Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

L.A.Mayor Considering Gondola From Universal to Hollywood Sign

You get gondolas! and you get gondolas! Everyone body gets a gondola!!

11jENMgBweUYzS.gif

The only place I could see them putting a gondola station is the furthest south (east?) section of the property, between the neighborhoods and the 101 freeway. Universal does in fact own this land and I cannot see how it would serve as practical space for any sort of theme park expansion.

28iugyg.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 2
It will never happen. One thing that LA has proven time and time again is they are extremely inefficient when building public transportation systems.

It's taking 30+ years for Los Angeles to extend the metro purple line less than 10 miles from Wilshire and Western to Santa Monica.

And the route the gondola would have to take, would have to go over or near some very expensive private property. I'm sure there would be a endless sea of lawsuits from NIMBY neighbors.

Then there would be the environmental activists that would file lawsuits as the gondola towers would have to be built on protected land.

It's a nice pipe dream, in most other cities around the world this probably gets built but not in LA or California.

It will never happen. One thing that LA has proven time and time again is they are extremely inefficient when building public transportation systems.

It's taking 30+ years for Los Angeles to extend the metro purple line less than 10 miles from Wilshire and Western to Santa Monica.

And the route the gondola would have to take, would have to go over or near some very expensive private property. I'm sure there would be a endless sea of lawsuits from NIMBY neighbors.

Then there would be the environmental activists that would file lawsuits as the gondola towers would have to be built on protected land.

It's a nice pipe dream, in most other cities around the world this probably gets built but not in LA or California.

I completely agree. Universal does own that property on the Southeast corner, minus the private homes above it. The distance, the very expensive homes in the area (and we're talking any where from $500k on upwards of over $4.5 Million), and knowing LA for you this is a pipedream. I would only see this happening if USH, built it out to include the theme park in some respect. But again, to build near those homes which would "invade" people's privacy... is a dream. I could be completely wrong... I just highly and I mean highly doubt it.

I completely agree. Universal does own that property on the Southeast corner, minus the private homes above it. The distance, the very expensive homes in the area (and we're talking any where from $500k on upwards of over $4.5 Million), and knowing LA for you this is a pipedream. I would only see this happening if USH, built it out to include the theme park in some respect. But again, to build near those homes which would "invade" people's privacy... is a dream. I could be completely wrong... I just highly and I mean highly doubt it.

I would slightly disagree.

There are many advances in the technical field that you can block out for a rather good majority, of the neighbor homes inside the gondolas, especially if it'd be constructed with Universal and (most likely), Doppelmayer.

I don't think it's possible. But, if it is a joint-venture endeavor, with the City of LA and Universal, I don't see it impossible.

I would slightly disagree.

There are many advances in the technical field that you can block out for a rather good majority, of the neighbor homes inside the gondolas, especially if it'd be constructed with Universal and (most likely), Doppelmayer.

I don't think it's possible. But, if it is a joint-venture endeavor, with the City of LA and Universal, I don't see it impossible.

I think the home owners will be just as mad about seeing the gondolas as having the gondolas seeing them.

This seems possible. But a lot would need to happen to make this a reality by 2024 for the mass of crowds coming. Could USH eliminate Falls Lake/Psycho House area in favor of a 2nd gate and add this in as an upcharge attraction??? Anything is possible with Comcast in the chair...but, I will reserve reality until I see movement.

Currently the neighbors complain and sue because the WaterWorld show is too loud. They monitor the audio levels coming from Stage 56 (Castle Theater) and now Hogsmead with the addition of a summer "show". I can't imagine them allowing a gondola over their houses even WITH technical advances. As fryoj mentions, the property owners will SEE them.

Another thing; there is no view of the sign riding up the north side of Mt. Lee. Kind of defeats the purpose of a skyway like that. People who were choking "all of the streets with a thousand tour buses" heading up Beachwood were doing so to see the famous sign. Not necessarily to get to the top and look at the back of the sign.