Jurassic Park: The Ride (Now Closed) | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic Park: The Ride (Now Closed)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There was an Islands of Adventure Travel Channel special from '99 to promote the park that actually had a segment about Triceratops Encounter where they tried fooling the audience that UC geniunely cracked the code for cloning dinosaurs. The rest of the special was sincere about all the behind-the-scenes so it was really just kind of weird. Like, you're gonna tell us about your T-Rex AA but can't "reveal the magic" behind a more advanced one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dylan Beck
Rode JPRA yesterday... thankfully did not get very wet, not sure if the water cannons were operational or not. Anyway.... I just have to point out how awful the condition of the dinos are. I mean really... Those people need to stop attacking SeaWorld which takes care of/rescues/saves the lives of marine life... and go after Universal for the terrible treatment of these giant beasts before they go extinct (....again).

The younger Ultrasaur looks like it has an inflatable plastic body, soo shiny... The big Ultrasaur clicks when it moves. The Stegosaur on the cliff rock looks devoid of color.. its like they forgot to paint the skin entirely. The parasaur is tilted weird so he can't properly spit water at you. All the attack dinos need work. Its bad. And then you have the T-rex who can now fly... because sure why not.

Oh and as far as the falling jeep goes... yea, it fell... however, its suffering from JAWS operational status (much like the dinos it seems)... it is totally gimped. It does what it needs to do, but not the way its supposed to do it. It rocked on the wall, fell... BUT it literally stops at the water. It doesn't "drop" into it, only taps it slowly. It was disappointing.

The above is all sadly true. I actually heard the clicking of the animatronics in the first scene over the audio. Seriously!

I'm glad the jeep at least worked but, I can't deny it that the ride is still just not in great shape at all.

Reactions: Wesker69
So when I was at the park last week... I encountered this.. A JP team member was driving this remote control JP jeep around near the ride entrance. Yes, that is a mini stuffed dino riding in it. Also... the JP jeep had packets of jelly bellys for guests to take. It was too awesome.
LiLwDPL.jpg

oh yea... always great to see this parked out behind JPRA while on the studio tour.. I enjoy the paint scheme. Too bad it doesn't have a JP logo too!
C8nyriG.jpg

Here some pics from Greg Pro about a Jurassic Park Mural he made in 1995 for USH.

"In 1995 I was commissioned to create a set of 6 murals for the Jurassic Park ride at Universal Studios California. They are still hanging in the Buffeteria. They removed the ones in the retail section. We used an Ectamural print process to enlarge the originals. I painted each one in Cel Vinyl about the size of a small surf board. Unfortunately some corporate bozo ended up with all the originals."

[Various Photos]

Nice find, I also posted about these along with some other information in another thread about 3 years ago you guys should all look at if you haven't yet:

So when I was at the park last week... I encountered this.. A JP team member was driving this remote control JP jeep around near the ride entrance. Yes, that is a mini stuffed dino riding in it. Also... the JP jeep had packets of jelly bellys for guests to take. It was too awesome.
LiLwDPL.jpg

oh yea... always great to see this parked out behind JPRA while on the studio tour.. I enjoy the paint scheme. Too bad it doesn't have a JP logo too!
C8nyriG.jpg

That is a pretty epic easter egg by adding that in there!

I realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'l beat it again. I want to beat it as much as I can before the feed it to the raptors. Although I have some extra thoughts to share.

After going on this ride for the bazillianth time, I really realize now that this ride needs a Jurassic World update. Pronto. I kept thinking about what they could do with it. Why in the world hasn't it been done yet? Are they just waiting for the sequel to come out so they can bank more money on it? Did they think the Wizarding World would make the park too busy to do it? Do they think it's still popular so they're not going to bother? Are they hesitant to do it because they'll have too few rides open to justify the prices, especially if the Mummy closes? All of the above? I'm really hoping they'll renovate it with the sequel to capitalize on it. The ride is really showing its age and the effects and AAs need to be redone. It would make the ride super popular and amazing again. It can potentially be one of the best water rides, if not the best, ever made. The flume is already retracked, just update the ride, give it a nice queue, and repaint everything else. And for Pete's sake, STOP THE CLAPPING AT THE END!

Speaking of the clapping, one of the flaws of the ride is that they acknowledge it's a ride. It's a holdover of the GE era USH where everything looked touristy and cheap. They clap at the end, they show promo video of the dinosaurs attacking at the photo stand, and they tell you, "YAAAYY! YOU SURVIVED JURASSIC PARK! Yay! Yay! Yay! Now give us your wallet!" Stuff like that kills the suspension of disbelief and ruins the story. There's a reason they never do that crap at Disney. I wanna believe I'm actually at JP. Not some ride at a theme park. I know they're going towards that direction, and they have since Transformers, but it sticks out like a sore thumb with Potter open. This ride and the lower lot in general lack a cohesive theme which brings me to another point.

