"Freshwater Oasis" Expansion | Inside Universal Forums

"Freshwater Oasis" Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 7, 2010
Belfast, UK
So the grand reef is now open, let the rumors begin on the replacement for the old reef!

vhf511.jpg

I heard it was going to be a pilot whale experience and then other rumors is that it will be a tropical freshwater experience, such as an amazon theme.

------

Briman also questioned DC and they stated the announcement would be during Fall. :thumbs:

I thought I'd email Discovery Cove regarding this expansion and asked about an opening date as I want to book my reservation shortly and I don't want to miss out. Not only did they call me Amy but they wouldn't even give me a breadcrumb of information :lol:

It's is going to be "a rainforest-themed trail in Discovery Cove.
Documents filed with the water district and Orange County show that SeaWorld intends to convert a now-closed saltwater reef into a freshwater environment referred to both as the "Flooded Rainforest Trail" and as "Flooded Forest River Trails."

According to the documents, its features will include a "primate island" and an otter-viewing area.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-seaworld-expansion-20111007,0,5746603.story

Last edited:
I guess this is the right thread :shrug:

Anyway, SeaWorld just released a new construction update vid:

[video=youtube;xVCNAzFcEbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVCNAzFcEbQ[/video]

Thanks for the update BJCool! I'm excited to make my first trip to Discovery Cove once this opens! In a way, I'm glad I haven't been to a lot of these attractions yet, or in so long. 2012 is the year to be in Orlando, indeed! :thumbs:

In it's TurtleTrek report USA Today mentioned:
By early June, SeaWorld Orlando expects to open “Freshwater Oasis,” an environment that will include primates and otters, at its boutique sister park, Discovery.

So no real date, but we now know that it is going to be late Spring, like most of SeaWorld Spring releases.

The February-ish Google maps update shows a nice overhead image of the construction site

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Shamu...o,+Orange,+Florida&t=h&z=20&source=gplus-ogsb

I'm going May 26th and Jungleskip has a contact that said it should be open by the time I go at the end of the month, so here's hoping.

I'm going May 26th and Jungleskip has a contact that said it should be open by the time I go at the end of the month, so here's hoping.

Sounds good, will you just confirm it on here for us please if it is open if no one else does confirm it. I guess they will probably reveal it, but I fly out on the 28th so fingers crossed!

Any news on your visit if it's open yet or any news. We go on monday

- - - Updated - - -

Any news on your visit if it's open yet or any news. We go on monday

Is this following the same opening model of Despicable Me? Just...soon?

Any word on this project??? Hoping to head out there by months end.