Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mission:Space

Once this refurb is over, is one side still going to be less intense (i.e. no spinning) than the other, or are they doing away with that? I hope the less intense option is sticking around, because there's no way I'm ever doing the spinning version again after the headache and dizziness I got on it the first time I rode. It's the only ride to ever make me motion sick.
I'd be absolutely shocked if they took the green side. It would be a senseless move.

Yeah I always thought World of Motion was kinda bad. But I appreciated Horizons as the Carousel of Progress sequel it was though. I don't put it in the pantheon of really great theme park rides, but I thought it was solid.

From a scenic design standpoint, Horizons had some really brilliant moments. To convey the idea to people who've never done it, I explain that nearly every scene unfolded before you like the "flying over the city" scene from ET. They were all expansive and complex.

Motion was moreso about the tableau. All those "witty" vignettes people love from Jungle Cruise and Pirates and such were the meat and potatoes of Motion.

And also, people tend to think of the theme parks as they remember them "now" - when EPCOT Center opened it didn't have Seas, Horizons, or Imagination (nor World Showcase for a month, but even then it didnt have Morocco or Norway).

Imagine coming into Epcot and before you is Spaceship Earth. Then you can explore the Communicore buildings (which was extremely popular a the time). If you went east, you had Universe of Energy and World of Motion. If you went west, you had the Land pavilion with the boat ride, symbiosis film, and kitchen kabaret.

There was nothing else in Future World. But it was massively popular and had higher attendance than MK for the first few years (which saw Horizons, Morroco, and Imagination open.)

My understanding is that the green side won't be the same mission as orange anymore. Orange relies on launch and slingshot to make the show. Green is kinda meh because it tries to without it. So green gets a new mission.
That makes a lot of sense considering the ride wasn't designed with the green side in mind so whenever people in my party want to ride that side I sort of sigh and just go with it.

I get people have motion sickness issues, but having the same mission as Orange, which was a film meant to be intense, makes little sense.

My understanding is that the green side won't be the same mission as orange anymore. Orange relies on launch and slingshot to make the show. Green is kinda meh because it tries to without it. So green gets a new mission.
That makes a lot of sense considering the ride wasn't designed with the green side in mind so whenever people in my party want to ride that side I sort of sigh and just go with it.

I get people have motion sickness issues, but having the same mission as Orange, which was a film meant to be intense, makes little sense.

I don't know that a mission which eschews all the elements that were customized for the centrifuge component can result in anything much more than just floating around in space and not doing very much. So reading between the lines here, it kind of sounds like we should expect the green side's update to not be terribly interesting, which is a bit of a bummer since it's the only one I can do. Oh, well! At least Disney's trying to freshen up the experience.

I don't know that a mission which eschews all the elements that were customized for the centrifuge component can result in anything much more than just floating around in space and not doing very much. So reading between the lines here, it kind of sounds like we should expect the green side's update to not be terribly interesting, which is a bit of a bummer since it's the only one I can do. Oh, well! At least Disney's trying to freshen up the experience.
The closure is only about a month and a half so whatever is happening is going to be things that can be done quickly.

They can easily switch over a new film in that time, it simply depends if they have a new film ready to go. I'd assume they would upgrade the film quality of the Orange side during the refurb too, but that's not something i'm sure of. Besides that stuff, the RVs themselves just need general maintenance as almost all of the control sticks aren't working.

When he says "Pull back!, pull back!" at the end, you used to at least feel the tension on the stick. Even though you know you had no control, that was still part of the ride. I personally can't remember the last time I rode M:S and that worked and i'm actually someone who tends to do the ride a decent amount simply because it never has a wait.

The closure is only about a month and a half so whatever is happening is going to be things that can be done quickly.

They can easily switch over a new film in that time, it simply depends if they have a new film ready to go. I'd assume they would upgrade the film quality of the Orange side during the refurb too, but that's not something i'm sure of. Besides that stuff, the RVs themselves just need general maintenance as almost all of the control sticks aren't working.

When he says "Pull back!, pull back!" at the end, you used to at least feel the tension on the stick. Even though you know you had no control, that was still part of the ride. I personally can't remember the last time I rode M:S and that worked and i'm actually someone who tends to do the ride a decent amount simply because it never has a wait.

I understand that. I'm under no illusions about this getting a major overhaul from top-to-bottom. Though I am expecting new/updated film for both sides.

Here's an update from the mouse. Apparently it will be opening in August.

New Adventures Begin at Mission: SPACE in August at Epcot | Disney Parks Blog

And as it was announced at the D23 Expo, in just a few weeks, guests will be able to enjoy new adventures at Mission: SPACE – an updated Orange Mission and a brand-new Green Mission. (Orange is the more intense training experience, while Green is less intense).