This is going to dip over into lower lot redo territory, but they can have the whole hub up to the front of Transformers be redone as JW. Do a refurb of the Jurassic Cafe. Make the gift shop downstairs a JW gift shop. Have a monorail take guests from the upper lot to the lower lot and vice versa for alternate transpiration. Repaint the Star Way to make it blend well with the Jurassic World surroundings (Which would work perfectly considering those long escalators were in the movie). Reshape the Panda Express, Ben and Jerry's, and Starbucks buildings for Jurassic World. Heck they can still keep them but just redo the exteriors. Renovating the area, ride, and added transportation (The JW equivalent of the Hogwarts Express) Would be a big hit. This will give USH something big to offer when DL opens SWL. If they really wanted to sell this as a "new land", they would have to do something about the Mummy.

So if they were to do all of this and have the SLoP/Transformers strip be changed to NY, the Mummy ride would be the sore thumb in the mix that doesn't fit those themes. It's heavily rumored to be ousted next year, so this would be the perfect opportunity to have a brand new E-Ticket themed to JW to make a small JW "land". They would, however, need to replace Mummy with a roller coaster since the public would expect them to replace it with a better one. Solution? Keep the building, or expand it slightly, and have a spinning indoor coaster like Space Fantasy but themed to the gyrospheres. It would be a great roller coaster that may even appeal to some families. It would unify the theme and give the park a better coaster. 

While I feel like all of this should be done to match the new USH that's now shown on the upper lot, the biggest problem is that they would have to wipe out two of their already small roster of E-tickets to do all of this. This would also leave Transformers as the only ride on the lower lot for almost a year. Assuming they want to have this ready by 2018, would they really be willing to oust Mummy after this Summer as well as JP? They could wait until after Fall for HHN or pull a Mission Breakout and start working on parts of the ride while HHN is going. They would certainly win back their pass holders and draw a crowd with JW and SLoP. They could advertise "The new lower lot". I would hope they would be willing to do this, but seeing how their culmination of the park redo has ended with a fizzle, I'm not sure if they really want to go with this. This ride and the lower lot need it BADLY. 

Reactions: chris.g
I realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'l beat it again. I want to beat it as much as I can before the feed it to the raptors. Although I have some extra thoughts to share.

After going on this ride for the bazillianth time, I really realize now that this ride needs a Jurassic World update. Pronto. I kept thinking about what they could do with it. Why in the world hasn't it been done yet? Are they just waiting for the sequel to come out so they can bank more money on it? Did they think the Wizarding World would make the park too busy to do it? Do they think it's still popular so they're not going to bother? Are they hesitant to do it because they'll have too few rides open to justify the prices, especially if the Mummy closes? All of the above? I'm really hoping they'll renovate it with the sequel to capitalize on it. The ride is really showing its age and the effects and AAs need to be redone. It would make the ride super popular and amazing again. It can potentially be one of the best water rides, if not the best, ever made. The flume is already retracked, just update the ride, give it a nice queue, and repaint everything else. And for Pete's sake, STOP THE CLAPPING AT THE END!

Speaking of the clapping, one of the flaws of the ride is that they acknowledge it's a ride. It's a holdover of the GE era USH where everything looked touristy and cheap. They clap at the end, they show promo video of the dinosaurs attacking at the photo stand, and they tell you, "YAAAYY! YOU SURVIVED JURASSIC PARK! Yay! Yay! Yay! Now give us your wallet!" Stuff like that kills the suspension of disbelief and ruins the story. There's a reason they never do that crap at Disney. I wanna believe I'm actually at JP. Not some ride at a theme park. I know they're going towards that direction, and they have since Transformers, but it sticks out like a sore thumb with Potter open. This ride and the lower lot in general lack a cohesive theme which brings me to another point.

This is going to dip over into lower lot redo territory, but they can have the whole hub up to the front of Transformers be redone as JW. Do a refurb of the Jurassic Cafe. Make the gift shop downstairs a JW gift shop. Have a monorail take guests from the upper lot to the lower lot and vice versa for alternate transpiration. Repaint the Star Way to make it blend well with the Jurassic World surroundings (Which would work perfectly considering those long escalators were in the movie). Reshape the Panda Express, Ben and Jerry's, and Starbucks buildings for Jurassic World. Heck they can still keep them but just redo the exteriors. Renovating the area, ride, and added transportation (The JW equivalent of the Hogwarts Express) Would be a big hit. This will give USH something big to offer when DL opens SWL. If they really wanted to sell this as a "new land", they would have to do something about the Mummy.

So if they were to do all of this and have the SLoP/Transformers strip be changed to NY, the Mummy ride would be the sore thumb in the mix that doesn't fit those themes. It's heavily rumored to be ousted next year, so this would be the perfect opportunity to have a brand new E-Ticket themed to JW to make a small JW "land". They would, however, need to replace Mummy with a roller coaster since the public would expect them to replace it with a better one. Solution? Keep the building, or expand it slightly, and have a spinning indoor coaster like Space Fantasy but themed to the gyrospheres. It would be a great roller coaster that may even appeal to some families. It would unify the theme and give the park a better coaster. 

