Photography 101 | Inside Universal Forums

Photography 101

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hockeyman55

V.I.P. Member
Aug 19, 2009
Palm Beach Gardens
So for my first order of business I wanted to start a thread where I can post and share some of my photography techniques, tips, pointers, and so on and so forth, as well as any of you guys out there with anything to share for those who are looking to become better photographers. You may have been curious on how something was done or even have some tips for those new to the hobby, so here is that place to ask and share. So stay tuned.
to be continued

Heads up for any of you photographers out there. Adobe just release a new version of Lightroom CC. Below are some of the new cool features they added in this version. This is the main program I use for organizing and editing along with some other programs.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

Easily create HDR images
Create superwide scenes with stunning panoramas
Get faster performance
Easily find photos of specific people with facial recognition
Create video slide shows that include still images, music and effects
Make HTML5-based web galleries
Get better control of filters with the Filter Brush

Looking forward to this Photography 101 class! :lol: I've never taken a formal photography course, and haven't had much time to research it, so everything I know has been learned on the field. This should be good! Thanks, Mike! :thumbs:

Color Calibrating a montior

*editors note
wanted to post the article while I had time to write it while my wife chauffeured, I mean drove us up to Orlando and Tamp for the weekend. I'll update with photos once I get back on wifi.

So I recently bought a new computer, A Surface Pro 3, and of course was super excited to get my hands on it and load it up with my photo editing software to see how well it handled photography. My initially reaction was it rocked, super fast, stable and didn't disappoint, well that was until I started working with my normal work flow and discovered that the colors were just out of whack compared to my old Dell laptop I have been using, and man it bugged the heck out of me.

My initial reaction was to mess with the settings, adjust and try to figure it out manually and to my eyes it looked like I succeed somewhat but the more I stared at my screen the more I came to the realization that it wasn't enough. Off to Amazon I went.

I've heard about these color calibrators through other photography friends but never had any first hand experience with them up until now. I decided on one made by Datacolor, their Spyder4 Express for $59 seemed reasonable and had mostly good reviews.

Luckily it arrived today right before we hit the road for Orlando and Tampa this weekend so I was able to give it a whirl while at work. First thing I had to do was download the software itself since the SP3 lacks a disc drive, no big deal. Once on my computer it was pretty simple and straight forward while just following the simple directions. The cool part was it came with this sensor that you hang over your screen and scans the colors while the software flashes colors on the screen.

Once all said and done you are brought to the results screen where it shows you before and after results and you can definitely see there was a difference between what my naked eye thought was right versus what the program said was correct. I have yet to edit a photo with the new settings since we had to boogie and hop right in the van after work but from the brief time I had, the colors look a lot better.

Not that you can tell, but here are screen shots of the before and after

Well thanks for reading and feel free to add anything or if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: Joel
Photography Faux Pas

This is an introductory article for those looking to make a jump into photography, to learn some of the do's and do not's (mostly not's) of our beloved hobby. These tips should also be beneficial for everyone, from the seasoned vet to the soccer mom with an iPad. Ah, where to begin? So much to cover, so little time!

Flash Photography on Rides

Let's start here. Flash photography on dark rides. Don't be that person to ruin the ride experience for others just so you can get an overblown photo of [HASHTAG]#hatboxghost[/HASHTAG]. I'll admit, my wife has been guilty of this on more than one occasion and she has gotten the evil eye from me every time.

Selfie Sticks

Next up is the new craze that has engulfed the parks as of late. You guessed it: the selfie stick phenomenon. You know, I'm somewhat OK if you are someone using these to capture a photo of yourself or your family like this:

What bugs me is when these are used on rides or when people hold them out in front of them while walking around the parks. It's not only dumb, but also a huge safety issue for yourself and those around you.

iPad Photography

Another of technology's greatest gifts of late has been the arrival of the tablet photographers. This I just can't comprehend by any means. OK, you want to bring your tablet into the parks to pass time; hey, I'm cool with that! But for the love of God, what good reason is there to whip this almost square foot combination of metal and glass out to capture those precious moments while visiting the parks? It would be a safe bet to say that close to 100% of iPad owners (throw Samsung or whatever other tablets you see in the parks here, as well) own some sort of smart phone, so why aren't they using that instead? Not only do the phones have a better quality camera, but they are also less intrusive.

