Magic Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Moving the security checkpoint is behind schedule (like any Disney project).
A lot of these infrastructure improvement projects get put on a very low-priority basis too, so if anything needs to happen quicker, they get put on the back burner. It's the same reason that the new seating pavilion at Flame Tree BBQ took a year.

Budget for these low-priority projects is also very minimal per quarter.

So, Epcot moved from its "permanent" screening booths on the east side to a series of tents right behind the metal fence they installed with the Epcot logo on it. It now runs parallel to the ticket booths on that side and across from where trams unload.

They really need to just make up their minds with these projects and build something. It's not like any security area is some fortress. Even the really nice ones are glorified shacks - but now we have more tents and such even when there are perfectly good permanent structures.

Epcot's security booths have always seemed the antithesis of the entire message of Epcot , that of world harmony and understanding. Instead of coming into what was the broadest and most welcoming entry way of any theme park, guests are funneled into a relative small area to be judged by security. That being said and since Disney will never get rid of this type of security, there is something Disney should do. Since the security booths are obstensibly in Future World and Disney is already putting out capital expenditures on security they should make Epcot's security as futuristic as possible, something like what was seen in the movie Total Recall, and maybe even have an outside corporation sponser the use of next gen technology.

Epcot's security booths have always seemed the antithesis of the entire message of Epcot , that of world harmony and understanding. Instead of coming into what was the broadest and most welcoming entry way of any theme park, guests are funneled into a relative small area to be judged by security. That being said and since Disney will never get rid of this type of security, there is something Disney should do. Since the security booths are obstensibly in Future World and Disney is already putting out capital expenditures on security they should make Epcot's security as futuristic as possible, something like what was seen in the movie Total Recall, and maybe even have an outside corporation sponser the use of next gen technology.

Disney would never do that. If the technology they use is the most advanced in the world, somebody with a bad mind would try to exploit it.

WDW finally saw its first phase closure of the YEAR today. At 11:45, MK went to a Phase B closure.

Someone want to post the phase breakdown. I forgot...
Park Closing Phases

Phase B Closing
No admission of guests with one day tickets, and no re-entering or crossing over from another park unless they have one of the following:

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
  • WDW Premier Passport, Annual & Premium Passholders
  • Guests with Memory Maker
  • Guests with dining reservations
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Harmony Barber Shop or The Pirates League.
  • FastPass+ reservations and is a WDW Resort hotel guest.

Like every other (non DVC) Disney project, over budget and behind schedule.

The enhanced screenings recommended by DHS have been in place for more than a year now and Disney is still so far behind on implementing a permanent solution. Meanwhile Universal, SeaWorld and Busch Gardens have been screening every guest entering their parks for months while Disney was just doing random screenings.

I went to Universal for the first time in a couple of months the other day and I was really impressed with the process there and the way they made the area look like it's always been that way with the new overhead signage/ventilation system over the metal detectors and how fast and efficient the process has become. Comparing that to Disney which is still using tents with giant cement buckets to hold them down and extension cords with those cord covers on them, it's shocking.

Then again, with Disney rather than just saying "here's what we're going to do" like the other parks do, they have to have Imagineering design everything and are probably creating an elaborate back story for everything they're going to build.

Like every other (non DVC) Disney project, over budget and behind schedule.

The enhanced screenings recommended by DHS have been in place for more than a year now and Disney is still so far behind on implementing a permanent solution. Meanwhile Universal, SeaWorld and Busch Gardens have been screening every guest entering their parks for months while Disney was just doing random screenings.

I went to Universal for the first time in a couple of months the other day and I was really impressed with the process there and the way they made the area look like it's always been that way with the new overhead signage/ventilation system over the metal detectors and how fast and efficient the process has become. Comparing that to Disney which is still using tents with giant cement buckets to hold them down and extension cords with those cord covers on them, it's shocking.

Then again, with Disney rather than just saying "here's what we're going to do" like the other parks do, they have to have Imagineering design everything and are probably creating an elaborate back story for everything they're going to build.
Don't forget the elaborate rock work required around the new security areas. :)

Reactions: GAcoaster
What's going on with the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant? We were there over the weekend and it's just sitting vacant. Seems like a big waste of space.

Hopefully they fix the Peoplemover soon. I've been to MK a decent amount this year and there's quite a few issues with it:

• Escalator up hasn't worked at all since some time last year
  • The ride breaks down fairly often
  • The new Orange paint is starting to chip away and the old blue paint is starting to become visible again.
  • Audio in certain sections of the ride has disappeared (Buzz audio is missing)
These are things that need to be addressed sooner than later

Last edited:
Hopefully they fix the Peoplemover soon. I've been to MK a decent amount this year and there's quite a few issues with it:

• Escalator up hasn't worked at all since some time last year
  • The ride breaks down fairly often
  • The new Orange paint is starting to chip away ahe old blue paint is starting to become visible again.
  • Audio in certain sections of the ride has disappeared (Buzz audio is missing)
These are things that need to be addressed sooner than later

Wow. Noticed the Buzz audio and escalator on my last trip, but didn't realize it was such a long term issue. That's Crapu Crapu.

Reactions: Nick
Wow. Noticed the Buzz audio and escalator on my last trip, but didn't realize it was such a long term issue. That's Crapu Crapu.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure the escalator hasn't worked all year... I can't exactly even trace back to the last time I remember it working last year either. I've been to the parks much more often this year than in recent years and this has been something of note to me continually over my visits.