Magic Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
While I think DL's iteration has always been better, it's also important to remember that MK's speedway has lost 32% of its length over the years as more rides were added in around it. And from what I can tell, it's going to need to be slightly shortened again to make way for an entrance path to Tron via Tomorrowland. Poor thing just can't catch a break.
Yeah, the area near where TRON will be going is going to need to be shortened.

At the same time though, Autopia at DL feels like it's very natural and like you're driving through forests at times. WDW's has never really felt anything like that.

While I think DL's iteration has always been better, it's also important to remember that MK's speedway has lost 32% of its length over the years as more rides were added in around it. And from what I can tell, it's going to need to be slightly shortened again to make way for an entrance path to Tron via Tomorrowland. Poor thing just can't catch a break.
I worked at the Speedway in 1974... it was way shorter even then. Thats why I was so surprised not only at the length but the theming done through the ride.

Reactions: ChristopherSE
I've gotten the impression that they're still considering their options for the Speedway. Personally, I hope they give it the Disneyland Autopia treatment with varied terrain and more meandering roads and such, switch to electric cars, and also give it a TRON theme. If it were me, I would just raze the existing Speedway and build a big enough show building there to house both the speedway and light cycle coaster in one large space.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I was shocked when I rode DL's Autopia. It wound through different types of scenery (city, town, farm) and not all the tracks went the same way. And it was loooong. (glad I didn't work that one). After that I realized once again, we got the cheap and quick stuff.

Disneyland's is better, but it used to be two different tracks. The Fantasyland Autopia and the Tomorrowland Autopia. The Fantasyland Autopia station was across from the Matterhorn entrance (the current off-road themed section) and the Tomorrowland Autopia station was where the current one is now. A while back, they combined both tracks to make one extra long track and added additional theming and a new large station area.

I was shocked the first time I rode the one at MK, it was so boring and barren of much landscaping or theme.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
The Speedway would be fine if they just replaced those loud, smelly, smoke-emitting lawn-mower motors...

Maybe go electric and then it could even fit in Tomorrowland.

More on the Tokyo Speedway cars... they are clearly being used for parts as seen in this picture. The car shell and vehicle mechanics are being separated:
PHOTO: Tokyo Grand Circuit Raceway Cars Spotted at Magic Kingdom - Blog Mickey

tokyo-speedway-vehicles-08202017-1.jpg

Don't the Tokyo cars have Honda Motors? Wonder if the cars they have are for a motor, reliability, etc test?

Some upcoming refurbs:

Liberty Square River Boat - Jan 8 to July 19th
Splash Mountain - Jan 8 to Feb 1st

The Riverboat will be closed for such a lengthy period of time as it is rebuilding the engines, install a new boiler, new decking, automatic feed pump. Basically all the guts are getting replaced it sounds like.

Rode the riverboat for the first time when we were there on the 26th. Nice ride, but not something I would do every time I visit.

Maybe the dishwasher is broken.

Or maybe they use less staff without washing dishes.

At least Satu’li still has real plates. For now.

Reactions: jtsalien
Maybe the dishwasher is broken.

Or maybe they use less staff without washing dishes.

At least Satu’li still has real plates. For now.
It did say that it was a test at Be Our Guest.

I assume if this "test" is proven successful, it'll impact all Quick Service places where real plates and silverware are used.