Wonderful World of Instagram Filters

Maybe it’s just me but I see a lot of people getting carried away with these filters. Crazy saturation, lens flares that would make Michael Bay cringe, and green tints that would make Neo puke while in the Matrix. Maybe it's just me and I'm over reacting, but I'm just not a fan.

Over Cooked HDR

I’ll admit I have been guilty of this. When I first discovered HDR photography, I was amazed with how stunning the photos looked and I knew I wanted to try it firsthand. What I didn't expect was to see some of the wild results that I got from the programs that I used. I thought they looked wild and at the time I was pretty happy with the results, but as I grew as a photographer, my style evolved and instead of creating these cartoon looking environments, I was focusing more on trying to create an HDR photo that captured the natural beauty of the subject I was shooting.

So, there you have it. A few hints and tips for today's photographers or soccer moms. Feel free to add anything you feel could make it on your list, as well.

Reactions: Joel and Mockingjay
Hey awesome tips! Was wondering if you or anyone had a suggestion for a waterproof camera. Going to Bahamas and want a camera that can get good underwater shots but also be used as a day camera. I have a nikon d5500 but have no experience with smaller or waterproof cameras! Thanks!

Hey awesome tips! Was wondering if you or anyone had a suggestion for a waterproof camera. Going to Bahamas and want a camera that can get good underwater shots but also be used as a day camera. I have a nikon d5500 but have no experience with smaller or waterproof cameras! Thanks!

Funny you mention this. I was looking into a water proof case for my camera last week. I came across a few.

The cheapest one I found. Im so nervous though about this one. Reviews seem to be pretty decent, only draw back is its nearly impossible to adjust settings once you are in the water. Id love to get one and take snorkeling with me. If you do go this route test it first with some paper towel in your bath tub,

For DSLR Digital Cameras

DiCAPac WP-S5 Waterproof Case for Small DSLR Cameras WP-S5 B&H

Here is another, about double the price though.

SHAPE Waterproof Compact Wave Case for Canon T5i, Nikon WAVECO

Last edited:
Not sure if they still sell them, but my daughter (who will be 10 before the year is out) learned to swim at a rather young age. We bought a disposable water proof camera that worked well for capturing shots of her underwater.

I do not know what you are trying to capture, but I have seen these waterproof bags that are made to hold a cellphone that look like you could could still get off an ok shot with the phone while in the water though I have never tried something like that.

I've had pretty hit or miss experiences with waterproof cameras. The best one I have takes pretty good pictures. Not sure about brand or anything I'll try to find that out later. We didn't buy it found it at the bottom of the ocean in the Keys.

Reactions: maxairmike
How about some tips for night (HHNs) shooting?
Please...
And how much editing do you do to your photos?

When I figure out shooting at HHN ill let you know :tongue: . I have a love hate affair with shooting HHN, first thing I need to get before this year's event is a flash with TTL that will meter properly with my camera. For years I tried shooting without flash for just walking around type shots with mixed results. You def want to shoot with something fast F/1.4 if shooting less flash, with mine being a 35mm. With flash in TTL aperture isn't really an issue so you can get away with shooting something not as fast.

For the longer exposed photos ill do a little more editing than a quick shot. For the walk around scare actor photos not too much at all, maybe a few slight adjustments in Lightroom.

Reactions: Octobers Fade
When I figure out shooting at HHN ill let you know :tongue: . I have a love hate affair with shooting HHN, first thing I need to get before this year's event is a flash with TTL that will meter properly with my camera. For years I tried shooting without flash for just walking around type shots with mixed results. You def want to shoot with something fast F/1.4 if shooting less flash, with mine being a 35mm. With flash in TTL aperture isn't really an issue so you can get away with shooting something not as fast.

For the longer exposed photos ill do a little more editing than a quick shot. For the walk around scare actor photos not too much at all, maybe a few slight adjustments in Lightroom.

I used a low light lens and just half ass it and let the camera decide... with mixed results. never messed with any editing software.

I've always just tried to catch the actors as they move into the lighting. I've never tried a flash, but I've always assumed it would kill the mood set by the lighting which is a big part of the feel of HHN photos.