Jurassic Park: The Parasaurolophus | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic Park: The Parasaurolophus

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 15, 2013
San Diego, CA
I'm really curious about how far the parasaurolophus in Jurassic Park actually is supposed to come up out of the water. In early videos from when the ride opened it's shown coming up all the way down to it's chest.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0yh2IejmmlM?feature=oembed(skip to 3:36)

So is this just a matter of it not working correctly (which would not be surprising) or was it reprogrammed/replaced to not fly up as much as it used to? Does anyone know how long it's been since it's worked at it's peak?

Can you tell I really like the parasaurolophus? Haha.

EDIT: Oh cool, I totally thought I'd clicked on the Lower Lot forum. Could a staff member move this for me? :ph34r: (Edit edit: thanks!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that clip. I completely forgot about it. Seacrest has such prominent....teeth. lol. Would make a T-rex jealous.

Anyway, look at not just the Para dino, look at every animatronic in that video. The wide range of motion, fluidity, and movement of the animatronics is EXTRAORDINARY!!!! This is exactly why I complain all the time. They're not just slightly changed, they've been HEAVILY altered compared to how they used to be. It's so sad how literally every animatronic is completely different compared to what it used to be. Quite pathetic. No wonder Spielberg was impressed back then.

*sigh* I don't want any updated effects, added scenes, etc. I just want the animatronics restored to their former glory.

Reactions: Jerry 92602
True, but not as much. When it used to come out, the underside of the boat in the right side would get a lottle vibration and bump that was timed exactly with when it popped out. Now it's done like 30 seconds AFTER it came out, and is so random and makes no sense.....

True, but not as much. When it used to come out, the underside of the boat in the right side would get a lottle vibration and bump that was timed exactly with when it popped out. Now it's done like 30 seconds AFTER it came out, and is so random and makes no sense.....
Man, I don't even remember that. That sounds awesome! The parasaurolophus was my favorite dinosaur as a child (I was obsessed with them!) and easily my favorite dinosaur on the ride. It would be awesome to see it working 100%. Last time I went it had a big yellow tube dangling from it's nose and everyone was giggling.

They've (sort of) recently added a sign on part of the rocky structure behind the stegosauruses that says "Parasaurolophus" with an arrow pointing towards Hadrosaur Cove, but now it's mostly covered up by the foliage hanging above it. Just a small addition I noticed a little while back.

Wooow... I am amazed on how the animatronics used to be. So sad that Universal let them fall in such disgrace. Do you think they have a refurb in the works once Minion Mayhem opens to make up for the loss of such a huge attraction as JP?? Since last I heard is that Minion Mayhem is opening on Spring, they might consider  to do a considerable refurb during those months to be ready to open in the summer. Do you think this could happen?? Please we need some love for this awesome attraction

By the way, I stumbled upon this vid. I have never seen a vid where people needed to be evacuated from JP. I think it speaks good on the reliability of Universal rides, since there are tons and tons of evac vids from Disney rides and only this one from JP (that I know of). The behind the scenes view is just priceless 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vtPujP6kRtY?feature=oembed

By the way, I stumbled upon this vid. I have never seen a vid where people needed to be evacuated from JP. I think it speaks good on the reliability of Universal rides, since there are tons and tons of evac vids from Disney rides and only this one from JP (that I know of). The behind the scenes view is just priceless
Great find indeed.

I was hoping for Hollywood but I guess i'll take IOA version. :p

Reactions: William
It is now my dream to get evacuated while on JP. I don't care where, I don't care when, I don't care why. I just want to be able to say I did it, and have plenty of pictures to prove it. :D

I remember that effect! I wonder why they got rid of it. That used to be one of our differentiators from Florida and Japan.

Shame that it went away. Not a fan of the effect they have in place now.

There was a few times I used that slight bump to my advantage when I was with people who had never been to the park. As soon as I felt it, I knew what was coming, That's when I got to watch the whole boat and the people next to me soil their pants.

Reactions: Krusty
Aside from the T-Rex of course, I think the parasaurolophus is the most impressive dinosaur within the ride. Can you image how epic it would be to see it working properly along with it's bump & water effects timed correctly? Right now it's really pathetic...I mean, last week the crest on the back of it's head was sticking out of the water and everyone in our boat was like "Oh there's another dinosaur! :D" before it even popped up.

I gotta say though, the big stegosaurus was working extremely well that day! I never even realized it's leg was supposed to move. Lol. And all the boats got backed up at the end of the ride, so we got to see that last spitter dino launch out of the bushes over and over and over. Haha.

While waiting in line about to board the boat I was looking into the control center and could have sworn one of the camera views was called 'mama steg tail' or something similar. :D

There was a few times I used that slight bump to my advantage when I was with people who had never been to the park. As soon as I felt it, I knew what was coming, That's when I got to watch the whole boat and the people next to me soil their pants.
I love watching peoples' reactions on the rides. I've noticed people freak out the most at that final drop in Transformers when Evac is caught by Bumblebee, the scarab invasion in RotM along with the backward part (even better when the ride pauses for 2 minutes in awkward dark silence and then BAM SURPRISE BACKWARDS), the parasaur & spitters in JP and that super loud static noise that cuts into Sideshow Bob announcing that he's taken over the park in the Simpsons.

I love watching peoples' reactions on the rides. I've noticed people freak out the most at that final drop in Transformers when Evac is caught by Bumblebee, the scarab invasion in RotM along with the backward part (even better when the ride pauses for 2 minutes in awkward dark silence and then BAM SURPRISE BACKWARDS), the parasaur & spitters in JP and that super loud static noise that cuts into Sideshow Bob announcing that he's taken over the park in the Simpsons.
That static noise at the beginning of the Simpsons still manages to freak me out.. :mellow:

Reactions: Krusty
Shame on me... I just went to the park on sunday and monday and I was confident that someone would already notice and take pics of the new additions to the ride... the first one is the ultrasaurus. the baby one now has the complete body with tail and all... it's brand new you acn see it in the painting, it wasn't working when I went thought, it look like it was dead... second the tail of the big Ultrasaurus has been added. Second is the dilophosaurs on the left when you are about to go up the chain lift. It has been refurbed and it looks quite nice. Those are the chanegs I noticed but I was sure that pics would have been taken by other members but no... damn it

Those are the chanegs I noticed but I was sure that pics would have been taken by other members but no... damn it
I'm always weary of bringing a camera on Jurassic Park - especially during the summer. Maybe someone will be more daring.

I always take my cam on JP, always daring. If I get a chance, ill show you what I just filmed last week. I'm pretty sure the Ultrasaurus' always had tails....

And yeah, the dilopho on the left before the ride up WAS finally updated! Not as great as when the ride opened but it has more motions finally and was totally reskinned, it looked great!