The updated Orange Mission will make an even more visually stunning trip to Mars, while the all-new Green adventure will allow guests to blast off for an orbital adventure around planet Earth.
Awesome new poster released as well:

Mission-Space-2017-poster.JPG

From D23 we learned ILM is creating the visual effects for the new films. Can't wait to see Mars modeled by the CG pros. Rumors about the green side seem to indicate it'll be more about floating around Earth and a mission that doesn't involve Mars. Should be interesting.

I'm mildly excited for this update. I've always enjoyed Mission: Space for what it is, and now that I know what the new ride film is going to be, I'm glad they're differentiating the Green and Orange missions. Should give people who are comfortable enough a reason to ride both, and will basically be a new experience entirely for those (like me) who can only handle the Green side.

Here's an update from the mouse. Apparently it will be opening in August.

New Adventures Begin at Mission: SPACE in August at Epcot | Disney Parks Blog

And as it was announced at the D23 Expo, in just a few weeks, guests will be able to enjoy new adventures at Mission: SPACE – an updated Orange Mission and a brand-new Green Mission. (Orange is the more intense training experience, while Green is less intense).

The updated Orange Mission will make an even more visually stunning trip to Mars, while the all-new Green adventure will allow guests to blast off for an orbital adventure around planet Earth.
Awesome new poster released as well:

View attachment 4876

From D23 we learned ILM is creating the visual effects for the new films. Can't wait to see Mars modeled by the CG pros. Rumors about the green side seem to indicate it'll be more about floating around Earth and a mission that doesn't involve Mars. Should be interesting.

I think I fear being stuck inside a Mission Space ride vehicle even more than being stuck on the vertical lift of Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket.

I'll be interested to see if the actually fixed the broken effects in the cabins and what they actually updated on the Orange side. To me it just sounds like enhanced graphics at the moment. I sort of feel like it's a waste of a refurb to not put a new film in on both sides, but at least Green gets a new film purposely made for that side and the (lack of) intensity.

I guess the Space Restaurant should be cool though... makes it into more than just a ride and a step closer to an actual pavilion.

So there's supposed to be a major rework of the queue. And they mention making the restaurant adjacent.

So I'm thinking how they use the entry spheres and courtyard might prove interesting. I mean, it's not easy to access that plot next to the building - especially if they have any sort of decent capacity st the restaurant.

I've heard they turned it off because looking at it made some people nauseous...

Why am I not surprised? Disney fans are very sensitive, but getting motion sickness while standing in the queue is...humorous.
That may be their excuse for not fixing it, but from what i've heard, it simply was costing them too much to maintain. It would constantly break down so they finally just gave up on it.

The updated Mission: SPACE opens Aug 13th. Not surprising given the capacity being lost with Energy closing.

More details just released! Mission: SPACE ‘Relaunches’ Aug. 13 With Brand New Experiences | Disney Parks Blog

Starting Aug. 13, we will relaunch the attraction with a brand new experience and an enhanced version of the “classic” Mission: SPACE.

• If you think you’ve got “the right stuff,” take on the Orange Mission for a truly intense experience that lets you feel the force of an actual space launch en route to Mars. On this mission, you’ll dodge meteoroids, slingshot around the moon and attempt a precision landing on the Red Planet’s alien surface. This “mission” has been enhanced with new, HD video to make it even clearer – I can’t imagine!
  • Or, embark on the more family-friendly Green Mission – a new mission that takes you on an exciting orbit around Earth. On this amazing new adventure, you’ll take in sites like the Hawaiian Islands, Italy’s “boot” and the Northern Lights—as seen from space, of course—before finally landing at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. No matter which mission you choose, it’ll be a journey that’s totally out of this world.
In addition to all the “mission” updates, our partners at Walt Disney Imagineering have also made this attraction MORE family-friendly. Younger astronauts can now ride – the height restriction will be changed for the Green Mission side with the addition of new X-2 booster seats allowing children 40-44” to ride.

I wonder if there's any chance they might be upping the G-forces back to what it originally was for the Orange Mission.

Also, I think it's really cool that the Green Mission lands at Kennedy Space Center.

More details just released! Mission: SPACE ‘Relaunches’ Aug. 13 With Brand New Experiences | Disney Parks Blog

I wonder if there's any chance they might be upping the G-forces back to what it originally was for the Orange Mission.

Also, I think it's really cool that the Green Mission lands at Kennedy Space Center.

That is really cool, especially the part about the booster seats. Even without the thrill factor, the green mission sounds like the one I'm more excited about seeing.