While I feel like all of this should be done to match the new USH that's now shown on the upper lot, the biggest problem is that they would have to wipe out two of their already small roster of E-tickets to do all of this. This would also leave Transformers as the only ride on the lower lot for almost a year. Assuming they want to have this ready by 2018, would they really be willing to oust Mummy after this Summer as well as JP? They could wait until after Fall for HHN or pull a Mission Breakout and start working on parts of the ride while HHN is going. They would certainly win back their pass holders and draw a crowd with JW and SLoP. They could advertise "The new lower lot". I would hope they would be willing to do this, but seeing how their culmination of the park redo has ended with a fizzle, I'm not sure if they really want to go with this. This ride and the lower lot need it BADLY. 

Personally, I have this as my feeling on what may happen for the Lower Lot, particularly JP. I do think that it will be a focal point of the revamped area, but I do NOT think that we will see an additional attraction alongside it that is themed to JP/JW. I do think that River Adventure will be revamped, with Orlando's around a same time-period; and that they would be not only making enhancements to the area surrounding it for USH to better immerse people into a sense of a mini-land within it; but that the entire attraction gets reworked in the theming.

As you mentioned; the attraction for USH has been re-tracked so the main thing they would do for the revamp is overhauling the Animatronics to make them much more fluid and resistant to issues seen from exposure of heat and water. I do not think that any of the modern cast (potentially excluding BD Wong for line footage AND narration) with the story leaning more into some of the original film as opposed to the Military sub-plot from JW, nor the Animal Rights tone that JW2 will have. The most significant changes set wise excluding Animatronics would be the Set-work and the Hydroplant.

The set work would be revamped entirely, making the greenery and rockwork much more realistic than previous iterations; with the greenery getting a major overhaul, blocking out more of the outside environment of River Adventure. And as for the Hydroplant, the entire exterior would be repainted, to match more of the colors of the Universal Orlando iteration including a brand new mural on the building's front section (the section facing the splashdown section of the attraction) while the interior gets brand new features. Not just in Safety regulations, but also in that there would be multiple new effects included for a brand new experience that adds more to the area.

As for why I would not have JP as a main land is simple; it's a waste of land when it could be used for a much larger project (Nintendoland, with why I am saying that is from the rumors of how much land that UOR and USJ may have for it..). And that the area surrounding River Adventure would be re-themed to a Central Park type area where Ingen and Masari had envisioned the opening up of other Jurassic Worlds to domestic territories with references to other Universal Parks in a sense.

As my typical speculation/crackpotting thread; I mainly wanted to say what I would think make's sense if Universal Hollywood gets a revamp to the JW attraction before 2020.

You might get that update, but don't expect much beyond what's already there. I agree that it's sorely needed. The other day I rode JPRA at IOA and while the ride there is in slightly better shape (the doors work and there's no constantly static jeep), both are very rough overall. It's pretty clear that Universal really does not care for it very much at least in its current Jurassic Park iteriation. It's easily two of the most tired attractions on either coast. Even IOA's Jurassic Park area, now 1/5th smaller due to Kong feels off and incomplete. Yes, there's the Raptor Encounter, Camp Jurassic and the Discovery Center, but walking through the main drag is very boring and seemingly lacking character like Jurassic World actually did in the way it was set up. None of it has aged well and now we have a movie that weirdly shows that off more than ever.

Reactions: Alexshow.
So I saw on the Inside universal twitter feed that the JP ride will be down starting December 5th? That really stinks as I was supposed to go to USH before the end of the year and probably won't make it before it closes.

So I saw on the Inside universal twitter feed that the JP ride will be down starting December 5th? That really stinks as I was supposed to go to USH before the end of the year and probably won't make it before it closes.

Some people are saying it'll open back up right after, but I haven't received any concrete word.

Seems like an odd time to refurbish a major ride, so who knows.

I'm sure someone has talked about this before, but I want to bring it up again. Has anyone else noticed the amount of FOG used in the ride? It's kind of ridiculous, honestly. I guess it's to try to hide the quality of the animatronics, which just seems incredibly lazy.

The timing of the refurb makes me think it will be for minor cosmetic work, ensuring the ride is open again for the peak of the holiday period. I could be wrong but it seems illogical to begin any major works that will keep the ride down over Christmas and New Years. It needs something substantial really soon, though. It seems like Universal have no idea how to maintain or repair animatronics to keep them in full working order-or simply don't want to spend the cash to do so. JAWS is another prime example. For its first couple of years operating after the rework, those sharks would thrash, mouths would work.. And then to see how it was operating during it's final run was actually pretty disrespectful to the attraction, guests, and the work that went into creating it. Jurassic Park is heading the same way in terms of functionality. Cosmetic work is the least of the attractions issues.

I remember seeing a video a year or so back of a guy who got to go into the control room of the ride where he was told the company responsible for creating the animatronics were no longer around. I can't seem to find it now but it may go some way to explaining why there has been no significant work on the dinos beyond a new paint job. But surely, there must be other companies and ways of getting them back into full working order? Either that, or take them away and start again.