I haven't seen Critter Castaways, so I'm gonna try to check it out next time I'm there :thumbs:
Now, what coaster enthusiast doesn't like Sheikra?! Blasphemy! :lol: I love Sheikra...

Spectacular report and pictures. :3

I know a lot of people don't like Sheikra, but my friends and I enjoy it. It might be 'cause the wait times on Sheikra are almost non-existent, and getting up to the loading platform is great cardio. ;)

Great report and pics! Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

I haven't seen Critter Castaways, so I'm gonna try to check it out next time I'm there :thumbs:
Now, what coaster enthusiast doesn't like Sheikra?! Blasphemy! :lol: I love Sheikra...

The last day for Critter Castaways was Feb 16th. It will be moved into the (old 4D) theater in Pantopia when that area is completed as "Opening Night Critters".

Oh and I love SheiKra. It's maybe #3 on my list of coasters at BGT (after Montu & Cheetah Hunt) and currently have it ranked @ #6 overall in coasters ridden.

Thanks for that awesomerreport and great pics. I know some people have been critical of the Timbuktu re-theme, but I actually like it. The new vibrant color scheme really brightens the entire area. When all is complete, I think Pantopia will a great addition.

Skeikra, Montu, Cheetah, and Kumba are all great coasters. ^Also agree with #1 on your list.