HHN 31: Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Allison

Staff
Apr 18, 2018
62B2E2D6-F465-4917-B5F0-B0BF6F82021F.jpeg

You’re Dead in the Water

In a New England fishing village, undead fishermen emerge from the waves to seek their revenge. You and your scream squad may have escaped their hooks in the scare zone. Now they’ll reel you in and drag you under.

Reactions: SeventyOne
From the Discover Universal podcast:

This is the return of a favorite scarezone we had some years back. Dead fisherman rise from their watery graves once again to plague the village where they set sail many years ago. This evil tide will drag the lives of all into the sunken depths. This is gorgeous and terrifying. It almost has a sad quality to it. There's this loss and terror and it just feels like this storm is pressing in around you. The set design is just beautiful. Breathtaking at times. You really feel this village and this kinda New England beaten down by the waves and cold vibe.

These blurbs you're posting in all of the threads imply the author(s) have been in the houses and seen the "beautiful set design". Is that the case? Are there already media previews etc. going on?

/I know nothing about this podcast so forgive me if it's run by the designers themselves or something...

These blurbs you're posting in all of the threads imply the author(s) have been in the houses and seen the "beautiful set design". Is that the case? Are there already media previews etc. going on?

/I know nothing about this podcast so forgive me if it's run by the designers themselves or something...
No sweat! The Discover Universal podcast is run by Universal themselves. The episodes posted today have the Entertainment Team on to discuss the houses & zones.

I don't get why they changed the name from Dead Man's Wharf to Dead Man's Pier? I know it doesn't mean anything but the name change is bugging me.
I think it’s one of two things (maybe both things):

1 - There was some sort of legal concern about “Dead Man’s Wharf” that made Universal skittish about using again.

2 - A wharf and a pier are, technically, two different things. Wharfs are more associated with San Francisco while piers are more aligned with the northeast… and this house takes place in New England.

I think it’s one of two things (maybe both things):

1 - There was some sort of legal concern about “Dead Man’s Wharf” that made Universal skittish about using again.
Dead Souls is the only concern I can think of

I don't get why they changed the name from Dead Man's Wharf to Dead Man's Pier? I know it doesn't mean anything but the name change is bugging me.
Technically it has to do with orientation, not sure if they will play into that or what that means for the house

Wharf's typically run along the shoreline, parallel to the water, while piers go physically into the water (I'm sure we've all been on one)

A Wharf has more concrete walkways while a pier is mostly wood

I wouldn't be surprised if they jump a bit into the "boardwalk" aesthetic as well

The "Fisherman's Wharf" area of Studios, where the original zone took place, is actually a good example

Seems they are branching out into the water a bit (no pun intended)

Last edited:
Was expecting this house to take place on the Seaside Shores of Alaska, but the New England States works though.

Missed opportunity if they don't bring back the tilted shipwreck scene from 2011's The Forsaken

Which was also a house that featured a "storm". So I'd expect to not exit this house.... dry. With "winter" in the title, it better "snow" too!

Reactions: shiekra38
Missed opportunity if they don't bring back the tilted shipwreck scene from 2011's The Forsaken

Which was also a house that featured a "storm". So I'd expect to not exit this house.... dry. With "winter" in the title, it better "snow" too!

Im really hoping they bring back a lot of stuff from forsaken. I know new things are great. But forsaken had so many great things I want back.
Like that tunnel

Discover Universal did a podcast episode on the tale of this house. Sounds really interesting. Hope they do this for all 6 originals! Cool to hear a more in dept backstory to an original house.

this was great - really enjoyed listening to it!Wondering if there will be Easter eggs (one Easter egg, in this case) in the house

Reactions: Kichkinet85
Im really hoping they bring back a lot of stuff from forsaken. I know new things are great. But forsaken had so many great things I want back.
Like that tunnel
Honestly, I would expect it to be very similar to Forsaken, only with a location change & snow/ice.

Wouldn't even put it past them to bring back the problematic light-up eye masks for a few scareactors in a new way.