IOA Accidents | Inside Universal Forums

IOA Accidents

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 12, 2009
East Central Florida
How many deaths have occurred at IOA since it opened? I cannot think of one.

The only horrid exception was an injury on DD or DC and it was caused by a guest on purpose.

I scanned through it. The attractions haven't killed anyone if I read correctly. I was just curious based on my previous UC safety statements.

I also remember the guy that fell off onto the track of mummy due to some personal issue while loading. They installed folding rails shortly after. Did he die? I cannot recall.

I scanned through it. The attractions haven't killed anyone if I read correctly. I was just curious based on my previous UC safety statements.

I also remember the guy that fell off onto the track of mummy due to some personal issue while loading. They installed folding rails shortly after. Did he die? I cannot recall.
Yeah I hadn't heard of that one until I just looked over that article. It did say he died.

Thanks. We must impress upon people that he had some disability and that is why he fell through the crack and off the load platform. He wasn't run over or anything like that. His head hit the rail and that was it.

Sad/crazy that stuff happens at places folks go to escape. I do have a new appreciation for the lengths UNI appears to go through to do their best to avoid anything happening. I recall on my first visit being super impressed by OPs at FJ. My daughter was just tall enough to ride. They checked her outside and were straight up with us that she appeared to be tall enough but they would have a better idea inside.

She had no problem with the stick they use were the queues come together before the sorting hat. Then, when we got up to the load area, they pulled her off to the right, had her stand against the wall...the guy checking her seemed to be talking to someone on those radios they wear, he kept checking, asking, listening, eyeing her...I have no idea what they have set up over there and maybe it was my imagination, but they gave her the green light and she got to ride...anyway, I precived the whole process as rather professionally handled.

But to start hearing about that water park...in hind site, it is easy for me to realize, well what good is netting and framing that is holding the netting up? I mean, at those kinds of speeds...and to hear the words 'Velcro seat belts'...just wow..

Sad/crazy that stuff happens at places folks go to escape. I do have a new appreciation for the lengths UNI appears to go through to do their best to avoid anything happening. I recall on my first visit being super impressed by OPs at FJ. My daughter was just tall enough to ride. They checked her outside and were straight up with us that she appeared to be tall enough but they would have a better idea inside.

She had no problem with the stick they use were the queues come together before the sorting hat. Then, when we got up to the load area, they pulled her off to the right, had her stand against the wall...the guy checking her seemed to be talking to someone on those radios they wear, he kept checking, asking, listening, eyeing her...I have no idea what they have set up over there and maybe it was my imagination, but they gave her the green light and she got to ride...anyway, I precived the whole process as rather professionally handled.

But to start hearing about that water park...in hind site, it is easy for me to realize, well what good is netting and framing that is holding the netting up? I mean, at those kinds of speeds...and to hear the words 'Velcro seat belts'...just wow..

It never stops amazing me when people complain about the safety rules at Universal. Gee, maybe they are trying to keep you safe despite your best attempts to hurt yourself or someone else.. The constant complaints about not being able to take their Disney approved carry bags on rides. I really appreciate the way they watch out for safety.

Reactions: johnnyslimane
I would bet that the most dangerous ride at Universal/IOA was Dudley and has been toned down through the iterations quite a bit. We went either before it opened or right when it did and my dad got whiplash and a concussion on it. I had a friend that worked at the old photo place that used to be right across from it, and he would tell me that daily he would have several guests come in with bloody faces and broken noses. The main problem was that the drop was faster back then, and there didn't used to be seats separating the pairs of people so the person in front would whip back at the hump when the person in back was going forward.

pray tell?
Per wikipedia...

In August 2002, a woman was pulled from the audience to participate in the show. After being frightened by one of the on-stage monsters, the woman fell off the stage in fear; landing on the steps of the theater, breaking her leg. She was rushed to the hospital however was released shortly afterwards without any further injuries.​

According to employees, this happened at the end of the show when a monster that appeared to be a prop got up and chased the audience volunteer. Apparently that was a thing they used to do to end the show. Naturally Universal was sued and all the fun has stopped. (I have no primany sources to back up the lawsuit bit but have heard the same story from a few TMs. It could just be Universal folklore, but it makes a fine story regardless.)

Not IOA, but how we foget the infamous Horror Make Up Show incident?
I hadn't heard of that one until I read that article. It's hard to believe someone would react to that to that extreme. While obviously it's not good when someone gets hurt, if she reacted that well it must have been a hilarious show. Also good that Universal did't overreact like some other places do and cut it from the show.

Well, I was more referring to ride attraction incidents. I am still surprised no one has perished on Spider Man. That fall really convinced me the first time. And I have no idea how I survived the original DD. It terrified me a few times.

I still believe anyone traveling to a theme park should get an EKG first. Especially children.

I would bet that the most dangerous ride at Universal/IOA was Dudley.
Wifey ended up fracturing her tailbone on V1 Dudley back when we were in our teens. She still refuses to go on it, even after it was changed and safety'd. Man that original ride was a rush though, no restraints, and for the first few months those rails inside the log weren't even there to hold on to. It's surprising to think that such a violent ride didn't have anything more serious happen in the V1 version.

Wifey ended up fracturing her tailbone on V1 Dudley back when we were in our teens. She still refuses to go on it, even after it was changed and safety'd. Man that original ride was a rush though, no restraints, and for the first few months those rails inside the log weren't even there to hold on to. It's surprising to think that such a violent ride didn't have anything more serious happen in the V1 version.

Those were the days....I loved being lifted up off my seat

Reactions: ThreePack Shagur
Per wikipedia...

In August 2002, a woman was pulled from the audience to participate in the show. After being frightened by one of the on-stage monsters, the woman fell off the stage in fear; landing on the steps of the theater, breaking her leg. She was rushed to the hospital however was released shortly afterwards without any further injuries.​

According to employees, this happened at the end of the show when a monster that appeared to be a prop got up and chased the audience volunteer. Apparently that was a thing they used to do to end the show. Naturally Universal was sued and all the fun has stopped. (I have no primany sources to back up the lawsuit bit but have heard the same story from a few TMs. It could just be Universal folklore, but it makes a fine story regardless.)
Was this the old version where they had the guest stand in front of the monster for a photo, then it comes to life? I think that syncs up with 2002.

Reactions: snayberry